Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which Kubota

View my Photos
KP
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-04-09          127437

I would like to buy a tractor and not sure what size and specifications I need. I have 1.25 acres to mow and would use a loader for various miscellaneous yard projects though nothing that would require heavy construction equipment. I need to build a landscape stone wall, till a small 20' X 20" garden, move mulch and stone, and slit or slice seed about an acre. I also have a bout 125' of paved drive to plow. I do not see a need for a BH so a TLB is not necessary nor in my budget. I have been using an old garden tractor for years and do not need any bells and whistles like cruise or even HST as I have been using gear forever. Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-09          127450

Look at the BX, many models only come in hydro today. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-04-09          127451

I know you said Kubota but if you're open to other brands the JD 790 is a reliable, simple gear machine that will last a long time. New Holland sells the TC-30 in a gear model that is also a good machine. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
jarndt

2006-04-10          127456

On only 1.25 acres you'd be crazy to go with anything larger than a BX unless you had a very specific ongoing task that required more size or hp. With the right implements a BX1500 or BX1850 would be perfect. BTW, dealers are practically "giving" away BX1500's right now. (makes me sick knowing how much I paid for mine three years ago) For bigger/occasional tasks, just rent whatever you need for a week/weekend. Renting is much more economical than buying more machine than you would use on a regular basis. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-04-10          127457

Sounds like a sub compact is the right size for you. I think most if not all subs come with Hydro trans. I take it you don't want the gear so much as you want to avoid the cost.

125 feet of drive will be absolutely nothing for a BX class machine, you will be wishing for snow.

Tilling a 20 by 20 garden is a one time event that will be over in a couple of minutes with a sub, the tiller will cost you 1 to 2 k. You might want to just rent a walk behind tiller.

In terms of slicing as for overseeders, if that is what you mean, an overseeder that you could rent is really heavy and requires a tractor more like a big "L" size Kubota, you can rent an overseeder for about $250 a day plus delivery, buy for over 2k. You could also use a core aerator a good one costs about $1300, a cheap one $400.

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Souc10

2006-04-16          127783

As long as were on this subject, do you experienced owners have a preference as to loader capacity and capability with respect to choosing a model? I am in a similar situation as KP and the 1500 is probably fine though all BX models have a limited lift capacity as opposed to the B series. Do any of you BX owners wish you had chosen a larger model simply for a more heavy duty loader? ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
bvance

2006-04-16          127793

As to KP's question of proper size, I'm on 2 acres with similar needs and find my BX 2230 very adequate. I know some folks (including myself at times) subscribe to the theory if it doesn't fit, just get a bigger hammer, and while you can use a bigger CUT at times, the BX will do just fine.

Sure a bigger CUT has more lift capacity but with under 2 acres, I can't imagine needing a bigger tractor....the job just might take a few minutes longer with a BX....but that's seat time right and that's one of the reasons we buy tractors isn't it? If you are using a loader on any CUT, make sure you have a ballast box or a box blade on the rear and the loader will do just fine....absent the rear weight, it's performance is very limited to say nothing about the safety issue.

Good Luck! ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-17          127794

I have only 2 acres and a 32HP cut with over 400 hours now. I often think about whether I could have done it all with a smaller cut. I have taken this tractor to the limit many times digging and moving boulders, pulling 6-8' spruce and transplanting ( I plant seedlings), in addition to tasks that a sub-compact easily could do. By paying 30% more than you would for a sub-compact you get twice the tractor and basically unlimited capability for a homeowner.

Which Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-17          127795

I don't disagree with bvance on the fact that getting larger than a subcompact can be a little nutty on 2 acres or less. However there are exceptions. If you have a place to hide it, if your residential neighbors aren't gonna go nuts every time they see you on a "farm" tractor, you have multilevel terrain, lots of boulders and stone walls to move, lots of big projects in mind or lots of time to create big projects, and you have the extra $ to spend - then maybe you would enjoy a larger cut. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-17          127808

One problem that I do get to see from going to large is when using the unit multi-tasking you might get to big to mow or get around your yard to fine tune areas. To have to carry one more bucket full or two often isn't as much problem as it is when your tractor is to big to comfortably go some place. Pick your highest hour usage and size from there and if mowing is included then the smallest tractor and the largest deck should be the way to buy. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2006-04-17          127811

I agree with Art in that I cannot mow my lawn with the larger cut. Also I think something smaller and closer to the ground would be safer and more comfortable to drive on some of the slopes I have. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
Souc10

2006-04-17          127826

All great points and food for thought. I guess 70% of my time will be mowing and a 60" deck would be a little too large for some tight areas so the 1500 seems to be the way to go. Thank you. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-17          127828

Size wise, the B series is not that much larger than the BX, the perception is skewed by the fact that the B is a lot HIGHER than the BX. Having said that, IMHO, a B would be an overkill for a 1.25 acre plot, no matter what the jobs. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
bvance

2006-04-17          127898

There are very few jobs where one can find the perfect machine. Generally speaking, a BX will be just fine for most jobs on most 2 acre sites.

As KP indicated, he will be mowing, putting in a landscape wall and tilling a small patch. The BX will do just fine. Like I said, he could get a bigger hammer (a B model) and do it with one blow rather than a BX which might take 2 blows.

I guess it comes down to personal preference, but the way I see his needs and using my BX for many of the same projects, a BX is good for me.

Good Luck. ....

Which Kubota

View my Photos
12251hd

2006-04-18          127939

I bought my 87 year old mother a BX1500 3 years ago to mow her nearly 2 acre lawn, replacing her old reliable B6100. The BX1500 is an ideal tractor for the task. It's safe, quiet, easy on the turf, and highly maneuverable. She attaches a small trailer to help her with gardening. My brother uses it with a blade in the winter to keep the driveway clear. A good tractor! Dave/ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login