Go Bottom Go Bottom

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Dave CT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-08          125761

Anyone have a reccomendation for a 3pt mixer i can put on my BX23?

I see adds for King Kutters CM-U but i believe it is too large for a BX23.

Thanks -Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125764

Sorry I am appt to use the economy of words as my friends have pointed out. The BX23 is very low and likely the regular mixer will not dump. There are reversing units that would work, but they are more money. One is from Canada and the other is from England. Look through the cement mixer posts for my name with the search tool, as the links to the manufacturers are in those posts. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-08          125772

Dumping the thing is the problem. The BX is built too close to the ground.

Even a tractor with 36 inch tall rear tires will probably not properly dump a mixer without backing it up unto ramps or some such thing. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-08          125782

I have a Mixer80, and I agree that it will not dump well on a low-height tractor. It dumps fine on my Kubota L2550 and Kioti CK30. Even with my zero-slump mixes. Now that said, a PTO mixer like this will run $800-$900 after all the smoke clears. A hydraulic motor mixer that is reversible for dumping is 3x as much, according to the unit I see in my Worksaver catalog. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-08          125785

They're pretty easy to build using an electric one as the mixer tub as a base.

If anyone is interested my design actually dumps higher than most. The tub sits above the lift arms and empties at the same height as the lift arms. It also doesn't use the 3pth as a dump mechanism, that means it can be used on even those traiuler hitch 3pth for a pickup, provided you have a means to spin it, like the hyd. motor 'PTO' setup.

Best of luck. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-08          125797

The big difference in cost for a spiral unit is the hydraulic motor. The hydraulic dump on the standard PTO mixer.

I would think a simple reversing transmission would not be that much. Couldn't they use something relatively ubiquitous like the transmission from a riding lawn mower to lower costs? ....

Link:   Help

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-08          125799

Eric, my design isn't even that fancy.

Gravity holds the mixing drum against a small trailer tire mounted on the end of the (chain & gear speed reduced) PTO driveshaft.

The unit dumps by means of a tipping subframe on which the drum is mounted. A single inexpensive hyd. cylinder tips and returns the whole thing.

I've found that the time, cost and hassle of achieving a higher dump by means of a reversible drum with spiral flutes far exceeds a $79 cylinder to tip over a standard drum from an electric mixer.

If you want a more 'industrial' job, the manuf. of the big commercial units sell drums seprately since they tend to lead a tough life in full time work.

Best of luck. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Dave CT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-08          125801

thanks - understood the comments, I don't really care about he duming issue, i can build earthen ramps where needed, but i do need a mix fair amount and i'm concernmed with the little Bx's ability to keep up.

Thanks -dave ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-09          125890

Hey, Murf, let's see a photo! I did mot see it in your collection.

What I have learned from my MIXER80 3-pt mixer efforts:
> you must have power dump. this and other units have only single-acting cyls. You need DA.
> at idle, this chain drive mixer still turns a little too fast
> I can mix 1000 lb of concrete at a time. you can design your own mix for exactly the right concrete for your app.
> I have had numerous offers to buy my mixer (refused). Once I got everything working, it is indispensible. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-09          125897

Ask and ye shall receive!

New picture # 16 is the mixer. The tractor end of the driveshaft is not shown. Barely visible is the tire at the right hand end of the shaft below the drum. It is what made the second (fainter) dark band around the drum just behind the tilt frame.

At idle the pto spins it more than slow enough.

Best of luck. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-10          125924

Murf:
Photo #16 still looks like an RTV with a spreader. The title got changed, though. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Murf

2006-03-10          125925

Your machine is loading the picture out of the cache.

Try bringing up the picture then hit the 'refresh' button.

I look at it from another machine and it's definitely changed.

Best of luck. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
Peters

2006-03-14          126121

I see no one answered your question. The standard Worksaver PTO mixer looks for 25 HP PTO and loaded it is near 1000 lb at least 24 inches beyond the pins. I think you are stretching it a bit with only 16.7 HP PTO and 680 capacity in the up position.
As Art White said the other day (resident Kubota IH dealer), most of the equipment failures are related to exceeding the capacity of the equipment in some way. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-03-14          126140

Peters is the master of understatement.

I hadn't stopped to think about the weight issue..... just the dumping problem.

1000 pounds that far out on the 3 point will set that poor little tractor on its butt.

If you load up the FEL to counter the "squat" the weight will flatten the rear tires. You can ask me how I know but I will deny everything. ....

3PT mixer for a BX 23

View my Photos
dfkrug

2006-03-15          126156

The tractor power is not an issue. It only takes a few hp for the PTO to turn the drum. Weight is important, of course, if your 3pt can only lift less than the total weight of the unit plus the mud. Just put less mud in it. The deal killer is the tractor height. I like the idea (mentioned before) of a reversing gear box for the PTO. THAT would require a drum with flutes rather than paddles, however. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login