Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-16          124595

I'm wondering if there is a quick fix for a problem I'm experiencing with my bx23.

Yesterday, I decided to put the FEL and BH back on before I send it in for the 50 hour service. It started right up after sitting 2 months. I got the FEL on with no problems. I then backed up to the BH and stopped the engine to pull off the 3 point hitch. When I went back to start the engine nothing happened. Totally dead...almost. The dummy lights were real dim. The starter didn't turn over at all. When I turned the key off, I heard a relay clicking very fast for about 2 seconds. I thought the battery was dead so I charged it. Still the same results, the starter didn't turn and the relay clicked for about 2 seconds when I turned off the key. I tried a different battery with the same results. Another thing I noticed is that with the key off, and the hazard lights on, the relay makes a real fast clicking sound and it sounds like a buzzer. Any ideas?

The reason I say quick fix is that it just so happens that I have the dealer coming next week to pick it up for the 50 hour service. Sure would make it alot easier if I could drive it up on the trailer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124596

clean the battery terminals on the batteries and the terminals on the tractors. Clean the washers and the fittings on the starter end. Once all the connections are clean see what happens. Most of the time this will fix the problem. Does your tractor have a cut out switch on the seat or shifter. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-16          124600

I don't know of a quick fix for your problem as it sounds like there is a definite problem in the electrical system. I'd start by pulling the fuse for the hazard lights and see where it leads you with the relay as to a change. You more then likely have a ground problem that is back feeding. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-02-16          124602

No insight in to your tractor not cranking but if the dummy lights are the front lights and if your BX came with the same headlights my B did you can place a higher wattage bulb in them. Orginial wiring and light fixture worked very well with the new bulbs.

Wish I had come across this before adding additional work lights. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
jimbrown

2006-02-16          124608

Sounds to me like you may pinched some wires when you put the FEL back on. Some them hang down pretty low in the area where the loader sits on the frame. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-02-16          124609

Good point. Sounds like a dead short and that certainly would cause one........... ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963

2006-02-16          124620

thank you all for your responses.

-I cleaned the battery posts and connections but the problem is still the same. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the starter since the hazard lights won't even flash and the relay sounds like a buzzer.

-Yes, there is a push button cutoff switch under the seat and it worked fine when I tested it with my ohm meter.

-I checked all around the FEL and didn't see any pinched wires.

I checked the fuses under the console and they were all good. I pulled each one, and was able to isolate which fuse controls the relay/ or what I think is a relay. The device making the buzzing sound is mounted under the console on the back wall up high directly behind the negative post of the battery. It has 7 wires going to it. Is it a relay?

I also check the current draw from the battery and it is less than .4 amps with the hazard lights on. 0 with them off. A ground loop is a definate possibility.

It would be easy to isolate the faulty component with a wiring diagram.

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963

2006-02-16          124654

I checked it over again and there are not any wires pinched between the FEL and the frame. I'm trying to find a wiring diagram so I can track the problem down. I spoke to the dealer today and he didn't seem to concerned about being able to get it running so we can load it on the trailer. He said he has ways of getting around those problems. I'm guessing he has either repo'd a few or knows excactly whats up. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
boiler

2006-02-16          124688

I thought that the warranty should cover these problems seeing that you only have 50 Hrs. on it? Unless maybe you don't use it often and it is a few years old? ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963

2006-02-16          124689

I'm pretty sure the warranty will cover it. It is less than a year old. I've pretty much given up on trying to figure out the problem. Without a wiring diagram, it is pretty hard. The dealer will be picking it up on Monday so I'll just leave it alone until then. I'm sure he can figure out a way to get it loaded on the trailer without to much trouble. I appreciate all the responses from you guys. thanks ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963

2006-02-20          124863

It looks like the problem is somewhere in the main cable that runs from the battery to the starter. The dealer was able to bypass it with some jumper cables and it started right up. I asked him to let me know what they end up replacing to fix it. ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
ron

2006-03-18          126275

Check the starter solenoid. Put a test light on the small post. One side should be hot. Do the key and see it the other side lights the light. If so check the large post one should be hot with the key on. When you go to start with the key it should light the other large post and start. I ll bet it is stuck. It just happened when you shut it off and has nothing to do with the loader ....

bx23 electrical problem

View my Photos
cheezy1963

2006-03-19          126310

The problem ended up being the main battery cable and the dealer replaced it. I got it back just in time to dig my pond out before the rain. Thanks to all who helped. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login