Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-28          123663

Ok, this is what I found out. My homeowners insurance covers my tractor on my property and 100 miles from my property (in transportation to and from my property.) So my place up north is 185 miles from my house, so when I am out of range of one place I am in range of the other, since I have insurance on both places.
I gave my agent serial numbers and the cost of the tractor and each implament so they know what they are insuring, not just a lawn tractor. She is going to mail me the coverage in writing.
My new 18` trailer will be covered under my auto insurance. I gave her the make, serial number and cost for that also.
There is no additional cost to my homeowners policy but there will be a slight cost on the auto for a rider on that policy. But like someone said, she knew nothing about the coverage on a tractor so she had to make calls to the underwriters to get clarification on everything. I took her awhile but she spent some time and I am satisfied. She is my cousins sons` Godmother and did her best and to make sure that I was covered. She explained to the underwriters that this was a real tractor and not just a lawn tractor. It was to be used for work on my property,digging, moving dirt, leveling and scraping.
But here is the kicker. When I go to pick up my tractor on monday, it is out of the 100 mile range. And if my tractor is NOT on my policy, it WILL be covered if I have an accident. The 100 mile rules does not apply. I know it sounds fishy but that is what she said. So she is not putting it on my policy until I get home with my new toy, I mean tool.
I hae a day or two before I get my new tractor, so I might go out and check with some tractor or agricultural insurer and see if I can get transportaion insurance. It will probably be fairly cheap and the peace of will be worth a few bucks.

Ray

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-28          123664

At the time the tractor is on a trailer and and hooked the load goes with the trailer and it's insureance back to the tow car in most all cituations in NY. ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357

2006-01-28          123668

Don`t ask me why, but my insurer in Michigan says as long as I DO NOT have the tractor insurance in place and DO NOT have the 100 mile stipulation in place, my auto insurance policy will cover the tractor and trailer. Once I tell her it made it safely home and she actually puts it down in writing, my homeowner policy will take over. It sounds a little corny, but that is the deal.
The guy I am buying the tractor from says he gets insurance whenever is delivering a new tractor to a buyer. I am going to call him today and get the insurers name and see if I can get additional insurance just for peace of mind, as long as it is not an outrages amount.

Ray ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-28          123675

I am amazed at part of this. With Art in NY I am not surprised as NY has some different insurance laws.

Maybe my amazement would be answered in this question, what is the coverage? Does it cover liablity of the tractor only, liability of you operating the tractor, theft of the tractor, repair to the tractor if damage?

The line there is no cost to add it causes part of my amazement. Maybe Mich. lawmakers love tractors and included them.

I did ask a local Allstate agent this past week and she said very quickly, no tractor coverage but this is SC. ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357

2006-01-28          123682

The coverage I recieve on my tractor from my homeowners insurance is replacement of my tractor and its implements in case of an accident transporting my tractor to and from my two homes and theft of the tractor, or if a meteor lands on it. This is at no extra cost.
NO, it does not cover my tractor if I break or bend something in my use of the tractor. Which is perfectly OK with me, I do not want tractor insurance per say, If I break my tractor, I will fix it or buy what I have broke, thats the way I want it. I have a manufacturer warranty till the end of 2007 by Kubota for the usual stuff.
There is an insurance you can buy for use of the tractor, which I do not want, If I drive my tractor into a tree or something, I will fix or pay for that. I feel I should pay for that fupaux myself and maybe I won`t do it again.

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-28          123694

Zorro,

Earlier I said insurance is regulated at the state level. Could be your state is different on this than mine. It also could be your company happens to offer this coverage and another homeowners policy in your state does not. You just have to ask.

I have no doubt your agent is very honest. It is good your company will cover your tractor and equipment with no premium to do so. ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
simonmeridew

2006-01-30          123819

Hi Zorro:
The problem with liability disputes and insurance is not when you run into someone's tree or knock their fence over; there are other much more subtle issues that will get you into a lot more trouble: example: you park your tractor in the driveway, not really sticking out in the road but at the end of the driveway. A couple of kids are out joyriding speeding around a corner (or not), and run headlong into your tractor. The driver dies,(or not)but the other kid gets paralyzed for life. Driver has very limited(or no) insurance. Next thing you know you're named in a civil lawsuit as you were negligent because you failed to ......(fill in the blanks)the cost to defend yourself would be devastating even if you prevail. We're not talking OJ Simpson here this is the real world.
And how about if you forget and leave the key in the tractor some night and a couple of kids get it started, drive it around a bit, it runs out of diesel (or not), they leave it in the middle of the road, and somebody runs into it and sues you. That's what liability insurance is for. You need it!
BTW, I don't sell insurance, I fix teeth for a living.
simonmeridew ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357

2006-01-30          123821

I talked to my insurance agent about that, I have the liabilty insurance that covers my house and property. I am covered just as if someone slips and falls on my porch and sues me. As long as the tractor is on my property, I am covered for the same liability as I had before. If I run someone over with my lawn mower or my tractor, I still have the same coverage. What I don`t have is collision coverage or damage to my tractor. There is insurance you can purchase for that which I do not want.

Ray ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-31          123844

Simon,
A local tractor dealership in a very small community can agree with what you point out. A couple of young boys straight wired a piece of equipment, one got hurt and they ended up paying.
Another ex-tractor dealership was sued and lost all when he pulled gun on two would be theives who jumped or fell off the roof they were breaking in though and got hurt.
Now, tell me people like those here don't need to serve on jury duty.

Even being very careful a tractor is dangerous. I saw a young lady with a noticably dented right front car door. It was caused by a rough cut rotory cutter thowing a piece of probably wood over 50 feet into her car as she drove by at highway speed.

Zorro, all I have to say is you must have a very good homeowners policy. May I ask the company? If they sell in SC I do want to talk with them. ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357

2006-01-31          123879

The insurance company is called Citizens insurance. It looks like they are affiliated with two companies called Allmerica Financial and Hanover Insurance. I have no idea if they sell in SC. Good luck

Ray ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos

2006-02-01          123901

zorro357
You should be able to insure the tractor via your homeowners policy AS an 'individual' tractor. For the few hundred bucks it costs, it is worth it to me. I insure (at cost)for extra coverage over and above my contents coverage of my outbuildings. This includes tools,equipment,etc. It just makes me feel better that the big item stuff is covered if something happens (fire,tornado,etc.). I dont know about your coverage via bringing the tractor home. I have a tri-axel trailer and go and get all my own stuff and my trailer and truck coverage would cover that. Dont depend on "contents' insurance via a homeowners policy. My best buddy has an insurance agency and he said to cover each 'big' item individually, it doesnt cost that much. It goes per thousand.
doc ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
zorro357

2006-02-01          123906

I gave my insurance agent serial numbers, cost of tractor and each implament. And is going to send me in writing that everything is covered. As long as I am using the tractor for my own use and not for work or agricultural purposes. It is covered for natural disasters, fire and theft. But not for damage I do to the tractor. My tandem axle trailer is covered under my auto insurance, but their is a rider on that and it will cost a me a few bucks, its minimal. ....

Tractor Insurance

View my Photos
simonmeridew

2006-02-01          123928

Zorro
I agree with you 100% about collision insurance. It's the liability issue that worries me and it sounds like you have it surrounded
simonmeridew ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login