Go Bottom Go Bottom

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
jptort
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-05          122316

What are the basic differences between the B, L, and M series? I am looking for my first tractor, just got 10.5 acres, thinking about 30 to 35 HP range for 60 to 72 inch rotary cutter (brush hog), 60 to 72 inch tiller, back hoe, post hole digger, maybe more. I visited a dealer about 40 minutes away. He recommended L3130DT. There are three transmissions, too. The kubota website is not the most helpful in explaining the differences. Is there a place with a good description of the different Kubota products?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-06          122322

For the work you described you should be looking at the big end of the B-series or the small end of the L-series. A 3130 is right on target IMO.

The DT trans is a regular gear-drive model operated by a clutch just like the old days with the following exception: The forward and reverse shuttle is synchronized so the tractor won't grind gears if it isn't brought to a complete stop. Helpful for loader operation.

IMO, the HST is THE WAY to go. No clutch, no gears, just squeeze down on the treadle and away you go, forward or backwards.

The GST is essentially a gear model with an "automated" hydraulic clutch. You simply slam the shifter into gear without having to depress the clutch. There's more to it than that, but you get the idea.

My suggestion: try them all, make an afternoon of it! ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-06          122325

jp, I have the L3130DT and it has worked out well. It should work fine for the uses you have planned. I'll add one more thing to jarndt's description of it in that the 4-speed transmission is also synchromesh so you can change gears on the fly. If you have to change from high to low range or vice versa you'll have to stop completely to shift.

Many think the HST is better for loader work in that you have a range of gear ratios available quickly. But you didn't mention a loader. For the backhoe, the transmission is a non-issue. I don't have one but I'm guessing the tiller will take alot of HP to run compared to a brush hog of the same width. While the 3130 should run a 72 in mower, I would make sure there's enough power for a 72 inch tiller. Your dealer should be able to recommend the correct size. Have fun with your shopping.
Dave ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos

2006-01-06          122330

jptort
I have both. I have a B2400-1998- HST - 4+4 and a L3430-2004- HST 4+4 and I am not sure how large the B series goes now. I got the L3430 because I wanted a tractor with a cab for the winter, as I use a front snowblower. This tractor would do everything you want, but you probably would not want a cab if you want to run a backhoe. I dont know much about backhoes though. The great thing about the HST transmission is you can run the tractor at top rpm and just creep along or speed up without having to do any shifting.Same thing if using a FEL . I believe you lose a little hp, but that is not a problem for me. I dont know if the L3130 would run a 72 inch tiller, that would be my concern. I run a 60 inch with my L3430 and it plays with it, so the L3130 would probably run it, but ask the dealer on that. I know nothing about the M series. Always get a little large hp tractor than needed if possible, better to have more hp than not enough(if money permits-that is). I would never get a tractor with out HST and I grew up on a farm in the 60's with gear shift tractors. I see absolutely no advantage, unless you have a problem running a foot peddle(and I realize some people do!).
doc ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
jptort

2006-01-06          122347

Thanks for all your comments. I appreciate the time. ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
Art White

2006-01-06          122351

Forget the M-series all together. The larger frame B-series would do fine but the little bit larger and heavier chassis of the L-series might make some things go easier such as tlb work. The L-series will dig deeper on both ends and raise higher so if drainage work and truck loading is required all the time. If this work is to be done only once you might spend a little more time doing the work and spend a little less money. You might look at the L-3400 if you are looking for a best buy if you will be using the rear mount mower. If there is details to mow around the smaller B-series would win as well as with general fuel economy. Both sizes will run the tiller sizes you mentioned in most all types soil. If you have hills the L-series might give you some added stability. ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
fawcekj

2006-01-07          122371

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are going to have some fun (ah I mean a lot of work ahead of you)
Kubota does have a good Spec sheet layout with comparison charts of competitive tractors that was very helpful to me two years ago when I bought my L3130-HST R4 tires 4x4. I would reccomend reading them closely for things like tractor gross weight, 3PT lift capicity ect. I highly reccomend HST. I love it even if it does eat a little HP. the on the fly forward reverse and easy speed feathering is great. A good Tractor place will let you play with them some to get a feel for the different sizes and transmissions.

I also have about ten acres in north GA so just a little south of Tenn. I 've put on about 250 hrs of seat time since July 2004, and the GL3130 has performed very well. If I had the ability to do it over again, and could put the extra money into it I would like to have gotton a few more HP maybe the L3830. I have a Jinma 6" wood chipper that can really eat a whole GA pine, but it has also stalled the 24HP PTO with anything larger than about 4.5 inches in diameter.

I think with a backhoe you would not want to go with anything smaller, I have a small 6.5' one (about 1000 LB unit)and if I'm not carefull it can jerk and lift my L3130 around. I don't think I would want a lighter frame tractor taking that stress. Grand L series has about 1k LB extra weight in the Frame than the B's with about the same in extra 3pt Lift capicity. If I had the money and the knowledge I've gotton from this forum, I would have also gotten a set of rear remotes installed. Top in tilt would be nice. R4 tires have been a good comparmise on traction and truf wear for the grass. R1's I think would have eaten up the front yard. Front loader has been very useful around the place, still need to get a set of teeth for the bucket.

Well I've rambled long enough. L3130 HST is a great choice, for the money, but as Tim Allen says more power is always better, if you can afford it. It adds up quick, and I seem to find some new toy I want to get for her all the time.

Good luck and welcome aboard,
Keith ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-07          122376

I have never used a pto driven tiller so have no idea there.

I have a B 2710 with HST. For a lot of things really like the HST. Much of your work I think it would be your best all around choice. The one thing I do not like a HST for is where you need to keep constant ground speed and PTO speed. Unless the ground speed you want happens to be with the pedal all the way depressed it will vary with you. This tractor would not handle a 60 inch Bush Hog (rough cut) I do use a 48 or so inch with it with good results. However, I am not running fast at all with the rough cut, cutter. It does a great job with a 72 inch (Bush Hog brand) rear finishing mower on all types of lawn grass.

I have a M 6800 and think it is much larger than you are wanting. In my opinion, if you are going to us a 60 inch rough cut rotary mower, you will need around 40 hp. There is a big jump in the size of a 5 foot to a 6 foot rough cut rotary cutter.

Something that has not been mentioned here unless I missed is the heavier tractor will pull better and it will also ride better. It also will come quicker to leaving ruts in your yard.

I wish you well.
kt ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-07          122383

A constant ground speed should be easy with an HST if you have cruise control. On level ground anyway. ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-07          122387

Cruise control?

If you mean the hand latch type deal that at least Kubota has on mine it is fine for some jobs. Where I find it a problem is not what most CUT's are used for I admit.

I used mine with a sprayer and spreader in field. You need ground speed with both to be constant and yet when you reach the end of the field you must turn arond. Sort of hard to make that turn without reducing the ground speed which on my tractor disengages the lock and then you are back trying to match speed. Just don't work on mine.

Now cruise control like an auto would work fine. Just have never found that RESUME button. BUT, if there is a method here I don't know of it sure would be appreicated.

Hitting a single break to turn at field speed is not a good idea. But that will keep the solution mixxed.

kt ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-07          122389

JD has an auto style cruise control option on many compacts with the eHydro tranny. It's actually a cheap option but I have no need for constant speed operation so didn't buy it. ....

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
fawcekj

2006-01-08          122400

in answer to a few of the most recent question on a L series with my L3130 hst when cutting the grass when the ground is soft during the spring I remove the loader to help reduce the weight some and also make sure I'm not in 4x4 during turns. The R4 tires are a comparmize between the rut causing R1's and the lower traction turf tires. I also try to avoid running on the grass if the ground is wet and real soft.

I don't have a lot of call for critcal control of ground speed so I'm going on "old man" memory on this one. As far as maintaining ground speed the Grand L series has a cruise control lever on the left side by the gear shift. along with the digital intelipanel you can select the ground MPH display and return the cruise lever to the same posision by wacthing the digital display. or you can just feather the HST tredle while watching the display. What I do is set the RPM's for the PTO speed desired, then set the cruise Lever to the desired MPH, and back off on the cruise lever during turns then return it on straight aways. if I'm not mistaken though you have to watch it on grade changes, downhill it will overrun and uphill it will lag some. the govenor will try to keep RPM's the same but I think I have to make some adjustments every now and then.

B vs L vs M series

View my Photos
Johnny1

2006-01-13          122730

I have a 2003 B7500 with 580 hours on it that I use to clear off lots that I build beach homes on. It does everything I need it to do. The current model of the B7500 would be the B7510, which would handle 10 acres with no problem. However, if you are convinced you would need a 60 inch rotary cutter, I would strongly recommend the L3400. For the price, there is probably not a better deal. Have fun! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login