Go Bottom Go Bottom

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-29          120055

Can someone please advise me whether it's reasonable to try to maintain a lawn with a 60" brush hog mounted in a B7800? I am replacing my JD120 with a B7800 to maintain my 5 acre property and I'm kind of short on cash to buy the Kubota 60" MMM for the quoted price of $2250. (That's what my entire JD120 cost when new). I don't want to buy a designated mower just for the lawn, so I'm thinking of trying to mow my ~ 1.5 acre lawn with the brush hog. Has anyone tried doing that? Is it too much of a hastle or can it work? Thanks for your help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-29          120056

It can be done, but then anything can be done, how well is another story.

It comes down to what you HAVE & what you WANT.

Do you HAVE a fairly flat, open lawn, or is it lumpy, bumpy and covered with trees and other obstacles, and surrounded by fences.

Bush hogs are not the best in anything but open spaces.

Then, what do you WANT to end up with? You won't get a 'golf course' look with a bush hog, and don't plan on cutting the grass down to less than about 3" under anything but ideal conditions.

If you can live with those restricitions you should be Ok.

Best of luck. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-29          120057

If you are field mowing and trying to keep the brush down then the Bush Hog is the way to go and what it was designed for. You will scalp areas occasionally and dig the skids in.

Why not buy a 3pt finish mower? You can cut some high grass and small brush and the cost is 1/2 that of the belly mower. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-29          120061

The lawn is flat, but it is surrounded by fencing and has a few trees and shrubs on it. I don't care much for golf-course looks, but I also don't want to scalp or dig into the lawn. I also suspect that the rear wheel on the brush hug will give me lots of truble if I try mowing by backing into tight spots. Seems like the brush hog is not the thing for the lawn.

Can you enlighten me as to (1) why does the 3-pt finish mower cost half of the MMM? (2) and how good is it in the rough? I need a brush hug capacity because I have a good patch of land that has a lot of water in the spring and, by the time I can get the tractor into that spot in May, the grass is 5 foot high, so it's not a good spot to mow with a mid-mount. Would a 3-point finish mower be able to handle tall grass?

Thank you both for the comments - it helps a lot to know what I'm getting into before I spend the money on the wrong attachment (I wish I could get them all, but...) ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
metastable

2005-11-29          120063

I have a Woods RD6000 RFM with rear discharge. I use it for my 1 acre rural "lawn", but also use it to cut my 4 acre pasture twice a year to reduce fire danger. The RFM is great for the lawn, but leaves a lot of stubble in the pasture when the grass is over a foot high. A second pass gets almost everything though. If you are primarily mowing pasture, get a brush hog. Primarily lawn, then an RFM. Sometimes I wish I had both. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-29          120065

I always advise people to buy the best product for doing whatever is going to be the bulk of the work intended for it.

If you are going to do 75% finished grass, and 25% rough stuff, get a finish mower. There will always be a compromise, the smaller the compromise is the better.

In fact some people find it is better to not compromise at all. I have a neighbour who had much the same situtation as you, mostly lawn mowing, but a couple times a year had a small pasture to cut. They ended up spending half of what a tractor would have cost, got a dedicated grass cutter, and then just pay another neighbour a few bucks to go over the pasture a couple times a year.

Food for thought.

Best of luck. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-29          120066

1)With the rear discharge you can knock down small areas of high grass as stated. I have had both and the rear discharge does not pug up like the side discharge. As stated you need to go over the grass a couple of times to get it into smaller pieces but it can be done.
2)Three point systems are cheaper for a couple of reasons I think. a) They are a little cheaper to build. They connection to the PTO is a little simpler and can use standard PTO parts and the carrage is a little simpler.
b) They are not tractor specific and therefore there is more competition. A typical MMM will be supplied by the dealer for the tractor only. You will not easily be able to find another supplier. The attachment may be made by another manufacturer, Rhino, BushHog, Bulher etc, and be essentually the same mower as the 3 PT but as there are few applications, a custom build for the manufacturer, the cost doubles. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
KosseTX

2005-11-29          120082

Last week I fixed a finish mower I hadn't used in 10 years. I've been using a "bush hog" in it's place. When I mowed with the finish mower, I was amazed at the job it did. It yard and pasture looked so much better than it did when I mowed it with the rotory mower. I don't think I could mow the whole pastre with it, but what I did looked great. I'll never be without a finish mower again. I think you should buy that first and get a rotory mower later. My .02. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120103

This makes a lot of sense. I'll most likely go with Woods RD6000 RFM with rear discharge as suggested. It should also be less expensive than the Kubota equivalent. I also agree that it's a good idea to buy the RFM first and see how good a job it does in the rough, and if it's not upto par, then go for the brush hog next year. But if two passes with RFM do the job, than that's all I'll ever need for mowing. As far as paying someone to mow the pasture, I had considered it, but in NJ it would cost me between $500 and a grand each time I wanted to do it and that just doesn't agree with my wallet. I also thought of getting a designated lawn mower, but a decent one will run just under two grand and I'd still need to spend money on a bigger tractor to take care of the rest of the property. That's what I love about B7800; it's light enough to mow the lawn and strong enough for heavy duty farm work.

Thanks again for all your input, I really appreciate the advice; I hadn't a clue of the virtues of the RFM prior to this discussion. I wish there was a good resourse as to which tractor attachments are good for which applications to educate people who haven't exactly grown up on a farm. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120107

horse farmer,
I think you have found the spot to ask on attachmets as you have on bush hog. They have given me good advice before.
I realize the name game but as the owner of a "Bush Hog" RFM and Zero Turn, all bush hogs are not the same. I think it is safe to say all in this thread are using that term for a rough cut rotary mower. The description tells you what the cutter is made for.
A thought not expressed here is to look for used RFM and rough cut rotary mower (bush hog). You need to be careful as to bearings and gearbox being good but they can be found. They are also easy loads to haul.
A big word of be careful when there, but ebay might be a good source for such used. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120110

kthompson,
I think looking at used RFM, especially from a reputable dealer, would be the first thing for me to do. People trade in their attachments all the time and I see no reason why I couldn't get an RFM in good shape at a good discount because it's a used one. I looked up "Bush Hog" RFM that you mentioned and noticed that it's constructed of a 7 gauge steel, but weighs ~ 40lb more than a similar Woods model built from 8 gauge steel. I wonder why. I guess it probably has more trinkets attached to it. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120112

Unless I am having a total mental lapse, when you hear guage in metal, wire or shotguns the lower the number the bigger it is. When you hear a number such as .250 the larger it is the thicker it is. Now, if memory is correct a 410 shotgun is a caliber and not a guage. But back to metal, you should find a site on the web that translates metal guages to inch thickness. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120113

My fault; I just don't know what I'm talking about and it shows. Thanks for the clarification. I would guess then, that the "Bush Hog" RFM is pricier than the Woods model. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120115

Not knowing? To me this is why such as this site is busy. There is a lot we none know.
As to pricing, I have no idea how the Bushhog brands compares to the Woods. A lot will depended on the local dealers. If you are buying new be sure you compare the tip speed of the RFM. Be sure to do so for each model you are considering. It will vary with different models of same brand.
I would want greasable spindles and be sure to use high temp grease there and then grease often. My Bushhog dealer has told me that is his biggest problem with commercial users, they do not want to fully grease them. Too seldom and too little is what most do.
If you consider a used mower be sure you look for major bends and rust. If possible try it first.
A couple of other points, on my small Kubota with the RFM there is a lot of noise as I am sitting so close to it. I always wear hearing protection. The other point is you will need to run the 540 PTO speed on either of the RFM or rotary mower to have it cut properly. The ground speed is controlled by grear, not engine speed here. Engine speed is for the cutter's need. Many people wonder why they can push it over and not cut it. Ratio of ground speed to blade speed is often wrong there. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-30          120116

Thompson is right the Bush Hog is thicker metal. Typical roofing is 26 or 23 gauge.
I would not get too stuck on the name game with mowers or you will be spending more than necessary. I had a Land Pride which is a good side discharge. The week point was the wheel mounts which was address in the newer versions. I bought a Bulher rear discharge which I am happy with and the cut is good.
Points to look at:
1) Mowing Deck - how is the deck made. I like the heavier gauge. I like the deck to be pressed out to reduce the areas for grass clipping retentions, reduce welds which tend to rust and provide greater strength. I like the lip at the bottom to increase the edge strength but not the sharp edge. I have cut my ankles trying to grease the thing. The Bulher has 1/2 rod on welded around the edge.
2) Gear box - what HP is it rated for? Is it quality.
3) Mower spindles - how heavy and what quality are the bearings.
4)wheel mounts - how sturdy is the structure. How easy can it be damaged. How easy is it to grease the spindles? How easy is it to adjust the height?
5) Wheels - I have had both the solid and the pneumatic. The pneumatic tend to track better in my experience. The solid will last longer but the cost to replace is 2-10x the pneumatic as the whole thing must be replaced. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120120

horse farmer,
A point on either rear mower, be sure the PTO shaft will not push against your tractor, possbily damaging your tractor. This is somehting that can happen if you disconnet your third arm or have a cutter with the the chain type mounts that allow the cutter to tilt up greatly. You will sooner of later find a sharp slope you back up on and there can be damage.
As to brand names, I was not stuck on brand name when I bought my Bush hog brand cutters (either). Found both at very competitive prices. My RFM mower Bushhog brand is 6 summers old. It has cut not a lot of grass but about 3 1/2 acres normally every week for our long growing season here. Todate, I have greased it, changed blades, both often and no other issue. Not even a belt. It did blow the seal out of the bottom of the greabox but that was my fault as I over filled the grearobx and had a clogged vent cap. But I know it is a finishing mower. You also want a mower with four wheels on it and that will be at least even with your reat wheels on one side to cut flush with.
Mine is right hand discharge, I think rear discharge would have advantages.
Again as to brands, I don't know I have ever heard anyone say they did not like their RFM regardless of the brand. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120121

I'm jotting down all these suggestions. One thing is - how can you really tell how good the mower spindles are? How do you judge the spindle bearings (unless you have the specs for this model, in which case what are the numbers I'd be looking for?) ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120123

If it is a used mower, my only suggstions is to grab the end of each blade and try moving it up and down. You may find it worth while to take belt off and see how smoothly each turns including the grearbox.
Also just look at them. You will notice a lot about some by doing so. Some will hit you as cheaply built (not necessary in price). Also ask a dealership that sells that brand. I talked with two different dealership that sold different brands of tractors and both of them recommended the same brand mower for the same reasons. The Kubota dealer did equally recommend the Kubota RFM.
I do not know if you will find spindles that are sealed (can not grease) on a RFM but I would not want that. Again, you want spindels that are greaseable without having to remove any covers and are greased from the top. Look at how the mount works on the RFM, you want one that allows the mower to ride on its own wheels with your 3 pth only pulling it so it will float with the ground.
There was a suggestion not to buy one with sharp edges (lower deck edge) and you will want to be sure of that.
Getting past the buying, to changing blades, if you change your's as I do on tractor lifted, be sure you place safety stands of some short under that deck. Any of those mowers weigh more than you want laying on you. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120124

Thanks! My best bet would probably be to look at the RFM separately from the tractor; this way I'll secure the best deal. Now, if Kubota made rear discharge rear mount mowers, then I'd just go with that, but their models are all side discharge, so I'll have to visit a bunch of dealers and look at their stocks.

Had I not had the list of things to look out for, I'd never consider buying a used attachment, but now I feel I have more or less of a grip on what makes a good RFM so thanks a bunch! ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-30          120126

What I look at is the size and quality of the bearings. If the dealer has it lifted then you can check the play in the blades. I remove the covers and look at the tops of the spindles and the bearing on the idlers etc. for the belt. I found some units where about 1/2 the diameter than the 60 inch I bought. I also checked 4 dealers and about a dozen brands. At the time the exchange on the Canadian dollar was good so I got my 60" Buhler for about $1000, better than the cheap brands like King Cutter. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120129

Horse Man,
One thing to realize is all brands are not everywhere. The Buhler brand is not in my part of the world that I am aware of. So it would not be a good choice for parts HERE. There may be a brand in your area that is excellant that no one has mentioned. As to taking the covers off and looking as Peter did right good thought. If the dealership has spindles in stock (if they don't for the brand they are selling I probably would pass on it/them.) you can look at the spindle in your hand. This way you can judge the weight of one brand to another. Weight does not make it better but the lack of metal will not make it better. Be sure to see how hard they are to change and the price.
I really believe if you visit one, two or more if necessary dealerships and ask their opinion on the different brands they sell you will find the decision easy. Do look at the spec in the companies brochures or on the internet. No sales person remembers such with 100% accuracy and they do change.
If the dealer has the mower raised to where you can see under the deck, check and be sure the ends of each blades are level with the next blade. If not, the best is there is a bent blade or it could be a bent deck or a poor design where you can not get your blades level. Just remember it is a lawn mower deck, check the same type stuff you would for a lawnmower deck. Be sure you ask on the height the deck cuts at and your choices. They are mower decks but they do not have the same heght options. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120132

kthompson,

Come to think of it, another benefit of going through this exercise in picking out a mower is, you really get to know what the dealer is all about - if he lets you play with the mower, can show you the spare parts and stuff, then this guy is going to take his time helping you when a problem may come up with the tractor. So it's definitely the thing to do.

P.S. I like the Horse Man maniker; I should have picked that for the user name; except, I actually "got married into" horses. My job is limited to keeping their environs safe and comfortable.. I got on one of them horses once and it was only for the grace of the Almighty that I'm still around... ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-30          120133

Horse farmer,
Sorry for the name mix up. Sounds like you got roped, twice. That anin't all bad.

I fully agree with you on your thoughts on the dealership. I have made good friends with those I deal with. Really trust their advice.

Understand you have horses, what great finishing mower you have. I have a neighbor that has her total yard fenced. Guess where her horses graze. They also come with an auto fertlizer system. No money spent on mower, gas or repairs. Also cuts down on pasture needs. Now you will tell me you are like my nephew who raises horses, I do not graze them. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-11-30          120136

Well, I have an odd situation. We used to keep our horses on our little farm, but then we had a little one (of a human kind) and, both of us working far from home, we had to board the horses out - it just became too much to handle. In a while we'll bring the horses back, but for now I gotta keep the pastures and the paddock from being overtaken by weeds and trees.

Now, when we had the horses on the property, I still had to mow the pastures because them horses are way too picky about what they eat. They'll eat the grass and leave huge 6 foot tall weeds all over, so by the end of the season, if I hadn't mowed, that pasture would look like a disaster. Then, you don't want to overgrase a pasture, and you gotta seed it every now and then and things like that. So, as I found out, there's a lot more to pasture management than letting the horses loose on it. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-30          120139

If you're not too far north into the hills in Joizey you could always put a beef cow or two out there.

At least that way you'd get a return on your investment.

Best of luck. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-11-30          120144

I have thought about a cow or two in the pasture with the horses to keep the weeds down, but they are more likely to try the fence. Also the horses may not be too keen on the company. The neighbors sheltland pony got loose one day and my wife thought she would be nice and put it in the pasture until they got home. My Walkers decided to head for the hills, one jumped the fence and the others took the fence down and broke out the back.
A friend of mine had a similar experience with some donkeys although they jumped in with the horses and his jumped out. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-30          120146

A neighbor keeps some cows. One of them was named Oreo because it's front and back was black with a white center. Oreo liked to breach the fence and come over to our place. For some reason she was fascinated by our front door. I often opened the front door and was confronted by Oreo starting back at me. One day as we drove down the road the mobile butcher was at their house, and poor Oreo was hanging by a hook. They thanked us for our patience with a few packages of beef. A nice way to meet the neighbors. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-01          120161

I hate to admit it, but, unlike just about everyone on this board, if I had put a cow in my pasture, it would stay there for life. I think the biggest thing that I could ever have slaughtered would be a chicken. So instead of two useless animals occupying the back yard (those would be the horses) I'd have three.

As far as breaching fences, my warmblood used to do enough of that. She takes them two-by-sixes of the posts like toothpicks. After we got this mare, we were advised that a big shire can take down pretty much any fence that doesn't have a wire. Well, I guess we should have thought of that before we got her. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120162

Fences and animals are amazing. We use to have about 16 to 20 acre pasture that was fence with common animal wire. (hogs, cows, mules and horses) Never a problem until we got some goats. They got to where they were always getting out and we gave them away to the person who own the field they would go to. So what happened. Those goats left his pasture jumped back into our pasture. So it may be you need to put your jumping animal out the pasture and make it think it is its idea to be in there.
I have notice many farmers here with a single or at most two strand electic fence with cows, or goats or horses in them and possbily mixed with no problem. A lot of that has to do with the bred of the animal.
I think it was this thread someone told about a cow called Oreo. There is a bread of cow that is black on both ends and white in the middle. THere is a herd of them in our county with a big sign and their bred name. I may be off on memory or it may not be correct it was Belted Galloway. Belted I am sure was the first name and thought that was correct. That is all I know on that bred.
horse man, a lot of people think goats are great at eating anything and they are good, but cows will beat them. If you want to mow your pasture, get you a cow (Jersey bred would be good for the milk) and put on a chain and move her about in the pasture. A cow is usually easy to work with a tie out chain. Then you could have her milk for your baby, butter for your bread, and real homemade ice cream. This way she would earn her keep better than in the freezer. Until you have milk from the Jersey or such bred without it being diluted and skimmed you have never had milk (fat anyway). My dad would milk our cows and put the milk in half gallon jars in ref. and the cream would be so think you could turn the jar upside down and it would hold. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-01          120163

Don't get me started on milk they sell at the store; some numbskull decided that all milk sold in the US must be pasteurized and homogenized and now we end up drinking something that resembling diluted latex paint. If they made it a choice for the folks to drink pasteurized and homogenized milk, that would be fine, but now you can't even find a farm (and we live close to the dairy country in PA) that would be willing to sell you the milk before they pasteurize it, because they'll get in trouble if they do that. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Murf

2005-12-01          120166

Ah, silly little sport horses, I see, LOL.

We have Belgians, you could put them in field with no fences at all, as long as they didn't run out of feed or water they would stay put indefinitely.

Like horses though, certain breeds of cattle are tougher on fences than others. Besides, a single strand of electric fence about your chest hieght seems to keep the fences standing better.

Best of luck. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-01          120177

Murf,
My warmblood may be small compared to your Belgians, but at 17.2 she's big enough to snap a 4x4 cedar post just by scratching her ass on the chicken wire. I'm glad she's busting fences at someone else's farm right now. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-01          120183

I have seen the goats and sheep in small single wire electric fence enclosures that you move around the field here.
I have heard that the trick is to build a very small enclosure with multiple wires that does not have room to stick their heads out. Once they get a taste for the wire so to speak they stay away.
I have also heard that you should not use electric fence for horses. At the same time I have friend that breed horses that use a single strand to keep them off the coral. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120184

Femuse
>>>>chicken wire<<<<<
And you have had problems with animals breaking down fences. You are kidding right?
Someone had made the comment an electric wire about chest high on the inside of the fence helped. You may wish to add one at that height and one at that horse's butt height also.
IS this the same one you were thankful for surviving? ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-01          120186

"the trick is to build a very small enclosure with multiple wires that does not have room to stick their heads out"

-----

that sounds like it'd work quick; another trick is to put a bail of hay just outside the fence with the wire; the horse will really want to get to that hay and get a "lesson" and next time, when he sees green grass outside of his paddock, he won't even try to reach it knowing he'll get zapped. Just about everyone I know uses electric wire for the horses, otherwise be prepared to do repair work on the fence, but it depends on the horse too, some just stand around minding their own business. As a rule, if the field has plenty of grass, your fences will be safe.

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-01          120187

This is pretty much of topic anymore, but to answer your question, the horse that busts my fencing is actually the most docile mare I've known (which is pretty much the case with shires, clydesdales, belgians and their elk). It was on a thoroughbred that I went into a canter not knowing how to walk or trot and managed to survive the experience only because the horse was kind enough to stop before I'd fall off like a sack of potatoes. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120193

Femuse,
okay, she just has a realy big butt, right?

I seen that type before. Watchting them sit down in public can be funny and scary. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos

2005-12-08          120692

Dec. 8, 2005
Horsefarmer
It can be done - I have been doing it on over 2 acres for
the last 10 years. If you have flat land as others have
said it helps. Make sure your brush hog is set up level and run it at at 540rpm. I sharpen my blades, but others
disagree. I get a nice cut doing it this way and I cut within 2 feet of my house and building. Most of my "lawn"
is in red clover and weeds, so I am not looking for a
showplace type cut, just functional. Could not see getting
a lawn mower to do it, when I had equip that could do it.
I do have stone 2 feet out from all buildings and spray
with roundup a couple times a year to keep it in line.
doc ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
DenisS

2005-12-12          120900

Thanks 091955,
Much like your lawn, mine is made up of more weeds than I can name and that's how I like it - it stays green even in a drought. So a fine cut is not what I'm after. But from what I've heard from other falks here, I'd be better off with a RFM since my lawn is not very even and I'd hate to scalp it all the time. Thanks again. Take care ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-12          120912

My BH 287 has dual rear wheels and if I am careful and mow often I can get a nice cut in the field, although it is rough in spots. ....

mowing with a brush hog

View my Photos
MisterMike

2005-12-21          121464

I use my Bush Hog 60 for both pasture and lawn mowing now with quite acceptable results. My tractor dealer sells "grass blades" for the Bush Hog. They might even be manufactured by Bush Hog. The blades are made with a little twist, much like a finish blade, which sucks up the grass to be cut much better than the standard Bush Hog blade that came with the mower. The price is pretty good as well. $30.00 for both blades. These "grass blades" are still heavy duty. I don't change them when I have to cut small brush. No problems. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login