Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rolled my B2630 on its side Now what

View my Photos
Curt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-11-20          119581

It was on its side for less than 15 minutes, supported by the roll bar, rear left tire, and the 60 inch bucket. No visible damage or problems. After a short while, it started on the third try and blue a good bit extra blue smoke, which I suspect was extra fuel spill into the muffler. After a few minutes all was normal. It started fine afterwards and seems normal, and all fluid level seem fine. Before I begin using it again, I wondered what precautions to take, or what subtle things I should look for.

I have just 35 hours on it, so I thought about taking it in early for the 50 hr service rather than doing it myself as planned; perhaps the pros will notice a problem I'd miss.

Curt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-20          119582

Curt, the important issue is that you or anyone else was not hurt in the role over. 15 minutes on its side is not long and you were very fortunate that no serious damage was done. For future consideration for you or anyone else who experiences a roll over; it is EXTREMELY important to understand that if the tractor has been on its side for more that a short duration that oil from the crankcase can get past the piston rings and pool up in the combustion chamber. If a start attempt is made and enough oil (and it does not take much) has accumulated in the combustion chamber; it is possible to bend a connecting rod or worse cause very serious damage to the engine. The blue smoke you noted on the start up is evidence that some oil had begun to accumulate in the combustion chamber. If a tractor has been on its side for many hours or days, it is highly recommended to let the tractor set upright for a few days or at least verify that the engine will HAND crank over without hydro locking. The oil will not compress and if enough oil is present in the combustion chamber upon a start attempt, something WILL give. Glad to hear everything turned out well and all you may have lost or damaged was potentially a good pair of under shorts. ;O) Now at least you have fully calibrated your seat of the pants tilt meter and tested the "emergency nutrient residue excretion roll over reflex" ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-20          119597

It would not hurt to take the tractor in so the can look at the rops to make sure that it is not bent in any way. If it is bent that bend will become you weak link and if it should happen to roll again the structure may fail. Better safe then sorry. ....

View my Photos
charlieK

2005-11-20          119609

don't worry so much 'bout the tractor--let that be a lesson to ya and try not to let it happen again. tractors are dangerous. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-20          119610

Been there, done that, see my pics. The only thing I can add to what's been said is check your battery to see if any acid leaked out. Wash the area thoroughly with baking soda and water if it has to stop any corrosion, and keep an eye on the area until you're positive there is none. ....

View my Photos
Curt

2005-11-21          119634

I used the seat harness and the roll bar worked perfectly. Thanks for all the advice.

Even though it was on its side for such a short time, I have major regrets about attempting to start it those first two attempts.

What symptoms should I look/listen for now? Are there any tests I can do to check for a bent rod?

Are stupid mistakes covered under warranty or Kubota insurance? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-11-21          119645

Insurance would cover any thing after the deductible ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-21          119648

Living on flat ground we don't have many rollovers but they do and people get killed. Glad you were safe. I read a warning on a tractor recently that made good sense. In case of roll over do not attempt to leave seat. Of course it had roll bar and seat belt. Each only as good as the user. I think the tractor seat belt on mine may be a used feature now. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-21          119660

Good call on the battery Ken thats the most neglected and can cause major damage from leaking acid! Most times I like them to sit for at least 30 minutes on the wheels before restarting after checking all fluid levels.. Lets hope that you now know how to navigate that slope better. Kubota does have a manual of the ten commandments of tractor safety available which I give to all first time operators. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-11-21          119664

Today I was rock raking an area of my property where there were a couple of interfering trees that caused me to tilt enough to cause me concern. I have 400 hours on the tractor now and have had a couple of close calls - always when raising the bucket with weight on uneven property. This was not that situation - I was just rock raking and kept the bucket very low.

To be safe I opted to just get the loose dirt roughly distributed and then hand raked the whole mess - rather than take any chances. I do get frustrated though, sometimes I think I am overly cautious with the tractor (and thereby cause myself lots of extra work). I guess you never really know what the limit is until you have a rollover. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-22          119686

I realize what I am going to say here is not the slope of ha hill or such but it might help. I worked for a crane manufactor for several years and had times I operated a crane for test purposes. We always checked the unit for tip and load to tip. For one thing it was on flat ground in control situation and of course a slope will change a lot quickly. But if you checking for stability with a load that runs out from your tractor, do it as close to the ground as possible. That way if it does tip it will stop as soon as that load touches the ground. If that load is a foot off the ground the tilt of the equipment is min. and no problem. Same event with load 12 or so feet in air and probably you have a roll over. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-22          119687

Curt, I'm curious. How did you get it back on it's wheels so quickly? 15 minutes? Wow. It took a tow truck with dual winches to get mine back on all fours. ....

View my Photos
Curt

2005-11-22          119713

My wife pulling the F350. As soon as I settled I ran up the hill and got the truck. I had it all set up before my wife even knew there was a problem. Three logging chains and a "Snatch Strap" wrapped over the upside (right) FEL support and then down to the left FEL support. It came right up!

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-22          119714

On mine there was no way a truck could get enough traction to pull it upright from the top of the hill. The tow truck had to park on gravel maybe 75 feet away due to mud. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login