Go Bottom Go Bottom

choosing the right tractor

View my Photos
mohegan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-17          118029

Hello. I am trying to determine the right tractor for my needs. I have 10 acres in Grant, FL. All flat, gets wet. There are 7 acres of heavy pasture that needs bush-hog work -- 2 acres of finish mowing work. Plus a small animal farm in need of a front loader, and pulling (wagons, etc.) work.

Any ideas wchich tractor I should be considering to meet these needs ?

Thank you .

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Denis

2005-10-17          118035

I'm trying to make the same decision; I have a 5 acre farm with some pasture, woods and a lawn; I'm thinking of a B7800 - it has good power, clearance, can pull 60 bails on a trailer without a problem; I just don't feel that BX-series tractors can handle heavy pasture work. Besides, a B7800 (which is a legitimate tractor) with comparable attachments is only $4 grand more than the BX2230 tractor which is just a step above a riding mower. If someone knows any better, please post your reply. ....

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-17          118036

Denis, your on the right track. you may also want to look into the JD 790.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-17          118040

I think you want the PTO hp in around 25-30 if you are doing any amount of field mowing. This places it in line with the capabilities of the old Fords, Oliver Super 55 and MF's.
The lower price/less feature tractors in this area would be the B7800 as mentioned, the Deere 790, Kioti LK3054, MF 1433 and the New Holland TC30. These are the top 5 sellers in the US.
For the finish mowing and loader work I would recommend a hydrostatic drive. Some of the above models like the TC30, 1433 and B7800. There are other tractors in the lines with more features such as the NH TC33, MF 1433V and the Kioti CK30. Naturally they are higher dollar. You also need to consider which dealer is closer and which is the best. You many get the tractor cheap and then pay through the nose for the additional equipment and parts. ....

View my Photos
mohegan

2005-10-17          118046

Thanks. I had considered the JD 2305. How does this compare?

thanks ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118047

No, you can only run a 4 ft Bush Hog with that. It will take you all week to mow the field. For example I have 8 acres to mow and a 7ft unit it takes 4-5 hrs. With a 4 footer it takes more than double about 12-15 hrs. Depending on how fast your grass grows, to keep the pasture in shape, you will be 10 hours on the tractor every 2nd or 3rd week end. I went down this route with my 755. Enough power to mow the lawn and nothing else. 25 hp PTO and up. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-17          118048

I do not know the models you are talking about but I have a B 2710 (27 hp) Kubota. I would want more power if I had to bush hog heavy wet grass over acres. I would also want smoother ride. I use a 52 inch rough mower on mine and it does well but in heavy grass it would be slow. Also use 72 inch finishing mower. All it needs in thick zoysia. A breeze in thinner grass. I also use 52 inch z turn mower (same brand as finishing mower) and cut our 2 acre yard in about 60% of the time. Both have trimming left but less with z turn by far. You also mentioned it gets wet, my B 2710 has problem with not a lot of clearance with 3 point hitch if it is bogging while using rough cut mower. Yes, it has caused me to walk. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-10-17          118059

Kthompson, how do you like the zoysia grass? Much of my grass is always dead brown on my southern facing back yard. I am thinking about zoysia but have doubts since no one else seems to have it around here. It dies earlier than other grass but stays green all summer? Plus how fast does it multiply after putting the plugs in? Do you really have to put these plugs in 1 foot apart? How long does it take to spread? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-17          118060

The B2710 is 20 hp PTO. You can only use a light duty 5 ft rotary cutter on that unit. The extra 5 hp means a lot. My 955 tractor is 27 PTO and I can handle a six foot in heavy grass.

ncrunch I tried to plant zoysia in the centipee and the centipee chocked it out. I thought the Zoysia would be more draught resistant and provide a better looking lawn. No luck.
The centipee is nice as it really requires very little mowing. It spreads so flat that the seed heads only stick up about 6 inches. Like Zoysia it goes dormant and allow the other weeds to get a head start in the spring. ....

View my Photos
Denis

2005-10-18          118081

Thanks for your help. How does JD790 compare with Kubota B7800 with respect to their reliablity? One reason I'm considering a Kubota is that I dumped around $1500 in repair cost over 3 years on a JD L120 mower - I could have bought a brand new mower for that money and avoided a lot of aggravation. I know I'm comparing apples and oranges when talking about L120 and JD790, but this experience kind of poisoned my opinion about JD. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-18          118084

ncrunch32 I was very fortunate in talking with Super Sod (super-sod.com)before going with Zoysia. They will tell you there are many false claims on the value of Zoysia. They suggested Zenith zoysia which can be seeded, plugged or sodded. I used some sod and seed. Seeding it, the way it spreads and such remind me a lot of centipede. It will grow where centipede is afraid to go. I greatly prefer it over centipede or the bermuda grass that is in spots of my yard. super sod says bermuda will not be taken over by zoysia but I really think mine is slowly. Be sure you buy a variety of zoysia that works with your mower. Some are for "reel mowers" only. Fine as frog hairs. It is brown in the winter. More so to me than centipede. I am a big fan of zenith zoysia. Have two friends with totally different yards and they like theirs very much. My yard is 2 acres and a lot of sun located a few miles from Myrtle Beach SC. So far I have always planted rye but must mow the zoysia close or where it is thick the rye will not reach groun to germinate. Golf course friend tells me it left alone it will get so think it kills itself. Hope this helps. KT

Peters, what variety of zoysia did you try? On rotary cutter I would agree a 5 food deck is a large as you want on my B2710 Kubota. It will handle the 52 inch very well in thick wet grass also but 10 acres of that and I would be bored. One point I really like on my B2710 and the 52 inch mower is the mower is the width of the mower. It is great in the woods around us. It will fit between trees full size tractor can not. Also short wheel base helps. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2005-10-18          118087

Personally I don't think the B7800 and the JD 790 can compare. The JD 790 is a tractor frame that dates back more than 20 years. It is gear drive, dry brakes, full tunnel and one frame. The only items updated are the engines and possibly the pumps.
The B7800 on the other hand is HST, modern flat deck, wet brakes and dual frame. I had the older 750 which is the same tractor with less HP and now the newer one the 955. They sold at one point with the 790, 4000 series and 955. The 955 was the most expensive. If you climb on and off the 790 a few time like you will hooking up equipment of moving items with the FEL, you will quickly see there is no comparison. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login