Go Bottom Go Bottom

Best Boom Mower for Kubota B2710 Tractor

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-12          117793

I am considering a boom mower for my Kubota B 2710. This is a CUT with 27 hp. I would appreciate any feed back and suggestion on brand of mower.

Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-12          117806

Do you have anything in mind? You have a light chassis and to go to far maybe even four foot on a four foot cutter you would need additional counter balance. ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-12          117814

I saw an ad for one for compacts in Lancaster Farming. I thought is said Micro Flail or something like that but now I am unable to find info for it. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-13          117822

Flail mower head is what I want that will handle limbs and light brush. I know the tractor is light and mower must be also. Not expecting a long reach either.

Thank you ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-13          117823

I believe I have seen their brochure before. Aren't they made in Ohio? I had forgotten them. I think they even had a string trimmer head! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-13          117835

Bomford, a company long known for it's boom-mounted mowers, which are BTW, top-drawer stuff, make the Micro-Mower. See the link below.

However, before you get all excited about them, give your piggy-bank a good shake and check it's weight.

Spendy is a VAST understatement with this type of stuff.

We looked at a mid-sized unit a few years back. It was even the small end of the mid-sized category. The mower was going to cost MORE than the 80hp tractor (with cab & A/C) it was to be mounted on.

It is easy however to build a small boom mower for VERY little money if you're a bit handy. We ended up building our own unit.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Bomford Micro - Mowers

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-13          117837

The piggy bank is what I thought the problem with Bomford units was. I was on their web site when your message hit. I have considered building my own but was stuck on the cutter itself. It would have to be hyd. driven and I could not find a hyd driven flail mower and to put a hyd motor on a pto unit looked like some what of a rpm challange. Any advice on your experience would be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-11-17          119446

It would have to be hyd. driven and I could not find a hyd driven flail mower and to put a hyd motor on a PTO unit looked like somewhat of a rpm challenge. Any advice on your experience would be appreciated.
kthompson
===============
A guy at tbn just built a boom mower with A hyd motor on it. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-11-17          119448

Ibrown, I've never built a boom mower but have allways dreamed of one too. I've looked at the one the county uses, it must be a high dollar machine with all the hydraulics to control the boom plus the hydraulic systerm to run the cutter, it's also on a pretty good sized tractor with lots of wheel weights on the oposite side of the cutter. I've backed off now to dreaming of a less complicated, lighter 3pt. mounted frame and 90 degree gear box to mount a conventional 3pt. rotary cutter that would produce a full cut just outside of the rear tractor wheel track. My thought is that I could mow aprox. 5 ft. of the ditch bank from the road and if the slope is longer mow the rest from the ditch bottom. Just another one of my dreams, some work, some don't. Any comments are welcome. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-11-17          119452

As long as you are contant on leaving the mower running on caster wheels, although they could be hyd. height-adjustable on the fly, it would be very easy to put a gas engine on top of a regular bush-hog and use a 6:1 belt & pulley reduction to drive the gearbox at about 600 rpm. Then all you need is an offset hitch to pull it from.

A self powered boom mower is also relatively easy, again just mount a vertical shaft gas engine, no reduction required, directly on top of an old riding mower deck, add caster wheels and a small boom to move it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-17          119458

In asking questions I had an importer ask me to field test a boom mower for them they are looking to import from Europe. A very nice unit and great to operate. The need for proper flails have shown up real quick and you need to be sure a flail mmower has that option.

The boom mower I am testing uses a high speed hyd motor to direct drive the flail rotor at 2800 RPMs. Simple with no belts and no gearing. As to the rpm game which I wondered on if you could not take a PTO drive flail mower, remove the gear box and replace it with a hyd motor there using the belt drive. (A waste of gearbox but I think the oil would leak out.)

You know the PTO is rated (all I have seen anyway) at 540 RPM and you should be able to mark both the input and output shaft on the gearbox and count the rotation to find the speed of hyd motor you would need.

If the importer is able to sell the mower I am testing at the price they think, it will about $7500 for a size mower that I have seen in the $10,000 to $12,000 price range at local tractor dealership and on ebay new for $9200. It does require a 45 or so horsepower tractor. I have it on a 68 HP and it is very stable. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-17          119461

I have nothing to do with either but there are two boom mowers on ebay right now. One has a very good buy it now price. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-11-18          119525

I have some links/ information about guys who have built their own boom mower/side mower or or what ever you might call them.
Anybody interested can PM me and I will forward the links to you. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-21          119646

lbrown59, thank you for the pictures. Might be what I need. A question for you small motor guys, I know a two cycle engine for chain saw and such will run in all positions due to oil/gas mixture. Would that also be true for all two cycle engines? Would it be safe to use a two cycle on a mower say at 90% (only mean safe for the engine)? If so that sure would solve an issue.

Thank you, ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-21          119647

A remote oil reservoir on a pressure lubricated engine should work. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-11-21          119649

Okay, how would you keep oil level correct in the engine? Or would that be an issue when it is on it's side? Is there pressure in the remote tank? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-21          119652

I've never done this so it might be worth what you paid for it, but it seems to me as long as the engine is full-pressure lubricated and doesn't rely on splash lubrication the engine level doesn't matter. What matters is that you have a full flow of oil from a reservoir to the oil-pickup port and a return path from the engine that works in most orientations. It might require a pump in the reservoir that is sized correctly and maybe even a scavenger pump on the return circuit. Probably be easier to rig up a hydraulic motor to drive the cutter. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login