Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Parts Support - Only 10-15 years

View my Photos
rswilly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-08-05          114414

Think twice if you are buying a Kubota for long term use. They only plan on parts support for 10-15 years. I just got off the phone with Kubota headquarters griping because I can't get parts for my 1970s Kubota. They said "try the scrap dealers, the Japanese think tractors that old should be in museums". That's less than 30 years! My neighbor laughs at me because he can get anything he wants for his 50 year old Ford, and I know of many Cubs still going after 60 years. I must admit, up to now I thought it was a pretty good tractor but darn!! And this is not a gray market tractor either. It's an original US market model.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-05          114425

Whatever... ....

View my Photos
duke8444

2005-08-05          114431

I bought a used L2850 with a loaded and really like, but.

The dealer hasn't/doesn't want to keep much stock of parts. That is fine, that is his choice. However, ordering everything you want for your tractor really is tiresome. Then after you order some parts you have to wait anywhere from 4 days to a week and a half to get the part. This does concern me enough not to replace this Kubota when I do finally sell it with another Kubota.

When I got the Kubota, I sold my JD 650 and I never waited longer that 1 day for any part for that Deere. Many parts for this tractor the dealer had right in stock. I beleive the JD 650 was a old tractor and I beleive Deere will supply parts for this tractor for ever. I do not think Kubota will supply parts for all their tractors "FOREVER" like Deere. ....

View my Photos

2005-08-05          114435

Duke8444

You might want to try www.tractorsmart.com on the internet. I purchase ALL my parts from them. This includes filters primarily,but occasionally other parts I need. If you dont already have a parts manual and a workshop manual, you can get them from this outfit. I have used them for the last two years exclusively and have never had any problems. I run into the same problem with the closest dealer to me(50 miles), they carry almost nothing, then have to order. Another thing- the prices are lower(at least lower than my local dealer). Even in just filters it adds up. I use at least 10 oil filters,4 air filters, and 12 hydraulic filters per year. This is for two Kubota tractors. The parts and workshop manuals are invaluable if you do all your own repairs and service work as I do.
doc ....

View my Photos

2005-08-05          114436

rswilly

I dont think you can compare ford,johndeere,allischallmers, or any of the other 'older' tractors availability of parts with today's Kubotas. In time, I will probably have trouble getting parts(if in fact I even need any) for my 1956 WD Allis Challmers. The early Kubotas were not as common, especially here in the US. Today, I see them everywhere, and my assumption is that Kubota will support them. Things change and that is my reason for me going away from the 'older' brand US tractors. Your 1970's Kubota is probably not a common model in the US. I was around in those days and I know when I saw one, I had to look twice. That is not true today. Maybe I am nieve, but with what Kubota offers today, it is so much superior than the tractors from the 50's and 60's, it is almost unreal. I have two Kubotas, one is 10 years old, the other is 2 years old, and I have no concern about getting parts. I just got a metal hydraulic line for my B2400 in less than a week for about $140.00. I was flabergasted that it was available that quick. That tractor is 10 years old.

doc ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-08-05          114437

Doc, I don't know who you work with for a dealer but I would suggest trying another dealer. I don't know who at Kubota would have said what was stated but we have not sen it. ....

View my Photos

2005-08-05          114438

Art

I am not sure if you are confusing what my own statements are, but I did not state anything that a dealer told me. I buy online for both the convenience(100drive roundtrip) and because they have EVERYTHING. I do not buy bizarre parts, just mainly filters,fluids, and other service parts, and this dealer is not the first I have encountered that doesnt have them on hand. If they have to order them, I am much further ahead to order them off the internet. My tractors are a B2400 MFWD hydrostatic and a L3430 MFWD hyrostatic, hardly rare models.

doc ....

View my Photos
rswilly

2005-08-05          114448

I am not worried about filters and service items....Kubota should support their product with parts like starters, drive train and steering parts. The normal expected life in the US of a tractor is around 30+ years. According to Kubota US headquarters...not a dealer....the Japanese only expect tractors to last 10-15 years and therefore only support parts for that long. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-08-08          114492

I think the Kubota rep was probably stating average length of "ownership" not necessarily the life expectancy of the tractor, much like the automakers. The average ownership of a car is only 3-4 years, so they design around that number but obviously cars typically last much longer. I know my uncle just replaced the fuel tank (not expactly a super common replacement part) on his '85 L2250 and they were able to get the part without any trouble. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-08          114528

Doc, sorry but I did goof up. I sell several brands of tractors and before I'd run into problems with any parts on a Kubota I'd listened to people for years that owned JD,IH,Ford,Allis vertually every make of tractors made! There is no saint hood here boys! Have I heard of discontinued parts in the Kubota line, yes and I haven't found any that were any different from the US lines! Now I will tell you from experience that if you really want to have fun try locating parts from a manufacturer that doesn't represent that brand any more! Yes we do still get normal parts that are for tractors over twenty years from Kubota. When the sales of the parts go away, so does the inventory, thats the way it is! Try walking into your car dealer and asking for a part for a 15 year old car! ....

View my Photos

2005-08-08          114546

Art
I agree with your point on parts. The Kubota tractors(that I have that is)
have been so superior to anything I used growing up
on a small S.E. Wisc. farm, that I will take the chance.
I still have my Dad's-WD-45 Allis Chalmers and I am sure
when it came out no one knew what a great tractor it
would prove to be.My dad bought this brand new in 1956 and besides some grease,dirt, and a few dings it works as good today as the day he bought it(his words). My dad is 80 now and he says it is
the best tractor he ever worked with until he started
using my Kubotas. He says-hands down, no comparison, these
Kubotas are the real deal.
I still listen to the 'old guys'. I find they know alot
more than I do.

doc ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-08          114547

Art's not kidding on the 15 year deal with car parts. Heck, some parts for our 94 Taurus SHO are now NLA and the dealer says they have been for more than a year. That makes it 10 year obsolesence. Thank God for junk yards. ....

View my Photos

2005-08-08          114548

rswilly

Just remember the 'expected life' is just a guess. Alot
depends on use. I dont think many people are using these
small(under 50 horsepower) tractors as hard these days
as we did in the 50's,60's,and 70's. If you need a real
'worker' perhaps you should look to an american brand.
I put about 150 to 200 hours per year on my tractors
and that isnt heavy use. I feel they will last. Will I
be using them in 30 years? - probably not - as I will
be nearly 80 years old. I am sure somewhere down the
road I will trade or sell and get something new. I do
it with 4-wheelers and snowmobiles - so I suspect I
will upgrade at sometime. I have had this B2400 for 10
years now and it is an incredible worker. I just can
not believe what it can do. I dont plow or disc with it
as I did with the WD-45 Allis, but I can push more snow
with it and the bucket does 10 times the work and 10
times quicker.

doc ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-08-09          114564

Doc, I'm not sure about the amount of use thing, perhaps you should have said something like;

"I dont think many people HERE IN NORTH AMERICA are using these small(under 50 horsepower) tractors as hard these days as we did in the 50's,60's,and 70's."

My business and leisure travels have taken me to some pretty far flung parts of the world, and I have seen first-hand these little machines really "working". In huge areas of the world a 'big' farm is what we would call a nice-sized residential lot, many working farms are only 2 or 3 acres. In other areas they do have huge areas of farm land, but only enough water (or need) to farm a few acres at a time.

In these areas a 25hp tractor is the main, and often only, tractor for the farm. They are used almsot non-stop.

They are often the ONLY motorized vehicle these people have, and with a small trailer out the back is also their family car, and delivery truck.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-09          114574

To go a little further, the first parts to go are the non-wearing parts like rear axle housings, transmission cases or the attaching parts for those pieces. Why, because they may go 10 or 15 or even 20 years with no call for them! The same as the big tractors or cars! Could they build them again? Sure and I believe they would if the demand was there or they would be built like many other older tractor parts in China, India or another third world country. Several years ago the Ford dealers couldn't get parts for the english built Fordsons. Many of the parts started coming in from other sources that could stand to build only 15 to 20 individual parts a year to supply the demand. The US has more older tractors then most any other country. You probably didn't know this but Europe has far tighter controls on emissions then we do here and they also check for lights and leaks and many of these tractors are exported to third world countries including the US as the costs to keep many up in shape after 4000 or 5000 hours is to high. This has pushed their demand so high that there are more 60 to 130 horsepower tractors sold there then anywhere else and they only keep them about 10 years maximum. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-08-09          114575

To go a little further, the first parts to go are the non-wearing parts like rear axle housings, transmission cases or the attaching parts for those pieces. Why, because they may go 10 or 15 or even 20 years with no call for them! The same as the big tractors or cars! Could they build them again? Sure and I believe they would if the demand was there or they would be built like many other older tractor parts in China, India or another third world country. Several years ago the Ford dealers couldn't get parts for the english built Fordsons. Many of the parts started coming in from other sources that could stand to build only 15 to 20 individual parts a year to supply the demand. The US has more older tractors then most any other country. You probably didn't know this but Europe has far tighter controls on emissions then we do here and they also check for lights and leaks and many of these tractors are exported to third world countries including the US as the costs to keep many up in shape after 4000 or 5000 hours is to high. This has pushed their demand so high that there are more 60 to 130 horsepower tractors sold there then anywhere else and they only keep them about 10 years maximum. ....

View my Photos
rswilly1

2005-08-09          114597

Guys,

I was relaying to you exactly what the Kubota Corp. parts manager said. The Japanese manufacturer doesn't expect the life of the tractor to be more than 10-15 years, so they don't plan to support parts any longer than that. If you are like me and think a tractor should last 30-40 years, you might want to call Kubota and tell them to support them with parts. All your BX and and newer L models will be 30 years old one day, just like my old L260. Or maybe you should just buy 2...one to use and one for parts. ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-25          115419

Also keep in mind that many of the parts on any tractor or car or truck are made by third parties for aftermarket repairs and such. If there is a demand for a part, a company will keep making them, if not, they go byebye. Since tractors have many unusual parts unlike cars and trucks, aftermarket parts are much harder to obtain, and most are factory only. It really doesnt make sense for a manufacturer to continue to stock parts on older machines if they just sit there. Its all in supply and demand. Eventually there will be an aftermarket jobber that may pick up a part or two to manufacture, but dont count on it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login