Go Bottom Go Bottom

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
gagiii
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-27          113953

I have a problem that is hard to explain. When I'm in 4wd my tractor seems to be "outa sync". It's almost like the rear drive is trying to push the front drive wheels. If you clutch the tractor it stops almost lkie the brake is on. There is no coast to a stop. This does not happen in 2wd. It's not bad or violent but I know that it's not right and I can't figure it out. Can anybody Help?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
gagiii

2005-07-27          113954

that was a typo it's a L3000DT
sorry ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-27          113957

Are your tires the correct factory sizes? If not, is the ratio between them the same as the OEM sizes? You can do big damage in 4WD with the wrong sizes. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
gagiii

2005-07-27          113958

This tractor is about 3 years old and this is the tires that came on the tractor. never had a flat or even a low tire. running industrial tires. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-27          113959

Did you buy the tractor new? Has it always had this problem, or is it something new? Not to beat the issue to death, but have you double checked the tire sizes against those in the owners manual? It could be the dealer did some tire swapping prior to purchase and made a mistake. Stranger things have happened. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
gagiii

2005-07-27          113961

Yes I purchased it brand new and the tires are the "book size" this problem started about 25 hours ago. the main thing that i notice is if i'm in 2wd and i clutch the tractor at low idle and no breaks it gently coasts to a stop. If I'm in 4wd and do the same thing it just stops. there is also some steering difference in that the tractor seems to "pull" back and forth just a little in 4wd.
It's really hard to explain but i spent enough time on it to know that something has changed and it ain't right! ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
oneace

2005-07-27          113965

It is almost impossible but it sound like the gear ratio is off. I had a truck once that some one put 4.11's in the rear but left the front stock 3.98's. That was not a fun ride in the snow. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-07-27          113967

With all the front assist drives that I know of, the front wheels should run just slightly faster than the rears but not by more than a few percent. If the back tires are pushing the fronts like you indicate, something definately is wrong. As was suggested above, I would have the dealership check the front axle ratio. Maybe the axle gearing was set up for a different tractor model that had larger front or smaller rear tires than what your model has.

You can do a simple check using a smooth concrete area (like a shop floor) and a piece of cardboard. Sprinkle a bit of sand on the floor (to make things a little more slippery) and lay the cardboard over it. Slowly drive straight forward onto the cardboard (with both front wheels) in 4WD and see if the cardboard slides on the floor. If it slides in the direction you are driving, things are not right. If it slides backwards just a tiny bit or remains in place, you probably have the correct ratio for your tires (doubtful based on your description of the problem). This all assumes, of course, that there is no slippage between the front tires and cardboard or between the rear tires and the floor. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
harvey

2005-07-27          113969

If it just started it sure is not gears. No way they could just change themselves to a different ratio.

It sounds more like a tire issue. I'd look at the wear on the steers, they could be fairly worn and not matching the rears. You indicate you are on top tire pressures, so that is my second recheck your tire pressures. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
Gearhead

2005-07-27          113983

Any leaks on the front hubs ? Jack it up and check the front hub bearing for play, might have a bearing or a gear goin out. I've seen the outer or the inner finial drive bearngs go out and the customer keep driving it till the seal started leaking , which was the first he noticed it. ....

l3000dl 4wd concern

View my Photos
gagiii

2005-07-28          114009

thanks everybody,
my front tires are wore more than the rear tires but not bad. I'm going to check the pressure when I get home and let you knoe the results tommorrow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login