Go Bottom Go Bottom

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-29          112919

I checked the archives but didn't see SAE straight 30 oil discussed. My dealer insisted that this was the best oil to use during the summer in my 7800. Didn't seem right to me, but the manual did list SAE 30 above 25 degrees. I put it in at the last oil change, and either it's my imagination, or I hear something that sounds like valve noise. If anybody has any comments, they would be appreciated. I am thinking about taking it out of the tractor and putting in either 5W or 10W40. I'll be changing this oil before winter either way.

Any suggestions. It sure sounds like valve noise to me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-29          112926

Take it out and go with the multi-weight. I don't even understand why single weight oils are even still made.

If you are satisfied that your engine is broke-in, I think you would see an increase in performance with a dose of Mobil 1 or similar diesel rated synthetic multi-weights. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-30          112930

Thanks, I'm draining today. Thinking of going with 10w40, synthetic blend. The machine has 133 hours on it. It's broken in. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
greg_g

2005-06-30          112934

I've been led to believe that 300 hours is considered minimum before switching to synthetics.

I use 15W40 myself. But when you select oil for diesels - single viscosity or multiple - it MUST be labeled as API type C(x) where x is generally F or higher. You may have put in a 30W that was intended for a gasoline engine, labeled as API type S(x) where x can be as low as A. That's stuff's barely usable for lawnmowers.

//greg// ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-30          112936

SAE 30 may be an acceptable substitute oil if nothing else is available but as already stated; use a good quality 15W-40 diesel rated motor oil. Shell Rotella T 15W-40 comes to mind as a long time and honored favorite. It is stocked at every Wally World store I have been to. All the 10W-40 oils I have seen are NOT diesel rated. They do not have the soot control additives and other requirements met by a diesel rated oil. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-30          112938

It was Kubota SAE 30 oil. Purchased from the dealer. It's coming out for 15w40 this afternoon. I put about six hours on the machine with this stuff, not at all happy. Kept the dealer reciept.

Thanks for the input. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-06-30          112940

I'd check your manual again, my B7610 says 10 W 30 or 10 W 40, I do not see 15 W 40 as an option, I'd go with the 10 W 30, particularly if you are thinking the single weight 30 was too thick. I am using Mobil One 10 W 30.

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-30          112941

Thanks for the heads up. You are so right, 10w30 or 10w40. The dealer sold me 15w40 last fall. Not in the manual though. After the fiasco with my clutch, I'm sticking to the manual "to the letter". ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-30          112942

5w-40w shell rotella t synthetic is all I use in any thing. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
Chief

2005-06-30          112944

I used the Shell 5W-40 Rotella T synthetic this winter in my Cummins diesel for the first time this year and am very impressed with it. Worked VERY well for cold weather starts. After 7 months of use it still looked to be in good condition when I changed it out. I use John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 for summer use.

Your manual may indeed call for 10W-30 or 40 but be SURE you read the label of the oil can. Not all if many of these oils are diesel "C" API rated. I also am a firm believer in using what the manual calls for. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-06-30          112947

On my Honda Pilot they are so anal about the viscosity that the Oil cap has in LARGE YELLOW letters " 5 W 20 Oil ONLY!"

I guess they make the rings so tight that heavier oil mucks things up? Don't know! But why mess with it by getting creative where you should not. Mobil One is rated for Diesel and has a CF rating. LOL

Dennis ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-06-30          112949

An oil co. rep. told me never be tempted to put in something heavier than recomended because bearing clearances are so much tighter than in the past. Acording to him the first thing you'll ruin is the oil pump from trying to squeeze too thick of oil into too small of bearing clearance. I'm still kind of from the old school of running heavy oil in the summer, they said "get over it Frank this is today not 1960". Frank. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-30          112950

We have a bulk tank in the shop, it is filled with Rotella 15W-40 and that finds it's way into damn near everything we run.

The 'Bota techies told us that running it instead of 10W-40 was OK because of what we do, they consider it to be 'severe service' work and the extra viscosity is made up for by the extra heat generated.

About the only vehicle that doesn't like the Rotella is the wife's Land Rover, the 'service engine soon' (British code for 'change the oil') light stays kept coming on when I put in the Rotella. When I fill it with Castrol 10W-40 it behaves itself. Wierd.

MArk, SAE 30W oil is used in all sorts of 'other' applications, we use it by the gallon, it is what the manufacturers specify as Hydro-stat. oil for our commerical front mount mowers. It is also what's called for in the stationary engines on some of our equipment as well as the gensets.

Best of luck.

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
shinefeak

2005-06-30          112957

See pic 4 for a 30 weight "application", these have "old school" tolerances and need 30 to run. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
DK35vince

2005-06-30          112968

I run Shell Rotella T 5W-40 synthetic year round in everything.
It is around $13/gallon at Wal-Mart. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-07-01          112991

I'm sure this will open up a proverbial "can of worms" but assuming you're using the proper weight oil recommended in the manual, how early is "too early" for break-in time before switching to synthetic? I know the engine needs dino oil for the rings to properly seat and bearings to run in, but has anyone atually had a negative experience switching to full synthetic after the first oil change? 300 hours sounds like a lot to me. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-07-01          112999

I have switched to synthetics at the 50 hour mark (tractors)and not seen any problems. Ditto for gas engines at 1500-2000 miles.

Some new cars now come factory filled with synthetics. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-01          113002

I'm I guess from the old school like Frank but unfortunatly I also know that the largest users of diesel engines is between cars,pickups and trucks. That is what the oils are designed for. Just think of the difference between an engine running at 1/4 throttle 1/4 load or for a big truck 1/3 throttle 1/3 load vs full throttle and load! Depending on the us is where I break from the recommended. I used to run straight 30 during the summer and multi weight in my trucks and they all ran 250,000 miles with no problems or use of oil and that was at 5000 mile changes. Now the shop put's in what's recommended and not our premium fixed weight oil and at 65,000 mile I needed a new engine with 4000 mile changes with the multi weight. Maybe it was a flaw, maybe not. Depending on the day I will loose 10 to 15lbs pressure after warming while working the truck. I gess I should just have an idiot light and then I wouldn't worry! I think I'm going back where I was! ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-07-01          113003

Art, your comment on the presure drop is interesting. I ran a John Deere 7720 model combine for 21 seasons, the book called for #30 series 3 as it was called then. I used it exclusivley for the first ten years then Deere said to use their 15-40 and I too noticed quite a drop in oil pressure at full engine temp. This allways bugged me, but when I traded the machine off most everything was pretty well worn out except the engine, it still ran just fine. Frank. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
Art White

2005-07-01          113005

Frank, you didn't talk of the hours and with that model combine in this area about 3000 hours is when the walkers come out and the major components start needing work. In this area the 466 Deere engines in those are good for about 6000 hours in the older style tach non electronic tractors and about 8000 on the new ones with a few running out more. The bulk of all oils that don't have a tractor companies logo on it are made for the truck or cars and do not hold-up as well under hard work conditions. The drop in pressure is the polymers breaking down and like all things there is a price to pay for higher quality. ....

SAE 30 Oil for 7800

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-07-01          113007

Art, yes you're right I did oversimplify things a bit about the 7720. Yes most every other moving part had been replaced at least twice if not more. The hour meter had quit at about 3800 hrs. and then it ran the last four or five falls without one, so guessing I say it had total hours in the low to mid 5's. It did still have the original walkers, but I had rebuilt them once. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login