Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx23 - FEL and BH stopped working

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-06          112008

Well I finally did it...I broke my bx23 (1 yr old). Worked fine last night. Today the FEL and BH didn't want to move. The tractor itself moves fine; no trans problems that I could see.

I could jiggle the control levers and they'd move a few
inches but it was clearly having issues.Problem appeared within a few minutes of starting tractor.

Hyd fluid level looks ok.Anything else I could check?

I disconnected the FEL hoses in an effort to isolate the problem.Now I can't get them back on?! The quickconnect were a bit of a pain to get loose this time. Once it was off the bottom one wouldn't go back on no matter what I did. Tried to wipe off both ends but it still wouldn't go back together.

Please help before I try tinkering with it and end up making things worse.

Thanks!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-07          112017

By having the difficulty reconnecting it tells me that one of the ends had become disconnected to start your problem. You need to relieve the pressure in the lines to get it reconnected and this can be a touchy job. Often it means getting oil on you as well as the tractor and the oil is under high pressure so beware! Some times to hit the tip on a solid piece of metal might help relieve the pressure but I normally wrap them with a rag to help direct the flow or spray of oil from going to far. You might have to loosen the end to remove the pressure from the lines. When removing and installing hydraulic attachments a sure fired way of success is to shut off the tractor and to open the valves or to move the lever to open all circuits while disconnecting and it often helps when reconnecting. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-07          112021

It cetainly sounds like you are pressure locked. Be sure to wear safety goggles, gloves, and long sleeves when you relieve the pressure. Hydraulic oil under pressure can cause serious infections if it directly hits the skin. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-07          112026

This has happened to me several times.

Shut the tractor down, as Art mentioned. Lower everything that can move to the ground. relieve the system pressure by moving every lever in every direction.

Get geared up as Beagle has suggested and then use a couple of wrenches to loosen the hydraulic fittings that won't couple to bleed off the pressure. It is slower.... but much, much safer that banging on the check valves and there is little chance to break something this way.

Once you have bled off enough pressure to get the connectors to work again, remember to re-tighten everything you have loosened.

View my Photos
Murf

2005-06-07          112029

If just one side of a disconnected cylinder is pressurized you can usually relieve the pressure by merely connecting the opposite line and cycling the appropriate valve while the tractor is shut off.

This way the oil released goes back into the system instead of on the ground and you.

Just be VERY careful anytime you allow hydraulics to move by gravity alone. If they settle onto, or pinch something, like a person, there will be no way to release the weight using the hydraulics without the tractor running.

The other minor issue is one of air entrainment. If you allow the loader, for instance, to lower very far without the engine running and providing enough fluid to refill the 'back side' of the circuit you will draw in air. The next time you use that circuit it will be spongey because of the air trapped.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-06-10          112196

Thanks for your ideas!

The good news is that the connectors went right back together. I let off the excess pressure like you suggested and it worked.

The bad news is that the FEL and BH still have the same problem. Is there anything else I could possibly check? I don't know much about hydraulics. Is there such a thing as air in the line or bad fluid that would cause this? Could a line be plugged somewhere?

Does anyone make a repair manual for the bx23 (like a Chilton's style book) ? ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-06-11          112209

Even though your connectors are back together, you could still have a poppit valve in a connector that is restricted. I would suggest taking the quick connects off the tractor and cleaning them thoroughly. If there is a stuck poppit, you would have a flow problem and experience the problemws you are.

Air is released from the hydraulic system by turning the steering wheel full to the right and holding for 3-5 seconds, them all the back. A couple of cycles and the air should be gone.

You may also want to check you hydraulic oil filter. On those machines, it isn't unusual to have the filter get damaged during use. If you filter is damaged, or just plugged, the symtoms would be as you have desrcribed. Change the filter if it shows any damage or if there is a posibility it could be plugged. On newer machines, it's not unusual for there to be a lot of metal filings in the filter. Also check for any piched lines anywhere. This could be another source for flow restrictions. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-06-11          112212

Check to make sure all the female connectors.... the ones mounted to plates on the tractor, are snugged into their fittings. If they work loose the flows can be restricted. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-06-11          112235

Funchy:

Here are the PDF's of the BX 22/23 service manuals. ....

Link:   Manuals

View my Photos
Art White

2005-06-11          112236

That should be covered under warrantee if the unit is under 2 years old. That could be a failure of the pump but one other thing I could suggest quickly is the location of the three point hitch lever. ....

View my Photos
jpr62902
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-17          112516

Make sure you also check the BH couplings too. I've had this problem a few times, and it was always a coupling not fully "coupled." Good luck. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-06-20          112561

Fiddled with all the quick disconnects. Pushed every lever back and forth on tractor making sure something wasn't stuck halfway on/off.... and it now magically WORKS! Needless to say I am very happy!!!

I am disappointed in my dealer. I called them almost a week ago to schedule a service call to fix this & they never even tried to call back. I'm so glad the problem is gone. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login