Go Bottom Go Bottom

ART Need Advice on tractor for 43 acres

View my Photos
mbking22
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-31          109185

OK, Art, & anyone else who wants to chime in. My brother in Franklin, TN, wants me to head up the search for a tractor to keep 43 acres of grass cut. No hay, just keeping it all to a manageable level. I think $ won't be a problem, so I want to help him get the optimum tractor & implements. Looking forward to hearing from everyone on this one. Should be fun & I can get vicarious thrills going to a dealer and watching his eyes light up!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109188

Turfgrass like on a sod farm or just field grass? What kind of finished appearance... finishing mower or bush hog? Cut weekly? Monthly? Seasonally?

In any case, 43 acres of grass is plenty unless you're talking about a golf course! ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-03-31          109189

I'd say mostly field grass, they want to keep it fairly low, probably less than 4 or 5 inches. Probably want to mow it 2 or 3 times/month, depending on growth. They have an old woods finish mower, looks about 5 or 6 foot. They live next door to a horse farm and let the neighbors ride horses over their property alot. Don't know what kind of shape it's in. Probably can be put in working order pretty easily. They have an old Ford but it's not hydro, with an added ROPS, they'll probably either sell to me or trade in. ....

View my Photos

2005-03-31          109193

advice for cutting 43 acres in Tenn.

Personally, I would get a 6 or 7 foot Howse
brushhog and a kubota L3430 with a cab + air cond.

doc ....

View my Photos

2005-03-31          109195

advice on cutting 43 acres

what is this field grass on to need to be cut 2-3
times per month? If you are getting that much growth
why dont you get someone to bail it. If it grows
to a certain height as some grasses do, I am not
sure what you want to cut it so often for. That is
a heck of alot of growth for one spring-summer-fall.
I personally love Howse, because if set up properly
and maintained they are tough tough tough. I have cut
8to9 foot high thick marsh grass with my 5 footer
and my B-2400 (the neighbor had let it go for a year)
Also, I can get ANY part for my Howse within one hour
in stock-by driving to the place.

doc ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-03-31          109197

I'll have to find out how often they want it cut. they don't want to let it get high enough to bail, probably it could get by with once/month. They want it to look good. I'm thinking somewhere between a Kubota 3830 and 5030, somewhere between 6 & 8 foot mower, give or take a foot either way. Again, just in the initial stages here. ....

View my Photos

2005-03-31          109201

cutter size

If you are talking of buying a 4 wheel drive 3830 or
a 5030 to just cut 43 acres of grass, I think you
are going to spend alot of money. I can turn a 6
foot Howse easily with my L3430 HST. If I had to cut
that much I would look for a reel-type cutter used
like those used on golf courses and a 2-wheel drive
tractor, possibly a WD-45 Allis Chalmers or a D-17
Allis. If you want bigger, maybe a nice older 3020
John Deere. That is IF that is all it is to be used
for and it is dry and level. Wetness and roughness
add a whole new dimension though.

doc ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109206

84" front mount commercial mower. See my pics number 16 and 17 ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-03-31          109214

Well, the more we talk, the more I like it. He wants a tractor with a cab he can get in and not get so dusty (allergies). He likes the idea of a 5030 with maybe a 8 or 9 foot mower to get it done asap. Thanks guys, keep the suggestions coming! ....

View my Photos
BrendonN

2005-03-31          109217

The time needed to cut this many acres would be a little discouraging to me. A 9-foot mower at 4mph gives a capacity of only about 4 acres per hour. (Approximate acres/hour = width (ft) times speed (mph) divided by 10.) So, one would have to plan on nearly ten hours per mowing.

Personally, I would find a neighbor to cut and bale the grass for hay. Assuming that the field yields 1 ton per acre per year and the grass can be sold for $50/ton (both are typical for decent grass hay) gives a gross income of $2150. The landowner would usually get 1/3 of the net income as rent payment.

Of course, another assumption that I am making in saying all this is that the grass is of a type in demand for hay. Timothy, brome, and others make good salable hay. Fescues and the like would probably not. ....

View my Photos
glocknut30

2005-03-31          109218

I think you’re on the right track. The L series is light enough not to pack the field but heavy enough to not slip that much. You’ll appreciate 40+ HP when running a large cutter and the AC on full blast. And don’t forget the tunes ;-)

What sort of edging is required? Is it fenced in or bordered by a tree line or creek bank? I ask because I spend a lot of time making both of these areas look neat. A Hydro tranny or at least GST will make this much less of a chore. You’ll NEED cruise-control for the boring parts! Also consider fuel capacity. Nothing is worse than having to refuel more than once a day

Be sure to check the manufacturer’s spec for maximum recommended cutter size for the tractor. It’s usually smaller than you would think.

Ya know, it kinda sounds like fun. If I’m ever out that way maybe I’ll stop and mow it for him once…. or twice!

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-31          109227

Well, if money isn't really a problem then a on site inspection would be best! The Grand L 5030 is a nice unit but not for this job! A job is what it would be to mow 40 plus acres a couple of times a month! For what I'm thinking a little either way but a 12 or 15 foot bat wing finish mower set on high would be pretty good and I'd go for a small M series like the 6800 which would work real well and they have a full fatured cab with air. It's a tractor that would be there and do the work with little problem with little time involved. I like the hydro's when used in tight quarters but a big open area with little speed or direction changes is where the gears take over. The lower price for the gear drive tractor makes more horsepower easier to afford. Depending on contours and if a loader is also needed even a two wheel drive would mow fine. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-04-01          109239

WOW! I can't tell you guys how much this is helping me. I'll ask him how often he's had it mowed, he's only been there a few months. The property is bordered by what they call a "slave wall" on a good bit of it. It's stacked stones and really pretty. It's about 3 or 4 ft high. There's a small lake & horse farm on the other side, dont remember the back.I could be wrong about twice/month, maybe only once per 3 or 4 weeks-I'll check on that. It's beautiful land. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-04-01          109241

I'm with Art on this one. An 8' mower is not going to get the job done quickly enough. The highway dept around here uses open station Kubota M9000's with batwing style bush hogs to cut the medians and shoulders about 3 times per season. I'd get a Cab model M-series for comfort and a finish mower for better cut quality, but go with as wide of a swath as you can afford. A 12' model would realistically take a full 8-hour day to cut 43 acres, 15' would shave off a couple hours. ....

View my Photos
chevytruck13

2005-04-01          109286

You know I understand you guys about getting something of decent size so it doesn't take too long. But really if you move on to a place with 43 acres you shouln't mind spending one weekend a month keeping it up. Even if you lived on a normal city lot cutting the grass takes what 2 hours a week. So spending 8-10 hours cutting this isn't that bad. If you didn't want any work keeping up your land you should stay in town. Isn't a little seat time to think and ponder lifes problems the fun of it. I would go with one of the previous posters find a older 3020 JD with a cab. Maybe a 10 foot sicle mower and have fun out there. It will probably cost you less for the above than just the fancy finish mower you guys are talking about. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-04-02          109293

I haven't joined yet so I'm not able to read all of some of these posts, but I agree with the last one. He told me last night he wants to cut it once every 2-3 wks. I talked to a dealer there in Franklin & he's going to come out next wk. He wants a big tractor for the ride and w/43 acres there are so many uses. We're leaning to L5030, now the best bang for buck with RFM? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-04-02          109295

The time to mow the 43 acres with a 72" deck would depend on the ground speed but you would easily have 12 if not 15 hours involved in mowing and to do that twice a month would take to much time for me to layout. Part of the fun is the ability to use them but it would also be bad to add a job that would take more time then we might have. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-04-02          109300

I wasn't gonna chime in but do feel the need.

Playing on a tractor for a couple of weekends might sound real cool for those with out one or that haven't spent a lot of time on machinery. However spending hours doing something that "HAS TO BE DONE" when there are other chores or family things to do will get real old real quick.

Get the tractor that will allow you to mow in less than 8 hours, and I'll bet in less than 2 years you will be fussing on how to do it quicker or wishing you had got a bigger machine.

Of course if you are wealthy and do not work and only need to play then go for small and enjoy.

My lawn takes about 4 hours to mow with a 35hp 4400 JD and a 72" landpride. I'm looking to see how I can do it in 2. Week end free time is valuable to me and I have lots of stuff to do besides sit on a compact a 1/2 day every weekend, mowing. I put over 350 hours per year on mine not counting my old tractor, so it does do lots more than just mow.

I like the batwing option...A professional 72" out front mower is currently a serious consideration. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-04-14          109827

Well, the bro pulled the trigger. Bought an M6800 w/cab, radio, 4WD, FEL, 10' Rotary mower. Already has Ford 1910 and Woods 6'RFM. Lucky dog! The salesman was great, can I say his name & dealer? It's not HST, some kind of gear drive, can anybody tell me simply how that works? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-04-15          109865

The salesmen was good to move him up! The 6800 depending on the model offers a manual shuttle as well as an optional hydraulic shuttle. The rest of the transmission is just a basic standard type. Both are good working units and have a lot of hours behind them. The 6800 will do him well with the ten foot mower. ....

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-04-15          109870

Thanks Art. I can't wait to see him behind the wheel of that big tractor. I really liked the salesman there at Franklin Kubota. He was pretty straight up with us and I think it's going to be a long and fruitful relationship for both parties. Thanks to all for your input! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login