Go Bottom Go Bottom

Box Blade tip for BX owners

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-31          109157

I just picked up a 4' king kutter xb box blade scraper from Coastal Tractor here in CT. It was new but weathered and they sold it to me at a great price. Anyway. I know there are tons of BX owners out there lately on this site and I want to keep you from making a mistake I almost made. DO NOT buy the 5' blade. I really think it will be too much for the little BX. It has plenty of HP but even with the 4' my wheels were spinning (all 4 or at least 3 at once) several times in my driveway grading the stone I pushed to the sides during the winter.

This 4' is plenty. I would think the 5' with the higher moldboard would be way too much like trying to pull a 53' trailer with a pickup truck and 500HP. Just too much weight for the machine. These little BX's have plenty of power but they are too light to go bigger than the 4'. Just my opinion from using a 4' blade today.

Boy have I been missing the boat. What a tool the box blade is! I can't wait to figure out all the "tricks".

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109162

Excellent advice! I agree completely.

The most important thing to consider with the BX series or any other sub-CUT is the "design intent". They're so closely related to their bigger CUT bretheren, many people overestimate their true capabilities. But... as far as what they were designed to do goes, you simply can't beat them! ....

View my Photos
kyvette
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-31          109166

cthonestguy, do you have any extra weigh on your BX, like wheel weights, fel, etc?

I have a NH TZ24DA which probably weighs about the same as the BX. I tried a 5' box blade but didn't have the rippers. It worked okay, but without the rippers and being able to load it, I couldn't fully test it.

I plan to acquire a box blade and go with a 4 foot model. Thanks for the info. Dave

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-03-31          109175

Something else to think about: Look around for the shorter top link that I have talked about befor on this forum. This short top link makes it MUCH easier to adjust the angle that your box digs at and how the rippers function.

One other thing: I am seriously considering a 2nd set of tires with the "bar" pattern for doing dirt work. Some folks here and elsewhere swear by them. (and don't even use the turfs any more.) ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-31          109176

I have the LA211 loader and it was on, I also have 2 50# wheel weights off my Wheel Horse on there. The rippers were pretty much set at the level position only knocking out high spots and it still broke the wheels when I filled it with gravel and tried to keep moving with the blade down.

Don't get me wrong, it worked fine but I really believe a 5' blade is overkill. Plenty of ponies under the hood but just not enough weight to pull it's own weight with all that resistance. There is an incredible size difference between the 4 and 5' box scrapers. The weight is over 100 pounds along with a much higher moldboard. Along with the weight difference you also will have much more material.

I had planned on getting a 5' because I plan on upgrading my machine to a bigger one soon but I'm glad I stumbled on the deal for this one. I was out the door for 275 so when I sell my BX2200 soon the blade will go to the new owner.

I found with the driveway, rather than try to pull the full 180' I did 50' at a time knocking down the high stuff and then once it was knocked down I could drag and grade the full 180 feet. Every year I need another 20 ton of stone. With the way this spread it out, I think I will get buy with 5 ton for touch up this year. I never though a 300 pound huink of steel would make me smile as much as my 1500 pound hunk of steel it's attached to! ....

View my Photos
its_that_guy@yahoo.c

2005-04-02          109301

Thank for the information.. My wife has agreed that I can get a sub-compact when we get our house finished. My dad and i own a JD 790 (30 hp) which easily pulls a 5' box blade and I was thinking that I could buy a 5' box blade and use it on both machines, but I will rethink that now.

thanks

View my Photos
bvance

2005-04-02          109304

I have a 4' Woods box blade on my BX2230 and like you, I was amazed at how much I could do with it. Here in the Great NorthWet, we have clay soil that is tuff to move period. I can put my teeth down and rip the clay with ease.

I am using the stock top link and it seems to do fine. Should I change to a shorter top link? Mine seems to rip just fine with it....what am I missing?

I agree, I would not go bigger than 4' for a BX. I think with firm footing (not in gravel) a BX would do OK with a 5', but why push it? ....

View my Photos
bvance

2005-04-02          109305

One other point on the tires. I have turf tires on mine. I really debated turf vs. bar and decided on turf because I ocassionally mow my yard with it.

I have also been very pleased with the turf tires. Again in the clay we have here, it can get pretty greasy especially when wet (which is often) but I've been impressed with their performance. I was going to get an extra set of bar tires, but really don't think I would use them......just a personal opinion as it relates to how I use them. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-02          109319

bvance: The shorter top link is ont only several times stronger, but being shorter allows the box to tip forward further allowing "finer" scraping to be done. With the stock link bottomed out, I found the box acting too agressive and digging in too much sometimes. Now I do not have that problem. I can even tip it foreward to the point where the inside blade begins to pick up off the ground (box sitting on the front of the side plates). The link that I have is still long enough (will adjust longer than the OEM) to tilt the box back so that the rear blade is nearly vertical, too.

Best $20 I spent on the tractor so far! ....

View my Photos
LenPhillips

2005-04-02          109321

I bougth a BX2230 and want to add some attachments have you seen a 3point dethacher 4 - 5 foot length?

Txs. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2005-04-03          109331

AV8R- Thanks for the explanation. Where can I find a shorter top link for my BX? ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-03          109333

I got mine from the local JD dealer. I found out yesterday that I could get one on order from my Kubota dealer too. Ask for a Tisco brand top link, model # JSA-1009. It is a very nice unit. ....

View my Photos
bvance

2005-04-03          109334

AV8R- Do I have to put them on an angle grinder for them to fit in the bushing area like some other posts on this subject? Thanks so much for your help. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-04-03          109335

If you have a bx2200 yes plan on a little grinding. It took me 5 minutes. Look at the related topic in this area for bx top link.

This link is much better than the factory one but it doesn't fit in the hanger when you don't have an an implement. Not having on an implement is like driving a car w/ out seats so who cares! ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-03          109341

Exactly cthonestguy. It took me about 5 minutes with the angle grinder to fit the width of the eyes to the tractor end of the top link. No big deal. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-04-03          109359

what kind of tires do you have?

I don't have a boxblade but I have a 5' scraper on my bx23. It works wonders even when scraping snow or thick mud. I have the zigzag tires (what are they called? not the turf ones). ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-03          109361

"...I have the zigzag tires ..."

Those are "bar" tires. I wish I had gotten them instead of the turfs. Traction can be limited with the turfs in dirt or snow. They work well, but the bar tires would be better from what I've read. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2005-04-11          109668

I just bought a second set of wheels so that I have both bar and turf tires. They didn't cost too much and its easy to switch back and forth since the tractor can jack itself up. The bar tires are really neccesary for construction work or mucky soil. ....

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-04-11          109674

"the tractor can jack itself up"
I can use the FEL to lift the front wheels, but how do you lift the rears? My three point is power up, but gravity down. Is it supposed to power down too?
David ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-04-11          109678

He probably has a BX22 or 23 with a backhoe. The stabilizers will lift the rear end off the ground.

I did the same when I had my BX.... the extra set of tires cost $300. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-04-11          109680

I have the bar lugs on my bx2200. If you saw what I did with it this weekend in about 6 hours with that, a box scraper, a york rake and a drag harrow you wouldn't belive it. I cut the grade of my rear hill in the back yard down considerably, spread it all even smoothed it out and have a nice rolling back yard now rather than a steep hill. The soil was pretty dry by mid-day and it had no traction issues pulling a full box blade. It was mostly down hill which helps too. I believe turf tires are for turf- period. The bar lugs I believe are also called a "turf" tire. Mine leave very little impact if any on my lawn as long as it's not mudy or wet out. The tread lightly until you need them. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2005-04-11          109697

Yup, he's right. Most of the time I have the backhoe on so I can pick up the rear end with the stabilizers. I understand that the backhoe can also be used to dig holes - not just facilitate changing wheels. ....

View my Photos
mohican

2005-04-15          109904

I agree with the box size. I have a new 24HP B7610 and while pulling a SBX60" BushHog box blade, I would lose traction while half full with stone or dirt. I had three suitcase weights up front, and until I loaded the rear tires with water/antifreze, no traction. What a difference ballast made! I have stone overfilling the box top and still pulling in low range 4wd just fine. I just added a LA352 FEL, that helped quite a bit more, these CUT are quite impressive. Ballast is the key period if you have sized your implements correctly you will lose traction first if not properly ballasted, not power. "DOC Kubota" made these recommendations to me, and he is very knowledgable. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login