Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which to buy BX2200 Deer 2210 Simplicity XL - they re all about 15k

View my Photos
amorey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-26          108791

I've got it narrowed down to three and was hoping to get some help/thoughts on which is the better tractor, or at least a reason to steer clear of a particular brand.

I have 3-4 acress or hilly terrain to mow, need 4x4, big deck and loader.

The Deer 2210 will run me $14600 (with loader and 62" deck). 3 cylinder diesel 23 HP. 3-point hitch.

Simplicity XL - 27hp diesel (with loader and 60" deck). $15k

Kubita BX2200 - 22hp diesel - waiting on a price, probably about the same.

They are all very similiar. I'm partial to the Simplicity as it rides like a Cadilac and is so easy to use my wife could drive it, and they're closer, but it's more expensive and probably has the weakest frame (listed as steel channel). The hitches on all three are "limited" so it will take careful planning to add a tiller or snowblower.

How important is it to compare lift capacities, PTO rpms?

Why wouldn't I just get the Deer. It's a fine tractor.

Then there's the Kubota, another fine tractor, but the mower deck isn't on par with the simplicity.

Either one I get, I'll baby it and run it for 20 years. But to choose...

My current tractor is a 30 year old Gravely 400 commericial grade with a front pto bush-hog and dozer blade. It's still going strong.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Adam

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-03-26          108792

My thoughts, the Simplicity is not any where close to the same class as the Deere or Kobota. I have a bx22. I just today looked at a Deere 2210 at the home show. I would buy the Deere. ....

View my Photos
amorey

2005-03-26          108818

Yeah they're asking an arm and a leg for the simplicity. They're banking on their 20 year rep. This is the only compact tractor model, so I'm a bit sceptacle of the design. But it drives nice, almost too nice for what I want to do with it.

Adam ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-26          108822

My opinion is the simplicity is way over priced for what it is. Kubota stopped making the bx2200 and it is now the bx2230. I have a 2200 and it is a great machine. So simple to use that the wife can use it. The Kubota relaibility is there. I think you pay too much for the green paint. The JD is a great machine too but I like the fact that the kubota is all kubota right down to the engine.

My opinion and opinion only is to stay clear of the simplicity. Great lawn tractors but too new to the bigger version. Go with the best dealer of the JD or Kubota and try both of them out. You can't go wrong. It's like a debate over Nissan and Toyota. Pick a good dealer and price and it will last if you take care of it. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-27          108865

1*The Deer 2210 will run me $14600 (with loader and 62" deck). 3 cylinder diesel 23 HP. 3-point hitch
2*Simplicity XL - 27hp diesel (with loader and 60" deck). $15k
3*Kubita BX2200 - 22hp diesel - waiting on a price, probably about the same.
4*They are all very similar.

5*I'm partial to the Simplicity as it rides like a Caddy and is so easy to use my wife could drive it,
6*but it's more expensive and
7* probably has the weakest frame.

8*Then there's the Kubota, another fine tractor, but the mower deck isn't on a par with the simplicity
9*Yeah they're asking an arm and a leg for the simplicity.
10*They're banking on their 20 year rep.

11*This is the only compact tractor model,

First we need to get some things clear as you are comparing apples to oranges with a pear or 2 thrown in here and there. You are not comparing 3 tractors from the same class; you are comparing 3 different classes against each other.

1*The Deer 2210 is a sub compact tractor and at 14600 is 2800 more than the 11800 I paid for my Kubota BX 23 sub compact with a loader & 60' mower I also added 3700 for the BH on my Kubota bring the total I paid to 15500. Adding 3700 for a back hoe to the 14600 JD brings the cost of the JD equipped like my Kubota to 18300.
2*The Simplicity XL is a Lawn and Garden Tractor which is a step down to a class below the sub compact class. I tested and drove it before buying the Kubota Bx 23.
The back hoe for it was over 6000 now you're looking at 21000 .
One problem with the Simplicity Is to many items are extra cost items ; Even the ROPS and the diesel engine.
By the time I specked one out equipped like my Kubota It cost over 21000 compared to the 15500 for the BX23 so I went with the Kubota.
I just couldn't see paying more Than a Lincoln for a Ford when I could have the Lincoln for less!
3*As you can see in my case the Kobota was a lot less than either of the other 2.
4* Not really as lawn and garden, Sub compact and compact aren't the same.

5*Would you mow your lawn and do yard work with a Caddy?
The BX drives and rides fine and I would imagine the JD does like wise. Don't see why any lady couldn't drive any 1 of the three.
6*Tell me about it.
7*Garden tractors aren't built like Sub compacts and compacts.

8*What makes you think that? I see nothing wrong with mine- does a real nice job.
9*Especelly when they are charging as much or more for a garden tractor as the other 2 brands are selling sub compacts for.
10*What do they have to brag about ? 20 years is much shorter than either Kubota or JD.

11*Wrong It's the only lawn and garden tractor. The other 2 are Sub Compacts.
None of the 3 tractors are compacts.

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-27          108870

fantastic response I must say mr Brown! ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108885

The new Legacy XL is a lot closer to the BX and the 2210 than most peaple think. We owned a Simplicity Legacy a while back before the XL version was born. They make lack some experience in the Utility tractor market, but it worth noting that Simplicity and Agco are cousins. Simplicity can draw a lot of experience from that relationship.

I haven't been on the new Legacy XL, but if the same quality goes into the XL that went into the older Legacy, it would be one fine machine. The fit-finish and overall quality was every bit as good as the the Kubotas I've had, and that says a lot in my book since I really like the Botas (IMHO). The people at Simplicity (corporate) where very professinal and helped us make some serious modifications to the old Legacy we had.

I don't recommend one over the other, just suggest they are worth a look. Simplicty has always made good equipment, and they are completely manufactured in the States. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108890

Who's motor/tranny is Simplicity using? I don't think they make their own, do they? ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-03-27          108892

Haven't checked in a while, but it used to be Kohler Command air cooled gas, or Briggs-Stratton diesel. There may have been a Kawasaki liquid cooled gas, that chunk wouldn't have been homegrown. Not sure who made their hydros, the people in corporate talked like it was their own.

Their Loaders and Backhoes were manufactured by KW Manufacturing in Kansas. They used to do their own, but started outsourcing some time in the 90's I think. ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-27          108893

> "The Deer 2210 will run me $14600 "

I bought my BX23 last summer including MMM & BH for about that price +/-. Wait and see what price Kubota actually quotes you.

Unless you're paying cash, also figure the financing into the total cost (kubota is 0% again I've heard) ....

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-27          108894

> "I'm partial to the Simplicity... is so easy to use my wife could drive it, "

I am also female, and I have no background in using a FEL/BH. I LOVE the kubota. It's small enough I can handle it, and it's big enough to do the work that I need done on my 15ac. It could be my imagination but it also seemed a bit quieter than the comparable NH and JD I testdrove.

Also ask about tire types. I opted for the bigger nubbly tires (not sure the right name?). I've been really happy with them. Didn't seem to hurt my lawn and I never got stuck in the snow or mud. Just something to think about if you're asking about traction (4x4) ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-03-28          108901

What's it gonna be worth in 20 years? 10 Years?

What tractors are out there for sale that are 10years old what are they going for?

Many of the big 3 you will get most if not all of your money back if you take care of it in 10-15 years.

My thoughts are on the trades I've made and the auction prices I have seen lately. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-28          108903

Take one look at the frame on the Simplicity and you'll have your answer. Don't be deceived by HP ratings; all of them have more engine power than you could possibly put to use with a tractor of that size and weight. The Kubota and the Deere are superior machines. The Kubota will likely give you the best bang for your buck, but go with the DEALER you like best. If you're going to keep a tractor for the long haul, you'll want a dealer who supports their product well. I drive 15 miles out of my way because that dealer has a better reputation than the one I pass every day to and from work. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-28          108911

Here is another one amorey should check out before he buys.

Massey Ferguson - 2310 TLB

http://tractorpoint.com/cgi-bin/tractor/fullThread.pl?parentnum=67942&catcode=MA&catname=Massey%20Ferguson

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2005-03-28          108913

Don't know anything about the Simplicity. I bought a BX2200 last year after comparing equal NH ($3000 more) and equal JD ($4000 more) and just recently bought B7800 after comparing equal NH ($3000 more) and equal JD ($5000 more). Don't know if my Kubota dealer is that much cheaper (which he seems to be from prices I'm seeing on this board) or the NH and JD dealers in this area are that much higher. I went for Kubota based on the money and have no regrets. I (my wife really)also have a BX1500 which we/she loves to use. At $15000 your probably not far from the B series CUT Kubotas which is a big step up from BX series in every way but mowing. ....

View my Photos
amorey

2005-03-28          108948

I can't wait to goto the Kubota this weekend. I know it's going to be cheaper. That's what I'm going to get. (btw - it totally sucks that I have to pay $20 just to read everyone's posts!)

Adam ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-28          108953

Not for nothing but the $20.00 for this site probably saved you a $15,000 mistake by buying the wrong tractor. Once you buy a machine you will see that 20 bucks goes a long way on this site. I paid my 20 and think I got it back about 10 times in less than a year. ....

View my Photos
jjfinn

2005-03-28          108958

I looked at NH, JD, and Simplicity before I bought my Kubota BX 23. While all are good machines, IMHO the Kubota was the biggest bang for the buck. And I really felt that the Kubota dealer was more professional than the others, although the JD dealer was clearly very professional as well. The NH dealer.....(best left unsaid).

While I am very pleased with the Kubota that I purchased, it still comes down to a few basic questions: What do you want to use the machine to do. What can do it best. And what dealer do you feel most comfortable with for both purchase and service. In my case, the Kubota was clearly the best, and I have not been disappointed at all.

Good luck

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2005-03-29          108975

Wow!!! First time I've seen anyone complain about the $20 charge. Don't you think you've already saved much more than $20 by getting other peoples actual experience concerning the specific product your researching? I bought my first tractor before joining (payed membership) this forum. I talked to several people that owned tractors and most of them only knew about the one tractor they owned for many years so info was a little outdated and not as valuable as info I have gained from this board/forum. None of the dealers seemed to be real communicators either. I'm sure they knew about their product but it had to be drug out of them and I wasn't sure what to drag. Anyway, good luck with your purchase. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-04-05          109439

post vanished ??? ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-04-05          109441

1*The new Legacy XL is a lot closer to the BX and the 2210 than most peaple think.
They may lack some experience in the Utility tractor market, but it is worth noting that Simplicity and Agco are cousins.
2* Simplicity can draw a lot of experience from that relationship.
*The fit-finish and overall quality was every bit as good as the the Kubotas I've had, and that says a lot in my book since I really like the Botas
3* Simplicty has always made good equipment,.
1*The Legacy XL is a lawn and garden tractor as Simplicty plainly states in their brochure on the Legacy XL.
The BX Kubotas are Sub Cuts.
You can't compare a lawn and garden tractor with a sub cut because that's an apple to oranges comparison.
2*But it still don't make a sub compact, compact or utility tractor out of a lawn and garden tractor.
*Even so that don't make the Legacy XL garden tractor a sub cut or cut tractor.
3*I agree they do, but a good garden tractor does not equate to the same class of tractor as Sub compact and compact.

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-18          109988

I had my first opportunity to look at one of these XL units this past weekend. Here are my overall impressions comparing it to my BX2230 (all observation are my OPINION):

FEL: The FEL is a nice design, it is similar to the JD 2210's FEL. The install/removal seems to be very quick and easy. There are no "legs" like on the Kubota (My only pet peeve) and looks to be self standing. The construction of the unit, however, does not look anywhere near as robust as the BX, JD or the TZ. The bucket, especially, is very light looking to me.

3pt: Is much more limited than the Kubota which is smaller than the JD and TZ. It looks more like a CAT 0, very small, and no turnbuckle adjusters of any kind.

Tractor: The tractor itself looks like a nicely made unit. IT HAS FULL GAUGES!! There is a hand lever for the travel control (forward) in addition to a 2 pedal system, a-la JD. The Hydraulic Valve control is one lever to control the FEL, 3pt, Deck, everything. There is an electric toggle switch to go from the FEL to the 3pt. (Looks like a future problem to me) The tires and wheels are small, they may be smaller the BX1500, this could be a limiting factor too.

There is NO ROPS or SEATBELT! I didn't think this was legal, but I'm not a lawyer. Definitely a safety risk!

Over all I would call this unit a large lawn mower rather than a sub-CUT. Not to diminish its capabilities, I just think that it is less machine than the "big 3's" sub-CUTs (BX, JD, TZ).

Still, its better than a push mower and a shovel!! ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-04-19          110106

Last summer I looked at the Legacy, NH, and JD. I was a three-time Simplicity owner prior to that. They always performed well, thus I considered them when I want something bigger. In the end I bought a JD2210.

I was surprised that the JD cost less than the Simplicity. The best price I could get from the Simplicity dealer on a Legacy w/FEL was $11,700 (+tax). I had purchased all my Simplicity products there as well as all other garden/lawn equipment. THus I expected a good deal.

However, my JD w/FEL ran $11,190 (+tax). I thought the JD was built better and had better dealer support. The PTO, Cat 1 hitch, Loader controls, and seating all were better in my mind. Somehow I liked being at the small end of the AG line rather than the top end of the garden line.

I encourage you to look hard at JD and Kubota. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-04-20          110126

Being a Simplicity dealer for a short time I found them to be a well built unit with great reliability and durability. It does not compete with the other units. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-20          110127

Art: What about the ROPS? What is the legal requirement? (if you know.) I thought the there was a link to FEL use and needing an ROPS? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login