Go Bottom Go Bottom

Size

View my Photos
Matt_W
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-22          108522

Well I have been reading and following the website for sometime now and you all have been a great resource for me. I have never owned a tractor and have just built a new home on 21 acres of wooded land in Pa. It has hills and springs but is flat (1 acre or 2) where the house is built on top of a hill with a 1100 foot gravel driveway winding up to it. Would the BX23 be right for me or should I consider a B series? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Some of my needs are:
Maintain Driveway
Cut Grass (1 Acre or Two)
Haul Wood
Some Drainage for gutters
Plant Grass, (rent tiller)
Make Trails
Landscaping
Make Pond
Excavate for Garage

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Size

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-22          108534

Matt, you aren't doing to bad except for the pond! Now I'd tell you that that would be really pushing it and you should hire someone for that job. Could you use more tractor, yes but it is not needed. The larger tractor wouldn't have as much versatility or manuvering abilty. ....

Size

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-22          108539

I know where Art's coming from, but I think the B is just right. Not too large to mow with, but has the full Category-1 hitch and enough weight to put it to good use. I traded from a Sub-compact to the B, and am really happy I moved up. If you are moving logs

If you're talking about a garden pond, either machine would do the job. Anything more than that, hire it out.

Tractors and boats have the same genetics. The more you are on them, the smaller they get. ....

Size

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-03-22          108542

If it were me, I'd buy a riding mower with 42-54" deck to mow 1-2 acres. Then would purchase a CUT in the 27-35 HP range to do the other stuff. A cheap rider is less than the cost of MMM or RMM and can get around in your yard. It will have all sorts of other uses with a little trailer, etc. for the wife for gardening, plants, shrubs, etc. while you are on the larger tractor. ....

Size

View my Photos
fLRAZRBACK

2005-03-22          108584

I feel that the BX series would tackle all of your major task. The only question is the tree moving. If the timber is large and you have a bunch of it then look at the B7510 or maybe the new B2930. The BX is more than powerful than you expect, but lacks the weight needed to really get the big grunt jobs knocked out. Call your local rental equipment dealer for your pond excavation. Big excavators are a blast to operate and a wheel loader will get the dirt out of the way. Have a great time with all that land, sounds like you are going to be busy ! ! ....

Size

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-23          108591

Maintain Driveway = any BX
Cut Grass (1 Acre or Two) = any BX
Haul Wood = any BX (with trailer) or large B-series (for small log skidding)
Some Drainage for gutters = BX23
Plant Grass, (rent tiller) = any BX (48" max)
Make Trails = any BX
Landscaping = any BX
Make Pond = BX23 (small ornamental pond) or B21 (rental unit) or hire out (for anything over ~24' across)
Excavate for Garage = B21 (rental unit) or hire out ....

Size

View my Photos
Matt_W

2005-03-23          108626

Thanks for all the response's!!!!
Lets say that the pond is way down on my list of things to do but why not consider it. It would be more of damming of a small spring creek channel to create so I don't think there would be a lot of material to move but who knows what I would be getting into. There is ledge and clay in that area and that clay is really heavy, But where the garage would be is very sandy.
I thought the ground clearance might be an issue here in the mud; BX23-6.7inches vs. B series that is almost double that.
I do have a little 12.5hp craftsman lawn tractor (42 inch mmm) that I could cut with.
I have been skidding the logs with my 4x4 to my splitter but could always cut them and get a trailer to carry.

Size

View my Photos
botamac

2005-03-23          108639

You would be surprised what a BX 23 can do, it does a lot for the size it is. I’ve cleared out about an acre that was wooded (check out pics) for my pole barn this year. I bought the BX because when I’m all done the BX will be fine for the size of lot I have and the MMM will mow about an acre and half. I looked at it this way when I’m all done my tractor won’t be to big to use. And yes sometimes bigger is better, but if I need something bigger I’ll rent it. ....

Size

View my Photos
COUNTZERO

2005-03-23          108644

Matt,
I have a bx23 and a property the exact size of yours. I'm constantly amazed at what the bx23 will do. However, I'm always wishing I had a little more. If I were you I'd go with the B or L series for the weight only. The horse power of the BX23 is fine but I'm always spinning my wheels(turf tires don't help). Bx is a sweet tractor but lacks a little punch. Good luck and let us know what you decide on. ....

Size

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS

2005-03-25          108725

I bought BX2200 a little over a year ago and it did about all of the things you mentioned you needed. I traded it in for a B7800. It does all the BX does but much quicker and more stable. The B will push and pull without spinning so much better than the BX. From what you have told, I would get the B tractor. You'll find you want to do alot more than originally planned especially with that much land.
I recently did alot of dragging a landscape rake with my BX1500 (or my wife did,it's hers). Frequently backing up and retrying to go and getting stuck (spinning tires). Hooked it to B and it went everywhere like it wasn't even on tractor. No retrys or spinning tires. It just goes.
Also fel is so much better and more stable on B. Would be no choice for me having owned both. ....

Size

View my Photos
Matt_W

2005-05-02          110626

Well I have been to 2 dealers and have compared pricing for the bx23 and the b7510 and some options. I am leaning towards the b7510 due to the higher ground clearance and feel I could just get more use out of it in the long run although the 2 tractors seem similar. I guess I will lose some manuvering ability but still keep it light to cut grass on top of the sand mound. I am going to leave the backhoe off cause I just can’t justify the high cost and will rent to do this work. Basically a 302 loader and tractor right now with a rear blade or box blade to do some light grading. Then later a finish mower. I am still waiting for the dealer to get some tractors set up to test ride!!! I am learning as I go thanks. Is there any considerations I am missing?? ....

Size

View my Photos
Oliver

2005-05-02          110631

After much, my wife will say too much, deliberation I bought a 7510 last July. Bottom line is I love it! I'm glad I bought the 7510 instead of the BX -- there have been times I wish I went even bigger, but I think that is just because I have been building a new house; now that most of the serious earthmoving is done, the 7510 will do everything I ask and more. My biggest complaint is the lack of position control. The quarter inch valve works better than a simple up and down control, but if I could add position control I would. ....

Size

View my Photos
mohican

2005-05-03          110659

I have a little over 36 acres, and decided to go with the B7610 w/LA352 FEL and filled R-4's. I would pay the little bit of difference for this over the B7510 tractor for the bigger loader and 3hp 21>24. I wished it was a B7800 or L2800/3400 series moving logs sometimes, but I manage and the ground clearance when working in the woods (my land is hilly, and I ford small creeks) is where the B series realy shines over the terrific BX tractors. The full Cat 1 capability is nice as well. My two cents worth as a first time tractor owner.
Jim ....

Size

View my Photos
Barn boy

2005-05-11          110953

I just purchased a B3030.My needs are very simular to yours. I wouldnt consider anything smaller than the B. The full cat 1 hitch a plus. I have tilled with my 55" LP tiller and never had any problems with power. Over all a very good tractor. Lots of gadgets but if budget is a problem consider B7800. Same tractor with less gadgets ....

Size

View my Photos
Matt_W

2005-05-12          110984

My thinking has kinda changed now, Talked to so many people who say buy as big as you can afford. I do want to keep it for a lifetime so I think a b7800 would be the perfect choice. But my finances are telling me otherwise. So I am thinking b7510 or 7610. The $$ difference is about $1000. ....

Size

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-12          110993

Matt, these are my thoughts on looking at your property although I should ask a few questions but just correct me if I might be wrong. One to two acres might mean a well detailed lawn with a lot of obstacles to mow around like flower gardens or shrubs and trees which would mean a highly manuverable mower. It might be wise to consider an economicle zero turn mower about fifty plus inchs of width for the lawn. You might want to look at the Kubota L-2800 hydro with loader for a long term larger tractor. This would give you a more long term investment that would add some flexibility to your equipment. Lawn mowing should be light and the rest is heavy work. But if there was an ideal single tractor the large B series is the best of both worlds with the 72" deck. ....

Size

View my Photos
tractorbrad

2005-05-16          111109

There are always trade offs with any multi purpose machine and you can buy to big of tractor contrary to what some folks will tell ya. I live in the woods and have a long driveway but not nearly as long as the one you have and if'n it were'n me [as my father-in-law use to say] I 'd opt for a tractor with a good amount of ground clearance for going into the woods and one with a pretty fair amount of horsepower to maintain the driveway. I would think that a machine in the area of 30 hp would serve you well for those issues and a separate mower for the lawn care could handle the rest. I ended up with a New Holland TC33D and as Tim the Toolman Taylor says you can never have to much power, it's size and power has served me well. Good Luck and enjoy your new machine. ....

Size

View my Photos
Matt_W

2005-05-16          111117

Hi Art, The size will be 1 to 2 acres and there will be lots of flower gardens my wife already has in now but not too many trees. I want to try to make it as tractor friendly as possible if that is possible. To ease the curves so the tractor can follow and if needed will make beds around the trees but keep it light to mow ontop of a sand mound. As far as snow we don't really get too much snow, Need to plow 2 or 3 times a year, Now don't laugh but I have been using a triangel pounded out of left over house wood pulled behind my 4x4 to keep that clear so far. I would love the larger B or L series but I am afraid the B7610 is the biggest for the budget at this time. ....

Size

View my Photos
Art White

2005-05-17          111150

Matt, many times I've one over this with people and I know that size is of concern but sometimes it isn't. The BX carries the same deck width as it's larger brothers the B-75-7610. Weight is near identical and the only major difference is the tires and attachments like the loader which will give you more height and lift capacity but not enough to load trucks either! For a the price of the BX-23 you could have two sets of tires the turfs and ag style for three hundred more for excavating. The woods would be tough for any tractor if much is to be done more then cutting and hauling some of it. The springs could be developed with the backhoe and flower beds can be adjusted quickly to. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login