Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7200 2WD vs 4WD and How Brakes Work

View my Photos
Brent
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-09          10824

Please help. Found '88 Kubota B7200. Owner tell's me it has only 360 hrs. Says it's in very good cond.,not great,not immaculate,haven't seen it. Has ag tires,2wd,was pwr.steering option w/this model? 42" kuhn tiller,toolbar w/discs,sweeps,3 middlebusters,turning plow,4'brushcutter,4'box blade & 3 weights in front. Could someone help price this pkg. assuming all attachments are in avg.cond. Good/bad points of tractor?/or web site to research? Thanks in advance.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-10          10879

Brent, I'm not sure I can be much help; haven't ever used a B7200, but it isn't that much different I guess from the B7100 I had for 4 years, with one big exception. My B7100 was 4WD. I'd suggest you try it out with the different implements before you buy it. I can't say what you'll find, but I'll speculate that it'll work quite well with the mower and tiller, but if it'll pull the plows, you've sure got softer dirt than I have. And for that many hours, it ought to be just like new (I'd kinda worry about that "good but not great condition"). What kind of maintenance did it have? Has it just been sitting outside? ....

View my Photos
Brent

1999-12-10          10881

Thanks for reply Bird SEnter.Owner asking 7500$ for pkg. deal. Found out p/s was option on 2w/d models. Guess i'll have to see it, with that few hrs.,should have orig.tires,not much wear. If it was garaged & meticulously maintained, what telltale signs should i look for on increased hrs.Does this model only have 3 digit hour meter? ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-12-10          10886

With only 360 hours, no 4x4 and no loader it is hard to see how it could be used very hard. I'd expect weathering to be the only sign of wear. I wouldn't be surprised to see the rear tires half worn out if the ground is hard.
But are you sure that this is the type tractor that you want? IMHO, all the attachmnents together don't add up to a loader, and a small compact diesel without 4x4 does not do well with a loader. ....

View my Photos
Brent

1999-12-10          10887

Yeah Roger L. I'll go look at it,but it better be in really good cond. along with implements. I dunno,maybe offer 6k if he'll throw in 16ft.trailer.Or maybe keep looking for mwfd&loader. Ican find good used equip.all over,but not many sm compacts in this area,esp.with loader unless big$. 5 times more useful w/loader. just got the iwanna's ....

View my Photos
PaulB

1999-12-11          10888

Brent - I own a B1700, which is essentially the same size and capability as the 7200, just newer. Sometimes just for fun I will tool around in 2 wheel drive just to see how it feels, and the loss of capability when compared to 4 wheel drive is astounding. Simple tasks, like dragging a tine harrow over soft ground in the riding arena, cause wheelspin and loss of efficiency, and I have ag tires. I may be wrong on this point, but at least on the 4wd models, when you are in 2wd you only have rear brakes. If that applies to the full time 2wd machines or not I do not know, but if all you have is rear brakes, you better live in Kansas, or you will get in trouble quick. The real farm tractors get traction from tremendous weight. Our little tractors NEED 4wd to do anything but the most simple of tasks, on the flattest of surfaces in my opinion. I might spend $5000 on it if all I wanted was a super duper lawnmower, but I bet you will be disappointed if you ask it to do much more than that.
PaulB ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-12-11          10890

Brent, I'm not too sure I can tell you what all to look for in inspecting the tractor, but definitely look for rust, leaks (fuel, oil, transmission, coolant), corrosion around the battery and/or other wiring, dents or other damage, the sound of it running (and I don't know how I could tell you what it should sound like), check oil & transmission oil - is it dirty, any sign of moisture or rust, look inside radiator for rust or oil. And then not being very well acquainted with that model, I don't know how many digits it's supposed to have on the hour meter (I didn't know they made any with only 3 digits until I read it on one of these discussion boards recently). And lastly, I agree with Roger and Paul. I would have been really unhappy with my B7100 if it had not had 4WD (I'd have spent too much time winching it out of spots I couldn't drive out of, which never happened with 4WD and the differential lock). ....

View my Photos
Brent

1999-12-11          10891

Thanks for Your advice all. Now that you guy's have calmed me down some,I believe I'll wait till another,hopefully better {equipped) deal comes along,one will eventually. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-12-11          10895

Good thinking Brent. I'm not surprised that Paul and Bird and myself are all agreeing that 4wd is necessary on the compact diesels. You aren't going to find many opinions the other way. Compacts aren't like big tractors. Many of us have big tractors as well, and the fact that the big tractor has tremendous traction in 2wd doesn't mean anything at all. The compact diesel isn't really a scaled-down version of an Ag tractor. It is a different animal. Keep in mind that they aren't full-time 4wd. It is selectable. Most of us use them in 2wd whenever we can get away with it - which is mostly when we are driving somewhere and not really doing any work....so we all know the limitations of using 2wd in compact diesels from direct experience. ....

View my Photos
bo

1999-12-11          10898

Brent,gonna add my nickel, don't even think about a compact without 4wd. YOu'll not be happy. The Jd 870 in 4wd pulls as much as the 4500 ford in two wheel and the ford weighs twice as much. Iv'e been in situations where if wasn't for the four wheel, the tractor would still be there. The bucket is also invaluable. Got the JD buried in mud {turf tires} and the 4wd buried it deeper. Dropped the bucket and curled and pushed that little puppy out. Use the Jd for most every thing now. The thing is loaded with testosterone. bo ....

View my Photos
Karl Bowman

2001-02-12          24147

Brent - my '89 B7200 dosen't have power steering. It's 4WD - diesel.
Kuboda 1630 loader, 4' bush hog squeeler, woods finish mower, yanmar 4' tiller plus all documentation: owner's manual, illustrated parts list, workshop manual. I've got a post on the board now trying to get feedback on what's a fair price. Gotta sell - gotta contract on the land today. . .

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login