Go Bottom Go Bottom

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-17          108174

I just took delivery of a new BX23. I’ve learned a lot searching this forum (and one other)for info. Thanks for the help.

I’m in the market for PTO chipper, log splitter (tow behind) and an off road dump trailer to move material with tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-17          108175

Pulled the trigger a little too quick on that first post.

You guys seem to be having a lot of fun working with these machines and sharing what you know with each other and new members like me.

Thanks again.

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-17          108176

Congrats. We bought our 2-ton hydraulic dump trailer from Country Manufacturing in Fredrickstown, Ohio. ( $1200 plus my own hydraulics $200). We use the poop out of it and find it to be one of the best purchases we have made. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jjfinn

2005-03-17          108200

Congratulations on the new orange machine.

With a BX23, you should also consider using the loader for moving material. I have not needed a trailer due to use of the loader. Further, that allows me to keep the backhoe on for ongoing use, as well as a counter weight for the loader. Of course it depends on your needs and topography, and the volume of materials you want to move at any given time.

Good luck,
jjfinn ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-18          108208

Congrats on your new Kubota! They are great machines. My only advice... I've said it before and I'll say it again... stick to implements specifically sized for sub-compacts.

Subcompact sized PTO chipper:
salsco dot com/600.htm

Subcompact sized offroad dump trailer:
kingkutter dot com/XBProducts.asp?XBProd=Dump%20Trailer ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-18          108209

BTW, a 1-7/8 ball hitch fits like a glove in the BX's factory drawbar. I use mine to pull around a 4x8 utility trailer which I also tow behind my car. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-18          108231

beagle,

Thanks, I like the look of it. It’s also available from Northern Tool. The wagon version looks good too, but I don’t think I can use it.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=47588&R=47588

Link:   Trailer

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-18          108232

jjfin,

Thanks for input. Some jobs will be best done that way, but for others, I‘d be making a lot of trips from front/bottom to back/top of property. I’ll need to have materials delivered (crushed stone, gravel, etc.) to one location and then move it for parking pads, retaining walls, etc.

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-18          108233

jarndt,

Dealer recommended Mackissic Chipper/Shredder. I will be shredding leaves and small stuff as well as chipping limbs up to about 3” Max.

The King Kutter Trailer looks like a nice fit. Any experience taking something like that down hill with a load. I’m thinking it would be best to back it down.

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-18          108246

rick5555,

Luckily I've never had any high-pucker experiences with heavy loads on slopes. My best advice would be to stay within the weight limits listed in the manual and pay close attention to traction conditions. Stay in 4x4 mode on slopes, it increases your braking power. You're right about backing downhill. Heaven forbid, it'd be better to get dragged down vs. run over! ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-22          108532

With a BX23, you should also consider using the loader for moving material. I have not needed a trailer due to use of the loader. Further, that allows me to keep the backhoe on for ongoing use, as well as a counter weight for the loader. Of course it depends on your needs and topography, and the volume of materials you want to move at any given time.

Good luck,
jjfinn
==========
By leaving the BH on you don't need to fool with the hassle of wheel weights or loaded tires either.

skinderflirt ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
bobodude

2005-03-22          108559

Welcome to the BX-23 club. I've got about 40 hrs on mine and I just can't wait to get out side and dig up something. You will find that the backhoe has alot of muscle. When digging in very rocky soil, it will pull your tractor into the hole if you are not careful. I learned to take little bites after being dragged around even with the bucket down and the stabilzers extended. Remember to keep it at less than 75% throttle until it has 50 hrs. I have the parts list in pdf if you need it. Good luck. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
funchy

2005-03-22          108565

Congrats on your new "toy"!! I got mine last summer and I LOVE it.

jarndt- any idea how much that Salso unit costs? I dont see prices anywhere. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
fLRAZRBACK

2005-03-22          108582

Congrats on your new machine ! !

I just picked up my BX2230 last week and love it ! I work for the local dealer and very rarely do we see a problem with the BX line of machines. I agree with the advise of using only compact attachment. We could really use a boom pole, but the only ones I can find are made for the larger tractors. The weight of the material on the end of a 6' long pole sounds scary because I am not fond of riding wheelies ! I think we shall fire up the welder and craft a 3 footer off the same basic design. If I had a FEL perhaps it would be a different story with the added front mass. Still saving the pennies for that glorious day. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-23          108590

funchy,

Once upon a time I called to inquire about price on the Salsco unit. It's been a while, but I'd like to say it was in the neighborhood of $1200 - $1500. Don't take it as gospel though.

I was thinking about buying one because I have a constant flow of debris raining down from all the trees on my property, but I decided a weekly bonfire is much more cost effective! ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-23          108605

e-mail quote form salsco: The Model 600 is $1750.00, plus shipping.

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-23          108617

lbrown59,

I think I may wait on trailer for a little while. Need to use the machine more and assess my needs. Sure like the look of that King Kutter though. Maybe after I give the checkbook a little breather.

From the little bit of time I've spent on the machine, it sure looks like you can do a lot of work with this little machine. HST makes a huge difference using the loader. Tooth bar sure tears up the dirt, too.

P.S. I bought machine with loaded tires. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
rick5555

2005-03-23          108621

bobodude,

I did some practice / work with backhoe Saturday. I've never used one before. May take some time to become proficient, but I think I can still get some useful work done. The thing has a lot of power. I would have to say that the machine in general is not limited by power. Traction and size maybe, but not power. For my purposes, it should be great. We'll see.

Thanks to you and all others for the warm welcome. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
bx23guy

2005-03-24          108685

Where can I find a light bulb (1076) for the turn signals on my BX23? I'm told by the two local Kubota dealers that I have to change the entire fixture. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
bobodude

2005-03-30          109134

BX23Guy,
The parts manual shows a bulb for the tail light as part number K2561-62740 but in the remarks column it says "NOT SALE". I have not removed the lens on mine to check the number but it shows as a socket and bulb so I would think you could replace the bulb with the same number from an auto parts store. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
bobodude

2005-03-30          109135

Rick5555,
It took me about 15 to 20 hrs to get the nack of being able to curl the bucket, pull back the dip and boom in a somewhat cordinated manner to achieve a smooth motion. You will find you have finite hydro fluid to operate the hoe which translates into a bit slower pace if you are curling, pulling back and swinging to the side at the same time. I bought this great book on loader and bh fundamentals written by some association that has something to do with heavy equipment training. In it they suggested you get close to a source of water like a pond. Use your backhoe to dip, swing and dump water without spilling it. This technique would sharpen your skills with the bh. The book said it takes nearly 100 hrs to become proficent with a loader and bh. Well I have a few hours more to put in but I am looking forward to that. And yes, that little hoe has alot of power. I pulled up some boulders that were considerably larger than the bucket. I had to play with them a bit to get them out of the hole. Oh but what fun. ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jjfinn

2005-03-31          109167

I believe that the book bobodude has is "Operating Techniques for Tractor Loader Backhoe" written by Gary Ober. It was published in 1983. Lots of photos and illustrations and explainatory text. I got it through an interlibrary loan rather than buying a copy. However, I know that it can be purchased on-line at www.equiptrain.com/tlbbook.htm

Good luck ....

New BX23 Owner

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-31          109168

bobodude,

I don't know about the tail light, but the hazard lights use a proprietary bulb. I found this out the hard way after looking for a replacement at about a half dozen auto parts stores with no luck. I learned though, that the only difference between the Kubota bulb and a standard 1156 (single fillement) automotive bulb is the position of one of the "nubs" or side protrusions that engage the socket. Physical size, wattage, and electrical resistance are the same. So I carefully filed down the offending nub from a spare bulb I had, installed it, and it works perfectly well. Three minutes an a little effort will save you a trip to the Kubota dealer and probably a couple bucks.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login