Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-16          108087

I've decided to begin a fertilizing regiment for the lawn this year and I need a broadcast spreader. The question is: tow behind or 3PH mounted? I like the 3PH type (cone shaped) but I'm having a hard time getting my hands on one. Most are too big for the BX, and they're expensive. The tow behinds are less than half the price, but most I've seen are very flimsy looking. My property is very hilly and irregularly shaped with plenty of obstacles. Is a 3PH spreader overkill for only a couple acres? Is it worth the extra $$$? Which one is easier to use on hills and tight areas? Any advice would be great.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-16          108089

We've got a tow behind that works ok long as you make sure you shut off the spreader durning turn arounds or slow downs, but it's hard to reach, otherwise it doesn't spread wide enough and leaves streaks. Perhaps a 3pt. would have an easier way to turn the outlet gate on and off during turns and slow downs. Frank. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-16          108103

For your size property, get yourself some exersize and buy a manual push-type broadcast spreader, you will have ultimate control on what gets fertilized and it won't take you more than a couple of hours to do the lot. Plus they are a lot cheaper (about $40) and you wont put any hours on the tractor. I do about 1.6 acre like that every year. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
44trxfun

2005-03-18          108223

I just saw a brochure for this yesterday at TSC. ....

Link:   KK XB spreader

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-18          108226

I'm familiar with the mini-spreader from King Kutter. It's a decent unit and just the right size. It's also priced lower than all the other 3PH mounted units I've seen to date. The trouble is there are two TSC stores within a reasonable distance and neither has any stock nor does the warehouse. It could be over a month before I'd see one. Same story from a half dozen tractor dealers in my area on higher priced (and larger) units. That kinda sucks considering I wanted to get going two weeks ago! It really surprised me that no one has any stock because now is the time people are starting to put down pre-emergents. Actually I resolved the problem yesterday when I finally found a decently built tow-behind unit. It has nearly the same capacity as the KK mini at about $200 less. The only drawback is I won't be able to open and close the chute without getting off the tractor, and we all know that isn't going to happen every time I need to turn around! My plan is to fertilize more often at a lower rate to avoid overloading the soil. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
beagle

2005-03-18          108228

I've been looking at spreaders also. The advantage of a tow behind is when you come to a stop, you stop spreading. You need to clutch with the 3-pt to stop the pto, or reach behind you and close the chute.

Worksaver makes an electric compact 3-point spreader that somewhat solves this problem. It's small size makes it compatable with compacts and sub-compact tractors, but also allows you the control of the electric spreader motor. Some TSC's do stock this Worksaver model.

I'm probably getting a tow behind. ( $'s) ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-26          108823

I just picked up a HUGE Eurostrand 3 pt spreader and put it on my bx2200. This is the cat's meow! It's very simple to reach behind to close the chute. I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can spread my lime pellets!

Don't forget you can seed with these, spread salt and sand and other stuff like feed. I picked mine up brand spanking new for 280. The guy I got it from bought it in a package deal with other stuff and he didn't need it. If you buy one be sure to get the optional agitator or you will be adgitated! ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
beagle

2005-03-27          108889

I checked out the KK 250lb Mini-Spreader this weekend at TSC. $2 less than the 500lb model, and nowhere to be found. Not sure this is good marketing. The 200lb tow behind is $200 less than the Mini-Spreader.

I also saw the brochure for KK new hydraulic dump wagon. Also over-priced at $1750, although cute (IMHO). We bought a two ton dump wagon last year for about $1200 including the hydraulics we added. KK seems to be overpricing their XB implements because of the demand. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-03-27          108895

Have any of you tried the electric spreaders that fit into a receiver hitch. It seems to me that this would be great because on/off is as easy as trowing a toggle switch. Plus it would be easy to hook-up and take off. For just a few acres, I don't need a 500 lb. spreader. We use a field spreader from the fertilzer company when the pastures get done...just need something for about 4 acres to use with my 4410...have a nice pull behind but can't reach the on/off lever from the seat. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-27          108899

The KK stuff is very over priced. I was at TSC this weekend. the big 5' standard blade was CHEAPER than the skimpy 4' xb box blade. Same thing for the grader blades. They are the only one making cat01 stuff with a cat0 spread for the subs.

I picked up a new but "left outside" too long xb 4' box blade for 275 from a local place. I still think a 5' for a bx is too big. Just looking at it full of dirt it probably weighs as much as my bx2200.

The spreader I got is a full size one and it is great. I would just buy a full size cat1 spreader and not the little xb one. ....

BX Broadcast Spreader

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-28          108905

Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. I have to agree KK implements seem to be pricy for their size, but then again, its a matter of supply and demand! You're paying for the "proper fit" not just sheer size. So far I'm happy with the tow behind spreader, not to mention the extra $200 in my pocket. Now if it would only stop raining!

I still think subcut implements are the way to go. I have a full sized 5' rear blade and 30" dirt scoop (cheap alternative to an FEL). The rear blade works fine, but the lift pins on the dirt scoop are almost too far apart. I have to spread the lift arms ALL the way out to mount it. Then I have to limit the lift height to avoid contact between the 3PH subframe and the lift arms. I wish I had gone with the 24" unit. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login