Go Bottom Go Bottom

need opinions on bx cutting decks

View my Photos
cthonestguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-13          107906

I am ready to go buy a deck for my bx2200. What is the general opinion on the 54" vs. the 60" deck?

I currently cut with a 52" scag hydro with a velke and it takes me 20 minutes to cut my acre of grass. I know the Kubota will take longer but it would be nice to sit down and relax. I don't need pros and cons of the kubota vs. the scag because it's night and day.

do the 54 and 60 cut equally well? is there enough hp for the 60 with tall grass? how are they for groun clearance with light loader work?

any opinions are appreciated. The difference in price is not enough to make me go 54. I have plenty of room to fit the 60 but need my mind refreshed incase there are any other benefits of a smaller deck over the larger one especially if it cuts better.

Thanks...Jim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JOHN THOMAS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-13          107925

I had the 60" on my BX2200. It has more than enough hp for tall grass. It raised high enough to work with fel unless you get in rough ground but don't think that part would be any different with a 54". I have not had both sizes on my BX2200 but do have the 54" on my BX1500. If money is not a factor I would get the 60" for the BX2200 just for saving time. ....

View my Photos
BigJimB

2005-03-14          107986

I have the 60" mmm on my BX2230 and I think the extra with helps mow closer to trees, buildings etc without getting the wheels so close. It is also better when mowing under bushes etc with the wider deck sticking out from the wheels and the tractor.
I have no problem with the way my 60 deck mows, I have mowed wet grass higher then the front wheels and had no problem ( not that it looked like a lawn, but it cut everything) Dry grass mowed every week will look great.
60" can be tight getting between some trees etc, but I had a 42" before this so I had to adjust ( I took out the tree) ....

View my Photos
funchy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-14          107989

I have a 60" MM on my bx23, and I think it's enough horsepower. I've never been able to stall the tractor and I'm the kind of dummy who lets grass grow too tall and then tries to mow it while it's damp.

Clearance underneath isn't a problem unless you're driving over lots of stumps/rocks/holes, and then it's just a matter of driving slower & going around the really big obstacles. The only time the deck was in the way was when I was using the bx23 to clear forest. ....

View my Photos
moweraxle

2005-03-20          108391

I have the 60" deck and it is the best mowing deck I have ever owned. Both the 54" & 60" wear out the plastic wheels vary fast. You may think about going to Mower Deck Axle banner and check out the anti-scalp wheel upgrade that has bronze bushings and grease fittings. www.moweraxle.com

Link:   

Click Here

Picture Link
Kubota Tractors need opinions on bx cutting decks

View my Photos
jamese

2005-03-20          108403

a lot depends on how your land lays,,as in do you have a lot of dips? a lot of uneven ground,,etc,,wider for flat seems to be a good thought ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-03-20          108412

The BX deck is suspended from the tractor and the wheels are not to run on the ground but to be roughly 1/2 inch off the ground. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-20          108415

If the wheels are on the ground you are definitly cutting way too low. They are just to keep it from scalping, not ment to roll all the time. Kind of like the front wheel on my 52 scag. My Great Dane Zero turn also has side wheels and they never touch the ground other than on a of canter slope or mound. ....

View my Photos
Kendews

2005-03-22          108511

I love my BX23 and generally spend as much time in the seat as I can, however I've resisted replacing my walk behind mower with a mowing deck. I figure every time I mow my lawn I'm getting in a good walk. Since you already have a great mower and it only takes you twenty minutes, I'd say you should walk behind the mower, save some money and add a few years to your life. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-22          108513

Hey - are you looking in my windows at night? You must have seen I am suffering from a mild case of OHS (over hang stomach)!

You are probably right, nothing beats a good walk. The 20 minutes is with my 2 wheel velke. I need to bring the velke to the dump and start walking. I have too much stuff to mow with and plow with it's almost silly. I have 2 bobcat mowers, a 52 great dane rider, a 52 scag, nice wheel horse 414-8 about 4 snow blowers, a snow thrower on my wheel horse, 7 1/2 new boss plow on my chevy and then some. Pretty much all of these except the walk behind snow throwers are more of a workout for the seat of my pannt than my ticker! ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-03-22          108543

60 "

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login