Go Bottom Go Bottom

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cityguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-26          104989

Greetings, All,

I have a BX1500 being delivered Friday, with the 54-in. deck and a third-party 4-ft. rear blade. This will be my 1st real tractor, after years of getting beat to death mowing my 0.9 acre, rough lawn with a Craftsman 15 hp. Any advice, suggestions, caveats? (I'll read the manual -- probably several times!)

Guess I better get an orange cap...

Cityguy

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-26          105001

Just thinking of winter use and the cold we have been having did you get a block heater? Your going to have a lot of fun! ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          105007

You will have fun for sure. Be sure to follow all the service procedures. The 50 hours service is easy to do yourself and very important. Lots of good links on this site. The book is ok at best but this site will give you all the info you need. Lots of smart Kubota guys here. Join, it's the best 20 bucks you will ever spend! ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-01-26          105011

Congrats on the purchase! I don't care if your tractor is orange, green, blue, red, etc., when you get your first one and start using it, it will be lots of fun. There will probably be a permanent smile on your face for a few days. Enjoy it...I even took mine to get the mail down our 1/4 mile driveway a few times after I first got it. Somehow, I still have to smile when I start it up after I haven't driven it for a while. Kind of crazy I know... ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          105012

You have to get a trailer too. I've had tractors since I was a kid but it's nice to put your Kubota on a trailer and drive around town. It drives the chicks wild around here! Make sure you armor all the tires first! Take care of that thing and it will last a lifetime. Lots of old Kubotas still running strong out there. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-27          105025

As Art said a Block heater is a good add if you will be storing your tractor in a detached building. If your garage is attached like mine is and insulated, I have found that it is too warm in there to need one, mine maybe atypical as I have a heated room above it and the masonry chimney for my furnace on the back wall. If water does not freeze in yours I would say you are OK without the heater.

If you think you will change storage locations during ownership get the heater now. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cityguy

2005-01-27          105029

Thanks to all who have replied. I was reading previous posts about block heaters, and, yes, that seems like a good idea. In late developments, the dealer called to say they would like to deliver today (Thursday), because the delivery guy is taking Friday off. I agreed, trying not to seem too eager.

I'm also inclined to spend a $20 for premium priveleges on this site, which seems to have a wealth of informed users.

On heaters, I read that magnetic models work on the BX1500. Still true?

Thanks again, All, for the encouragement and info. I'll be around. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-27          105030

Yes a mag heater will work, but, the $20 for the block heater is cheap and will work much better.

Go for the block heater. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
mbking22

2005-01-27          105033

I had the biggest Craftsman mower they made at the time, a 22.5 horse. Mowed my 3 acres fairly fast, but as I got older I'd walk at a 90 degree angle for a while after finishing. It just beat my back to death.My wife finally took pity & let me get a used bx2200 w/fel, bb, rfm, and rotary mower (7 acres pasture). NO COMPARISON! Plenty of power, does so much for me! You'll love your 1500! ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
havoctec

2005-01-27          105045

Is it there yet? If so I'm sure your driving it around!! Let us know how it goes.

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-01-27          105046

Re: a block heater
Are they generic or do I have to go to the dealer for one?
David ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-27          105048

The one on my tractor replaced a threaded plug in the block. Came directly from Kubota. (Dealer threw it in as part of the deal.)

Call and ask your dealer, maybe they can put it in before delivery. (10 minute job.) ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
bobkro32

2005-01-27          105051

I have been looking at CUTs with the local Kubota dealer, but primarily at a BX2230 and a BX1830. I had not considered a BX1500.

I'm wondering if the 1500 is enough of a tractor for my needs. I would use the tractor for mowing (1/2 acre finish cut one time/week; 1 acre rough cut one time/month), add an FEL for light homeowner use, and occaisionally pull lightweight trailer with a 1500 pound load. I don't think I'd put more than 5 hours a week on it, and usually fewer than 2.

Is the BX1500 enough of a tractor to meet those needs, or do I need to kick it up a notch?

Any advice would be welcomed.

b

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
dklopfenstein

2005-01-27          105054

I would say that considering what you have said, the 1500 would do a fine job...everything would just take a few minutes longer than with a slightly larger tractor. Now if you are pushing snow, grading driveways, or tilling, a bigger tractor with more hp and weight may be advised...but even then the 1500 would probably do it...just a little slower. Good luck. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cityguy

2005-01-27          105088

It came today, all shiny and new. with 0.7 hours on it. It was cold (mid-teens), but I suited up and drove it over to my brother's house (1/4 mile away, same 'hood), and showed it off. I barely know how to drive it, much less operate it, but I'll keep at it. I can't believe how much heavy steel it has in it; makes the Craftsman look like a cardboard and plastic toy. Now I understand why it weighs 1200+ lbs.

It's cool. No doubt about it. A lot to learn but definitely cool. And I'm looking for a block heater this weekend.

cg

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-01-27          105100

Try the dealer for the OEM Kubota unit. Not expensive and will fit in the block, not the lower hose. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cityguy

2005-01-28          105108

AV8R (that would make a great Ham radio callsign, btw), thanks for the tip. I'll call them.

cg ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-01-28          105109

cityguy,

You will love your BX1500! I certainly do mine. It's perfect for the tasks you decribed.

bobkro32,

The 1500 is plenty for your needs. The major differences between the 1500 and the 1830/2230 are:
1. 3-cylinder engines
2. more horsepower/torque
3. 2.3" longer wheelbase (to accomodate the 3-cyl engines)
4. slightly bigger tires
5. ~1" higher ground clearance (due to bigger tires)
6. 60"MMM offered (54" for the 1500)
7. Cruise control
8. Fuel gauge
9. 1.5 gal additional fuel tank capacity

There may be some other differences. Art?

A few things to consider:
1. The 1830 has an older engine design while the 1500 and 2230 have newer model engines. Not necessarily a bad thing. Just another difference between models.
2. The 2230 has about 1-1/2 times more PTO hp than the 1500, but the 1500's smaller tires put a higher percentage of engine power to the ground due to a shorter moment arm. This effectively reduces the power deficit somewhat.
3. There is no appreciable difference in weight between the 1500/1830/2230 models, so the amount of work each can do will be limited to traction vs. engine power in many cases.

IMHO the 2230 (along with similar models from other manufacturers) is overpowered for it's physical size and weight. Other's will differ in opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love horsepower as much as the next guy! It's a VERY capable machine, but it'll make you think that it can do more than it was really designed to do. I have never run out of power with my 1500. It'll mow tall wet grass, push heavy snow uphill, and tow a loaded trailer with ease. I'd say save $1000 and go with the 1500, or step up to a B-series machine if you want more umph. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
cityguy

2005-01-29          105202

Hey All,

Just finished breaking 2.0 hours on the new BX1500, and all who said I'd love it are right. I used the rear blade to push some snow around, and once I tried 4WD, it was a breeze. I'm endlessly impressed with how strong and sturdy a machine it is. It is only marginally bigger than my Craftsman lawn tractor, but in a whole different class in terms of durability and performance. I never thought I'd look forward to mowing season (other than to have winter over with), but now I think I might feel differently. Now, I just have to save my pennies for the loader..

cg ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
coveredbridge

2005-03-05          107337

As one who just shopped and bought a bx1500 today, there are a couple other considerations when comparing the 1500 to the 1830/2230.

Operator comfort. If you're a big guy, like me, you are definitely going to be more comfortable on the 1830/2230. There is just more room on the 1830/2230. Also the 1830/2230 has cruise control, which may sound like a luxury item, but I'm wondering if I'm going to wish I had it after an hour or so with my foot on that fwd pedal.

If I could have gotten a 48" MMM on the 1830/2230, I would have definitely considered it over the 1500, but there's no way I could get the 54" MMM through my storage shed door, and it wasn't worth a building project (I hope).

Let us know what you decide. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
Rfogle1

2005-03-06          107369

Congratulations on your new BX1500. I bought one last May and am still wondering how I got along w/o one for so long.
I now have almost 130 hours on it and can offer some "first time user help". If you got a front end loader, get the tires loaded. I live in northern Michigan - it's been down to -25 here this winter and the little BX has yet to fail starting w/o a block heater in an unheated building. Just be patient and let the glow plugs do their thing. After the first couple times I used it, the strap holding the air cleaner assembly broke. This happens quite frequently on new BXs but it is operator error - don't lug the engine! Be religious with the 50 hour service.

You'll end up trying to invent things to do with that little wonder. Enjoy it! ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-07          107443

coveredbridge,

As far as I know (and I'm not 100% sure), all the BX-series machines are built with the same operator platform, including the 1500. I don't know where the extra room you're talking about is coming from. The only difference between models I know of regarding space or comfort is a different seat (lower back w/o armrests). The extra length of the 1830/2230 is all under the hood to make room for the extra cylinder in the engine. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
coveredbridge

2005-03-07          107451

Well, it could have been the seat. Maybe the one on the 1830/2230 slides back further, or maybe we didn't have the seat on the 1500 back as far as it would go, but it sure seemed like I had more (not a lot mind you) legroom on the 1830. The seat seemed to fit me better also, which gave the feeling of having more room, perhaps due to the higher back.

BTW, I called the dealer this am, and asked him to change out the turf tires for bar treads and install a block heater. Delivery is scheduled for 3/19. It'll take that long to get the junk (including the CC 107) out of the storage barn that the 1500 is going in. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
coveredbridge

2005-03-07          107482

jarndt,

I was checking out your pics. How did you dig the holes for your trees? I'd like to plant about 20 White Spruce for a privacy screen. From your pics, I already know how I'm going to transport and backfill them. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-08          107510

Creative use of a the rear blade.

I tilted the blade as far as possible by adjusting the lifting rods on the 3PH. The blade was also set at an angle. The combination allowed me to rip the ground open using only the corner of the blade. After about a dozen "scratches" I cleaned the hole out with a shovel and presto, a perfect hole with minimum hand work. Not as clean as a post hole digger, but it worked well. BTW, a special "short" post hole digger is available for the BX if you anticipate digging a lot of holes. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-03-08          107511

coveredbridge,

BTW, I cheated some extra flexibility into the 3PH on my BX1500 by replacing the fixed length lifting rod with an adjustable rod (same as the RH lifting rod). You can make it out in some of my pics. I can adjust one up and the other down for extra tilt, and I can adjust them both all the way up to get extra lift. Just watch out for interference with the PTO guard and be careful not to bend your top link. ....

BX1500 coming Friday

View my Photos
apollo

2005-03-16          108085

I have had my bx1500 since sept of 2004 approx.

I have used it to blow snow with the front mount snowblower (definitly a good buy over a rear mount) cut grass with the 54" deck, and move ground with the FEL.

I have never run out of power. When blowing snow the blower will eat the shear pin before it runs out of power. The 1500 is all the tractor you should ever need.

Where a 1830/2230 comes in handy is when using the FEL as they are slightly longer with bigger tires giving you a little more ground clearance in the woods. Any serious woods work needs another step above the bx series though.

Have fun with your purchase. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login