Go Bottom Go Bottom

Starting BX in Real Cold Weather

View my Photos
stemmler1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-24          104834

What is the best way to start my BX1800 in 0 degree temp. I have tried covering the tractor with plastic and putting a space heated under the cover for a few hours with no results. It does not seem to be getting fuel. I keep my tractor in a pole barn so I am somewhat limited in what I can do. Someone mentioned this weekend that the fuel filter freezes and all I would have to do is get a hair dryer and direct it on the filter for a few minutes. Does this make sense to anyone.
Thanks for your help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-24          104836

If you aren't getting fuel, the filter is probably gelled. I would recomend a bottle of Power Service Fuel treatment in the red bottle. Follow the directions on the bottle to remove the gell from the filter and anywhere else it may have formed in your fuel system. I believe the gel needs to be disolved, not thawed, but am interested in hearing if anyone has had success with the hair drier trick.

Make sure you treat you fuel as soon as you purchase it. Most over-the-road fules are treated, but for tractors sitting in cold barns for extended periods without running, you could use the extra protection. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-24          104839

We use the hair dryer trick, sort of ......

When we have to park machines on 'remote sites' such as the industrial condos we maintain and there is no indoor storage space, we use those 'portable garage' structures. In a lot of cases there isn't even electricity available.

When we need to start the machines in very cold weather we simply put two propane heaters inside the tent with the machine. One is a big 'salamander' style tube heater, 100,000 BTU minimum. The other is a little 5,000 BTU radiant like you might use camping or ice fishing. The small radiant goes under the front of the machine and warms it like parking it in the sunshine would. The big heater warms everything else.

About an hour like that will raise the temp. of the tractor quite a bit. Two plus hours and it will start at any outside temperature.

You could do the same thing inside the pole barn, just make a tent by tieing ropes to the beams and hanging a tarp in a box-shape around the machine.

BTW, if you can find them, either a really heavy old canvas tarp, or a rubberized transport truck load tarp work far better than the 'modern' poly tarps at this.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-24          104845

Murf, what I was curious about was the concept of clearing a gelled fuel filter by heating it with a hair drier. Any experience with this working? ....

View my Photos
Doc Kubota

2005-01-24          104846

Beagle, that trick has never worked for me or any of the other guys in our shop that work on the 100+ hp farm tractors. We had a gelled B7510 that was in a crate, the filter was plugged solid, the filter was removed and I put it in a bag and set it on my tool box. A week later the gell was still there in the same form it was in the tractor. I have used your treatment that you recommended, it's called Diesel 911 and it works great. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-24          104852

That engine should be starting at that temp without a block heater. You must be having a problem in one area or another. Does it smoke while cranking at all? ....

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-24          104854

Something I used the other day on my dump truck because my block heater didn't have an end on it, was a magnetic electric block heater. You stick it to the base pan and it heats the oil and the oil heats the rest of the engine, it seemed to work fast. Heat rises so it mounts in the right place. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-25          104872

It didn't sound right, but every day is journey. I have used the Power Service with good success.

Magnetic block heaters are great, except most of these oil pans are alluminum. You need to get a little creative to get them to mount to the pan. They also will not stop the gelling problem in the fuel. You need to have the additive in the fuel to keep the parafins from gelling up. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-25          104878

Based on my experience, warming a gelled filter with a hair dryer is sort of like pushing a rope, it can be done if you have enough time and patience and under the right conditions.

The problem is that a hair dryer is warm air, outdoors in a breeze the net benefit is slim to none. Radiant heat, such as from a heat lamp which is unaffected by things like a breeze are better choice. You could in theory do it, but I suspect you'd be there a while to accomplish that task.

There is a lot of mis-information about fuel gelling.

In fact 'gelling' is a misnomer, it is actually called "cloud point" and it is not anything mystical. There is parafin wax in diesel fuel, if the tempurature drops below the point where the parafin wax solidifies wax crystals form and the fuel becomes a semi-solid mush.

However, just like any other form of parafin, it not only has a point below which it becomes a solid, it also has a point (about 1° C. higher) at which it becomes a LIQUID again. 'Gelling' is NOT a permanent change of a state.

The only way a 'gelled' filter would still be a solid after a week sitting on a tool box was if the temperature in the shop was below the cloud point, for untreated 2D fuel that is about the freezing point. I'd be asking the boss to turn the thermostat up a little bit or the wrenches will freeze to your hands. LOL. I suspect that the filter may have been clogged with something other than parafin wax crystals.

Anti-gell additives are basically just chemicals which have the ability to lower the temperature at which parafin crystals start to form. It does not remove the wax.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-25          104879

Doc, you said you had a B7510 that was in acrate with a clogged filter.

I am guessing you mean a new unit being shipped in.

How is it had fuel in it, they are shipped dry, as required by law for safety reasons. They only get fuel added when they are assembled.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-25          104922

The BX has a steel pan so a magnetic heater will work wonders.

Back to some basics...

Are you holding the glow plug light on long enough or too long? The preheat function , according to the manual on my lap right now, says hold the key in the preheat position for 2-3 seconds over 32f, 32-23F 5 seconds and 23-5F 10 seconds.

I guess Kubota is telling us under 5 it's tougher!

I have a bx2200 and it was -2F the other day. It took a few shots at it but it started. The book instructs you to get the optional heater for starts below 5F.

When you try to start it follow the preheat steps and then wait a few seconds and do it again. It used to take me several attempts to start my machine then I got a magnetic block heater which made it like night and day. Before the heater, I almost had to hold the key in the start position a little lonmger than I would want to to keep it running. If it's "poping" and shutting off it's not a fuel problem, it's just cold. Follow the process a few more times and eventually it will start. Once it does, about 1/4 throttle and don't move it for at least 15 minutes.

We finally decided to plug in out fleet for freightliners at work- they start like it's a 70 degree day with the heaters. That's what sold me on spending a couple days lunch$$ on a magnetic heater. The bx2200 has a steel pan and I'm pretty sure the 1800 does too.

View my Photos
stemmler1

2005-01-26          104961

Thanks for all your imput! It has been 0 to -2 here in Connecticut the past few nights. I tried the hair dryer on the fuel filter for approx: ten minutes and it did work. The tractor started right up. Last weekend I spend 3 hours trying to get it started. I did put in some Power Service fuel treatment so hopefully it should help also.
Nice little tractor... but no good to anyone if it does not start after it snow 15 inches.
Thanks again ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-01-26          104964

My JD 4300 has two heaters. One engine block heater with no thermostat situated in the side of the engine, the element is exposed to the engine coolant and is rated at 400 Watts . A second element in the hydrostatic fluid return, again no thermostat and it's a 150 W element. I was suprised at the amount of heat JD wants to supply on a continual basis, they recomend plugging it in and leaving it. At 12 c/kWh delivered that's $47.50 a month to keep the tractor warm! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-26          104966

We find that small CUT's start exactly the same whether they have been plugged in for just 4 hours or for 4 months.

We do not leave them plugged in constantly unless we absolutely have to, if they are calling for snow we plug them just a few hours ahead of the storm.

BTW, as an aside, we have also found that in a pinch, the exhaust of a FORD PSD will warm a frozen machine in an hour or two if it's not too windy or the machine is tarped.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          104994

stemmler1 , I'm here in cold CT too. Where did you get the power service? I've been looking around for it with no luck...Jim (bethany)

P.S...you ain't kidding about the cold!
P.S.S....Murf is right, don't waste the electricity if you get a block heater, 4 hours is a good time to get them hot or the "night before the big storm" ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2005-01-26          104996

Walmart has the full Power Service product line ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          105009

I ran out to wally world and bought some. I guess my gut is getting too big. It was on the bottom shelf and I have seen it there for years and never got close enough. I bought some. It says 32 oz to 100 gallons. Is it safe to say 1.5 oz's to a 5 gallon jug? Who uses what amount? I don't want to over do it but an oz and 1/2 doesn't seem like it would have much of an effect- must be real good stuff...Jim

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-26          105015

For me, I am not sure if it is the gut or the bi-focals....

Double it and round that up to the next whole number. I am sure there is a limit but I haven't found it yet. It just starts and runs better and quieter as the mixture goes up.

More Cetane is a GOOD THING. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-26          105019

Thanks...I was just floating around and saw there is more life out there other than the Kubota section. I read some great posts about this stuff. I will go with 3 ozs for the 5 gallons. It's been COLD out here and I figure anything can help. Looks like most guys are 2-3 ozs for a 5 gallon jug. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-01-27          105074

All the tractors we get in have fuel in them. Even the3 ones in the crate. The only thing that we get in that is dry are our small gas run equipment. Lawn mowers and such. ....

View my Photos
offtrack

2005-01-28          105149

I also live in Northern Ct with a bx22, and have been using using the tractor from a subzero cold start fairly regularly. I use the block heater when I remmeber to plug it in. I have a 26'X 28' agriculture hoop structure as a barn. I also use a 55,000 btu forced air diesel/kerosene heater to warm things up if necessary. I have never had trouble with cold starting it yet and I have over a 110 hours on it. I always use premium winter diesel(40%kerosene/and #1 diesel), with high grade antigel and cetane boost additive. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-28          105152

dumb question but where do you get the fuel? Is this what they put in at the pump or do you mix your own? ....

View my Photos
grinder

2005-01-29          105153

Any comments on using straight K-1 ? ....

View my Photos
offtrack

2005-01-31          105344

There is a local oil company who sells the premium winter mix (40% kero and 60% #1) and in addition to it I add the diesel additive. State Line Oil.I paid 2.33 per gallon delivered in Sept. The additive is probably not necessary but I know it would only help and not hurt. These tractors use so little fuel that I believe in using the best possible mix available. Sometimes you can go broke saving money. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-02-01          105388

Grinder! We have had notices to NOT use straight K as it has no lubricating qualities for the injection pumps and some injection pumps only use the fuel for lubrication! If it was for a very short run only in urgent need to run would I recommend K straight. ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-02          105410

Murf is correct on several counts. I once started a railroad diesel that had been shut down on a siding rather than being shut down in the shop (normally these things run all winter, but this was a special case). We opened the side access doors to the engine bay and ran gasoline heaters (salamanders) with flex hoses blowing hot air on the engine. Worked perfectly. It started after just a couple of hours of warming.

Gelling is not permanent. Take my word for this as I am a chemist. Those are crystals of paraffin and they will eventually melt. I once neglected the anti-gel additive and let a VW diesel gel up. It took a week or so for temperatures to get up to the point that the gel dissolved in the filter and the fuel lines and the tank and the car started. The other alternative would have been to tow it to a heated garage.

The Power Spec anti-gel additive (Wal-Mart) works perfectly for me in my L3010. The tractor fired instantly (after the glow plugs warmed up) at 2 degrees below zero. That was our coldest day here this winter. ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-02          105420

You can create a gelling demonstration in your own refrigerator if you want. Put some olive oil in a glass jar and stick it in the refrig. Eventually it gets cloudy as the first tiny crystals form and and then it gells completely. Put it back out on the counter and in an hour or two you have olive oil again. It's exactly the same principal as diesel fuel. These are not permanent changes to the fuel, just freezing and thawing. ....

View my Photos
AVANCE

2005-02-03          105435

I've been enjoying the replys to this subject and must ask, "why not change the fuel filter"??? You will have removed one important variable that may be the only problem you face in starting the BX. The fuel additive is a must in cold weather. Ideally, it should be in the fuel prior to fueling the tractor to insure it reaches ALL of the fuel system. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-02-03          105441

Paladin, now that we have a chemist involved, I have always doubled the recommended 1.5oz/5gal when I treat my fuel because cetane is a good thing. I have some organic chemistry in my background, but between me and my two engineering student sons, couldn't come up with a cetane hydrocarbon chain. Could you just give us the basics of the chain and how the prefix 'ce' applies. Thanks ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-02-03          105443

Avance, I think you missed the root of the problem, when the temperature drops below the cloud point for the diesel in a tractor, the paraffin wax crystals in the diesel turn from a liquid to a solid. All of the diesel in the entire system (presuming it is all at the same temperature) is affected, not just the filter. Changing the filter when the fuel has gelled will do nothing to solve the problem.

Beagle, have a read through the link below, I think it will answer many of your questions.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Diesel fuel specifications.

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-03          105444

OK - Here goes. Keep in mind that I had to go down to the basement to consult the books, which are now growing moldy from lack of use. Anyway, I spent my last 15 years in the industry in the soap and detergent end so I am not the world's biggest expert on fuel chemistry.

"Cetane" is one of the old names that go back before the IUPAC standard chemical nomenclature was put into use (1930's?). An awful lot of the old names are still in use, though. I can think of lots more of these - in the industry everybody says "Amyl Alcohol" and nobody says "Pentyl Alcohol".

The correct IUPAC name for Cetene is n-Hexadecane. It is a straight chain hydrocarbon (also called a "paraffin" - more old time nomenclature) with 16 carbons in it. In other words, Hexa means 6 and deca means 10 so you have hexadecane or 16 carbons. It is a liquid at room temperature.

The Cetane Rating compares the ability of the fuel to ignite under temperature and pressure (diesel engine conditions) in comparison to pure Cetane - which I guess is defined by the industry as the "perfect" fuel. Now, the additives are likely NOT cetane. They are other chemicals, possibly containing oxygen in their structure, that ignite and burn easily. It would appear that there could be too much of a good thing, in other words if you dosed your diesel fuel heavily with gasoline you would get a heck of a high cetane rating but you might blow the head off, too. Probably the same applies with additives.

In addition, as we know, the diesel fuel is classified by viscosity (thickness, pour point) as #1, #2, or #4. The number of BTU's that can be packed into a gallon of fuel goes down as the the diesel number goes down - this cannot be helped.

So, what you use is the highest number diesel fuel that will work under the prevailing weather conditions (forget #4 as it is not intended for mobile equipment). For most of us this is #2. Boosting the cetane rating a little with additives works for me, especially since the refiners probably just barely hit the minimum cetane required to meet spec and ship the fuel. However, there is too much of a good thing and I would not use more additive than the additive manufacturer recommended.

In extreme cold conditions Volkswagen once recommended a 10% gasoline 90% diesel mix as a backup to 10% kero 90% diesel assuming kerosene was not available in your area. On the other hand, my VW diesel went to the junkyard due to burnt valve seats and a cracked head even though I did not usually put any additives in the fuel at all - I just used what came from the pump. So there is a potential downside to putting too much volatile stuff in the fuel. ....

View my Photos
jtfirth

2005-02-03          105445

This topic has been very enlightening, especially for diesel "newbies" such as me. It's discussions such as this that make this discussion board so valuable. Thanks to all and particularly Paladin for his "in-depth" explanation. I'm sure we'll all benefit from it. ....

View my Photos
AVANCE

2005-02-03          105456

I understand gelling throughout the fuel system is the problem with the engine not starting in cold weather. I was just trying to point out there might be a better way to deal with a "gelled fuel filter" than a hair dryer. Also, a novice should be careful when using 100,000 btu propane heaters. Accidentally catching the tarp on fire via overheating would make a gelled fuel system seem, now, a rather minor problem. I use a mixture of #1 and #2 fuel oils throughout the winter months to avoid this hassle. I can't afford NOT to have my tractors start whatever the weather!!! ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-02-04          105482

Thanks, hexadecane was the piece of information we were missing. Couldn't figure out how to chain the 'ce'tane. You've been a huge help, we have discussed this standing around the tractor several times as I add the additive. I'll share this with the boys. One more question, and maybe I could look it up, but since you did the research, what is the significance of the 'n-' in front of the chain description? My boys are sure to ask.

Thnaks again for the help. ....

View my Photos
chevytruck13

2005-02-04          105488

First I must say I am always amused when New Englanders think 0 degrees is cold. You really have to come to North Dakota or Minnesota and experience -30 or -40 degrees. That is cold. That said I can only recall a couple of times that any of the farmers in my family used Kerosene in any of thier diesel tractors. I believe the cloud point of straight #1 Diesel is around -40 deg. F. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I would say if you ran a good 50-50 winter blend you should be fine down to -20 deg. F. I am running #2 with PS additive in mine and it starts at 10 above just great with the glow plugs. I should have a blend but we haven't had any snow so my jug is still half full. ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-04          105503

The "n" in n-hexadecane means "normal", or, that it is a straight chain molecule. That is, all the carbons are in a straight row. Compounds of this type are also called "paraffins".

Here it is: C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C

Now, if you get the little molecular model kits that the kids buy in college for freshmen chamistry, the thing really looks more like a zig-zag than a straight chain but the straight chain helps us visualize it in our minds.

You can actually draw all sorts of branched combinations like C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C
I
C-C-C-C-C-C-C-C

You could refer to any of them as hexadecane. The straight chain molecule will always have the highest freezing and boiling point.

View my Photos
ejkessler

2005-02-04          105513

I have come to appreciate that there are many regional differences between what is considered #1 and #2 diesel. My understanding is that #1 diesel here in New England includes kerosene in it. I may be mistaken. I live in northern CT as well and we have been getting 10 to 25 below for a few weeks out of the winter as well. I have not yet had trouble starting my BX keeping quality on road fuel in it. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-02-04          105516

Checking with local customers the BX1500's seem to need to be plugged in when the temp drops below 15 degrees. The other model BX's seem to be ok down to zero. Block heaters would should be used any way when cold just to make it easier on the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-04          105519

It's not correct to say that #1 diesel "has kerosene in it". We are getting very confused here on nomenclature. #1 diesel is simply a mixture of refinery chemicals that meets certain ASTM specs - volatility, viscosity, pour point, BTU yield, etc. As long as it meets the spec it could be 100% lizard blood. What's in it makes no difference as long as it meets the spec. Kerosene is another spec product, as is #2 diesel and as is gasoline.

Every refinery is different in terms of the equipment installed and the condition it is in and every refinery must be run to suit the incoming crude. First, you vacuum distill the crude. The problem is that you generally never get enough lighter fractions for use in gasoline and other fuels just by straight distillation of the crude oil. You get too much heavy stuff, and nobody needs that much lubricating oil. Therefore there are a number of different chemical processes that you put the heavy stuff through to "crack" it and make it into lighter fractions. These fractions - whether from vacuum distillation or chemical refining - have refinery names like "naptha" and "straight run gasoline" and "light gas oil" and "heavy gas oil" and "light alkylate" and so on. These are the fractions that are blended together at the refinery to make kerosene or #1 diesel or #2 diesel to ship to customers. The blend can shift from day to day depending on where the latest shipload of crude came from and it can be a very different blend from a refinery that runs heavy Venezuelan crude versus one that runs sweet Nigerian crude. Remember - as long as it meets spec it gets shipped.

In the summer you run flat out for gasoline and you still generate more diesel than you need. You can afford to meet spec on diesel with room to spare. In the winter you run for heating oil/diesel and you can sell all the diesel you can make even if it just makes spec by a whisker. Gasoline prices generally fall in the winter since you have more than need.

It gets even more complicated. Rather than blend the naptha into gasoline, or kerosene or diesel you might build a plastics plant and go from naptha to polyethylene milk jugs. Or, you swap your gas oil to the refinery next door for their naptha. All this bears on what you have available to blend.

Bottom line: #2 diesel fuel will vary from refinery to refinery as well as with the season and the current source of crude. If you find a supplier that you like, stick with them.

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-02-07          105624

Art,

Just to add more confusion to the mix... My BX starts fine down to near zero temps with being plugged in. However, it does crank a bit slower. BTW, I run Mobil-1 full synthetic 10W30 and I let the glow plugs go for close to 30sec when it is that cold. Thankfully, the temps don't go that low very often or for very long here in N.Va. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-02-07          105640

Maybe Art White can verify this for us but I believe that once you hold the switch on a BX for 10 seconds it resets. In other words, holding it for 30 seconds actually gives you 10 seconds of preheat and 20 seconds of cool down before you crank it over.

30 seconds actually gives you no benefit. ....

View my Photos
jarndt

2005-02-07          105651

Some clarification might be good here. I was not aware of an automatic cutoff for the glow plugs. Nothing I rememeber from the manual either, besides recommended preheat times based on ambient temps. ....

View my Photos
alexis

2005-02-07          105683

I have a bx1800 and found it has started much better since installing a block heater this year. Prior to useing the block heater I would need to heat the small barn where it is kept. One reply to your posting said that these should start a zero degrees, that is true only in a dream. ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-02-07          105687

If I'm not mistaken they are shipped with a quarter tank or less and the law allows this at least all of our Units arrive that way!!

Hell we couldn't drive them off the bottom crate if the oppisite were true!!!

I apoligise for missing OneAce's post as he already answered it!

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-02-07          105694

Now you guys have me worried as h**l. I needed to start my L3010 just once at below zero temperatures, and it was only 2 deg. below. I let the glow plugs do their thing until the light want out, turned the key and it cranked for 3 seconds or less and started right up. The battery is brand new (albeit a factory second because I live close to a battery factory) and the oil is whatever the previous owner put in the tractor.
I'm so damn worried now that I am going to check out block heaters for next winter. I wonder if the different engine and compression ratio on the L3010 made a difference vs. a BX1500.
The loader worked as slow as h**l in the subzero temperatures, but that is another story.

View my Photos
coveredbridge

2005-03-05          107334

Hello,

I just bought a bx1500 today. The salesman kind of discouraged me from adding a block heater. Every diesel I've ever had was equipped with one, and they do seem to make the motor crank much easier when it's cold, though I don't ever really remember trying to start one in real cold weather without warming it first.

I live in Central Pa. My new bx1500 will be stored in an unheated shed. I can't imagine wanting to sit outside on it if it's zero or below, so there shouldn't be any need to start it when it's that cold. I guess my question is, under what conditions would you recommend a block heater be installed? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
coveredbridge

2005-03-05          107335

A thousand pardons. Should have read all the posts before posting myself.

Great info here. Hope I can contribute someday. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login