Go Bottom Go Bottom

tree stumps

View my Photos
excel25
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-05          103547

Have a 3010 and 30 acres of Virginia pine that is being cut. will a back hoe do the job of removing stumps on this tractor ? if so which one??
Thank you

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tree stumps

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103595

how many stumps are there? what is the diameter fo the stumps? It will do it if you have the time & patience but your probably better of renting an excavator for a weekend. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-05          103596

With all that will need to be done to clean up after removing the stumps and huge amount of hours digging; I would suggest looking into a large dozer with a ripper and tearing out the stumps and then you can level out the land as well as push the stumps into a pile to burn. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-05          103597

My buddy has a 3010 and I cut down a large oak tree about 20" . It took him a while to dig out the stump, probabably a good hour. Pine are a little easier but 30 acres is a lot of ground to cover and a backhoe isn't the tool of choice if you don't have plenty of time to do the project. I'd rent a large machine like the above mentioned.

Your 3010 will do it but you will put a good beating on it and it will take considerable time. This is the perfect project for a big rental in MHO. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-05          103600

Good man on a large excavator can rip up 2 acres a day of stumps. With the excavator you can dig a large quick hole here and there with in reach of the machine from all sides to bury the stumps, so if you have a 35 foot reach you would only need four to five holes on two acres. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-05          103604

Check your local regulations. Believe it or not there are some areas (like where I built my house in CT) that it is NOT LEGAL to bury stumps! I buried a ton of them and the clowns in town hall tried to make me dig them up. With 30 acres of them I'd try to push them in a few spots and burn them before you have too many sink holes all over the place. Pine burns great when you are trying to get rid of it. Check the regs on this too. my town requires a permit to burn stuff too. I'm waiting for them to build a big wall around my state to keep us all in line! ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-05          103607

cthonestguy, I know what your saying, I think you can still bury them on your own property here,I do, but try to take one to a dump. Nuke waste I think they would take, show up with a stump and they back you out of the gates like you have high explosives on board. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-06          103612

You could always try to rent an excavator with a grade blade on it. That's how I do it when I get large stump jobs. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-06          103622

Depending on the size of the stumps, probably the most cost effective way to deal with them would be with a full-sized TLB equipped with a grapple bucket.

Mine, see my picture # 3, will hoist a 10" pine stump out of sandy soil in seconds. I grab the stump, clamp it tight, push it forwards as far as it will go, pull it backwards as far as it will go and then just lift. The beauty of doing it this way is you get VERY little soil on the stump, what little there is will fall off with just a few shakes of the bucket using the curl function.

We use these type of machines constantly in the course of our work for this exact job. We also use 20 ton (and bigger) excavators equipped with a thumb to do this.

With a 20 ton excavator a good operator would clear and re-grade a little over 1/2 acre an hour, about 10 acres in an 8 hour shift, with a TLB you could do about half of that, about 5 acres a day.

A TLB however will allow you to transport the stumps quite a distance which would likely be a better choice for a DIY job.

In most areas you can rent a machine like that for about US$250 a day.

Best of luck. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-06          103625

I built my house out here in 1994. I have close to 5 acres and had to do some pretty good excavation to build my house. I didn't bring in any fill but moved about 3/4 an acre after cutting part of it down about 10 feet to level out a good spot for my house. I have a pretty basis colonial with a walk out basement. I have a 5' subwall below my 8' basement wall on the dowh hill side of the house to give you an idea.

On that side of the house I had a pretty big drop off which I knew I'd never do much with so I put the few stumps I had in the hole. I was back with my buddy in May of 1995 to finish the grade and fill in the hole. I went down in the hole to cut up some brush to find a hen turkey sitting on a nest which I though was going to kill me! Being an adviud hunter I couldn't fill the hole in until they moved on so I waited. In the meantime, the neighbor was 3 weeks ahead of me in the building process. He called for his final and the wetlands inspector showed up. He was a mean old 85 year old volunteer yankee set in his ways. While he was there he decided to walk the 1,200 feet and inspect my progress. Apparently he saw my stump buring ground. I had no idea it was not legal to bury them. He didn't say a word about it until he came for my final inspection! He thn told me if I wanted a C of O I would need to dig them up. Keep in mind this was the side of the house where I had a 13' wall and the stumps were further out and lower than that. I called my buddy and asked him where ther backhoe keys were hidden on the machine, went and dug up 3 other ones in the back I needed to and put them over near that side of the house. I scratched the soil up in that area and called him. He told me I was a "good boy" and gave me my sign off!

These small town volunteer inspectors are the worse of any kind. They are generally the kids who got their $%& kicked in school and now it's pay back time. We finally got a good 1st selectman who got rid of the guy. It's just amazing what you can bring to the dump but they treat a stump like it's a biohazzard. I did hear some rumors that the orange ooze that comes out of them causes cancer. I would highly dowbt a stump will give you cancer but then again what doesn't these days.

A little off the topic but I beter there are a lot of these volunteer type town officials out there. check your laws. Had I left them in a huge ugly pile next to a 1966 chevy up on blocks in the front lawn I would be ok. Your allowed one unregistered car in your yard but bury those stums and your serving time as Martha Stewart's cell mate- go figure. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-06          103627

The problem with burying stumps is not the 'orange ooze' that you mentioned.

It is the methane gas they produce and the constant settling of the ground from the decomposition of the wood.

Although it is a pretty remote possibility there have been houses blow up from methane gas creeping into the basement then igniting.

It is more likely that you would end up with a portion of yard that will be constantly settling and impossible to make look nice.

Usually rules are there to protect people, not just annoy them.

I know of many people who have bought property and found buried 'treasures' in the yard. Unfortunately it is the owner's responsbility to fix the problem, then go after the offender later.

Best of luck. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-01-06          103630

I knew about the sinkhole problem - that's why I put them in a spot where they would be away from any activity. The methane gas part is interesting. I just think that something that comes from the ground should be able to go back in the ground. If I did it all over again, considering I have plenty of land, I'd just put them in a remote location in the back woods and let nature take it's course on them and accasionally mix the pile up while they rot away. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Zippy-Do-Da

2005-01-06          103633

Last year the Guy across the highway cleared about 40acres of trees ranging in size, in 3-5 days using a Large CAT, maybe a D8. Piled the debris in rows and it is actually breaking down pretty quick. Considering the time, and wear and tear on your equiptment, I would just hire someone that has experiance and equiptment for the job. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Chief

2005-01-06          103664

Another option to burning or burrying is to rent a tub grinder and grind up the stumps. Not sure how economical that would be. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-06          103667

Lion, you mean like in my picture # 4 ? LOL

They are VERY cost-effective compared to the other options.

However, the cost to get my stuff down there would probably make a BIG hole in the budget, LOL.

The big problem with burning is that they are full of dirt and burn poorly.

Best of luck.

tree stumps

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-01-06          103685

We've got a sand hill that's too poor to farm, so we just haul or drag stumps and brush out to it and let nature take over. Surprising over several years how much they rot away. I never had much luck burning, just too much dirt in them. Frank. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2005-01-06          103689

There were people in my area who took stumps for free and then ground them up into chips. But the towns got after them because the neighbors were complaining about the noise and zoning laws came into play. So I hauled a bunch of stumps for $20/load on a 5x8 utility trailer to a local family business that would take them. No municipal dump would take them even though they don't allow burning in my town. The fellow took 4 loads from me for $60 (one load for free). I was just glad to finally get rid of them. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
excel25

2005-01-07          103725

Well so much for my excuse to buy a backhoe ! ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-07          103737

I bought a backhoe primarily for digging out stumps. As we thin out our woods I dig up the stumps. Big equipment isn't maneuverable enough to drive into the woods to dig out stumps anyway. So for an open field and lots of stumps the big iron would be faster, but for maneuverability and selective stumping a small tractor and backhoe works great. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
grinder

2005-01-07          103756

Has anyone seen a stump burner?
It is a blower attached to a piece
of well casing. The pipe is laid at the base of the
pile,get a fire going and pile them on.
Another consideration in digging stumps while selective
cutting is that you can kill adjacent tree's by digging out
a neighboring stump.
They do make a 3ph stump grinder for tractors if you just want to grind them down to grade.
I would think you could do a couple acres a day depending on the growth. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-07          103776

You do have to be careful when digging stumps near adjacent trees. The Douglas Fir trees around here are amazingly resilient. You can cut 'em down and if you don't dig out the stump they often grow right back. We have some that have four main trunks growing out of a single stump, and one like that has four new trunks about 18" thick and each is about 50 feet tall! I've ripped some roots out by accident and haven't lost a tree yet. Other tree types are probably less forgiving. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
lucerne

2005-01-07          103777

Thats how the balsam firs are here. When your cutting xmas trees. Cut it down and leave the bottom scrub branches and they grow into trees after a few years. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-10          103888

wow - thats interesting. I have never seen them do that & didnt know it was possible. ....

tree stumps

View my Photos
hardwood

2005-01-10          103891

Someone down the road a few miles from us bought an old abondon farm building site that had gotten over grown with trees and brush to the point you could hardly walk thru it. What they did looked like a good idea but it did'nt work. Most of the trees were 30-40 ft. tall and very spindly. They went in and thinned out the poorer looking ones and left the better looking trees. We had quite a windstorm a while after and most all of the trees they left went down, aparently when they are that thick they depend on each other for support during a windstoem. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login