Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
evad102a
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-23          102848

My father has a 4310 HST. He recently replaced all the fluids and filters. Since then the tractor is very slow when moving forward, reverse seems to be a bit faster than before the oil change. The FEL, 3 point hitch operate correctly. The oil and filters are factory approved. Has anybody has similar problems?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-23          102855

What does factory approved mean? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
evad102a

2004-12-24          102870

The oil is Kubota's UDT and the filters are OEM. The strainer was removed also, it had a few bits of aluminum. Not sure about the tractors hours but it's 4 or 5 years old. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-24          102880

Below is a link to a post that covered vicsosity of UDT as compared with Hygard and Chevron All Weather Synthetic Trans. Fluid. In a nut shell, Kubota UDT has a higher viscosity that Deere Hyguard. This may be why your father's 4310 hydro. trans operates slower. You said you have already checked and replaced the suction screen so there is a good chance it is the viscosity of the oil. The hydraulics are not near as picky as the hydro. If the tractor is 4 or 5 years old; it is most likely a 4300. In your neck of the woods, I would suggest using the Deere Low Viscosity Hyguard or if UDT is all that is available to you; use the Super UDT. Super UDT is very close to the same viscosity as the Deere fluids. Good luck! ....

Link:   UDT vs Super UDT

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-12-24          102882

I think I lost the numbers when the lap-top crashed, but I remember doing a direct comparison with 3 or 4 different oils.

The result I remember was that Super UDT is, by far, the lowest viscosity hydraulic oil I have seen.

I have had two similar experiences now with hydraulic oils affecting performance in Kubota HST's

In the first instance I replaced the Super UDT with Chevron Synthetic in my BX22. The tractor slowed down noticeably.

The second instance was this month when I replaced the dealer installed Hy Tran in my RTV 900 with Super UDT. There was a noticeable improvement in performance despite the fact that the weather was much, much colder.

Bottom line: The viscosity numbers differ enough between UDT(or any standard hydro-oil) and Super UDT to account for the missing performance in your tractor. Plus, I have experienced the same sort of problems going from one to the other.

If you expect top performance, the only thing to put in a Kubota HST is Super UDT. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
evad102a

2004-12-24          102894

Thanks very much for the information. We will be replacing the oil next week. I will let you know how we made out. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-25          102907

Don't use JD's hygaurd if you can get the super udt! I'd only use that in case of emergency and would change it as soon as possible. Your results would be the same as udt's. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
dedeye

2004-12-28          103095

Can anyone explain what the difference is in hydraulic fluid viscosity between going forwards and backwards.
I thought evad102a was only noticing a problem going forward.
.... Trans problems and Kubota... Who'd of thunk it!!!!
This sounds like a song I've heard before...
Dedeye

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-29          103113

Good point, but I still wouldn't make any adjustments or attempt to rememdy a problem until I knew the unit was given every chance to operate the right way. If it was just UDT and a Kubota filter then something else might be entering into it with the F-R petal. Normally for what the problem seems the neutral would also be out of place! ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-12-29          103115

Is this discussion about a Kubota L4310 or a JD 4310? It seems that 2ndHandLion is addressing this post as a JD4310 tractor and Art, Dedeye are viewing this as a Kubota tractor. Since this is in the Kubota discussion I would expect it to be a Kubota tractor. However the post says HST and the Kubota L4310 is not an HST tractor, correct? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Chief

2004-12-29          103123

Doh!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) ;-) I hate when that happens! I missed the Kubota section part and mistook if for the JD version. Still, I agree with Art about the Super UDT. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
evad102a

2005-01-03          103388

I got the tractor going forward today. I had to change the position of a linkage arm, I think its called the neutral adjustment linkage. The tractor is still not up to full speed in forward. I will work on it some more tommorrow. Can somebody explain why I had to do this after a oil change. BTW the oil I used is Premium UDT Kubota oil. Not the super as some suggested. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-03          103393

Not to much difference between Canada and NY for temperature and I don't recommend any thing but Super UDT! I don't understand the differnce with the change of oil and a need to adjust the transmission other then the oil. The super UDT is thinner oil to work in cold temperatures and to still give good lubrication and protection of moving components of the transmission which you are denying the tractor of by using a thicker oil on cold starts as well as operation. It is a type of syntetics which is a prefered type of oil for maximum peformance by many. What does the owners manual say to use for an oil? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
evad102a

2005-01-03          103397

The manual says to use Kubota UDT oil. There is no mention of super UDT. We spoke to two different Kubota dealers and according to them we are using the correct oil. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-04          103418

Part of the difference may just be in the labelling.

I too picked up (OK, had dleivered) some "Super UDT" recvently for my 'Bota.

After I poured it in I noticed two things were different about the container than the last one I used. First it is now called "Premium UDT" not "Super", innless they sent me the wrong stuff, and secondly, it now says "Made in Canada" on the label. It seemed, as it went down the funnel, to be the same as the previous stuff I had used.

There are only a handfull of companies producing fluids in Canada so it should be relatively easy to track down who makes it. In theory it should say on the WHMIS sheet. It would be nice to find another source, Kubota Canada's price is $19.95 Cdn. a 4 litre jug (a little more than 1 US gallon).

Best of luck. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-04          103445

Murf.... I think they sent you the wrong stuff. You might want to make a phone call or two. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-04          103447

The entire label is different than anything I have had before, including, if the CRS isn't too bad, the old 'regular' UDT we use in the GST units.

In fact I don't remember the 'regular' stuff being called 'premium' either.

I have to take the missus out somewhere later this afternoon and in doing so have to pass the dealer, I'll drop in and pick up my bottle of Christmas cheer and check it out. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-05          103505

Mystery solved !!!!

It seems that Kubota Canada is trying (succeeding?) to stop a sales leak while also cutting costs to boot.

A Canadian oil company caled Petro Canada has become a world-leader in developing specialty petroleum as well as semi & full synthetic lubricants and specially formulated asphalts.

One of there newer products is a HST / UTF called Duratran™, a full synthetic product. It is so good, and performs so well in HST applications that a lot of dealers were buying it instead of Kubota's Super UDT. It out-performed Super UDT and it was also a LOT cheaper than Kubota's own product.

The solution? Simple. Make a deal with Petro Canada whereby they ship Duratran™ in containers labelled "Kubota Premium UDT", Kubota Canada buys exclusively from Petro Canada, and in return Petro Canada can no longer sell directly to a Kubota Dealer.

So, Kubota re-captures lost sales, Petro Canada gets more sales, and we all get "Premium UDT" which is a superior product, albeit at a higher price unless you know enough to go straight to a Petro Can. distributor and ask for it by name.

Just don't tell the Petro Can. people what you're buying it for, if you do they're not allowed to sell it to you, they have to tell to buy the OEM product.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Petro Canada Duratran Lubricant

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-01-05          103510

Sounds like market manipulation and/or collusion to me. Is that even legal? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-05          103511

Probably not, that doesn't mean it won't/can't happen though.

They've been doing this for years with lots of things, rims in particular, they buy a certain amount from each manufacturer/distributor and as a part of the deal they can't sell those sizes at anything less than Kubota's prices.

Their favourite trick is to always refer to an item by a Kubota part number only, not the manufacturer's part number, that way you have no way to cross-reference it until you've bought it.

Case in point, a 1/2" male Q-D. fitting for the remote outlets, an industry standard part, the Pioneer part sells for about $8 per, an off-shore equivalent part sells for about $6 per, the Kubota part has a MSRP of $38 per. When the "Kubota" part arrives, it is stamped as "Pioneer 1020-4".

Why? Same reason a dog licks himself. Because he CAN.

Best of luck.

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-05          103527

I often wonder who sets prices to the manufacturers. We often question them and find that they were unaware of better purchasing prices available. Or much the same as the insureance agent who starts on a 10% margin and then every year adds a percent or two and doesn't get caught until there customer checks another company and finds he can buy insurance for far less often the same amount he started paying ten years ago! There are many different reasons. We sell disc blades and arbor bolts for many discs and convert many of them into our Case system as the parts are half the price of the factory orignials even though they all came from the same factory. I recommend all to check all prices! ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-05          103541

At first glance, the viscosity numbers are almost identical to Super UDT. It may have an even (slightly) thinner viscosity.

I suppose it is going to be available only in Canada? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-05          103542

If you open the file marked "Technical Data Sheet" for the Duratran Synthetic the very bottom of the very bottom of the 4th page lists contact information for "Petro-Canada American Lubricants" in Chicago so I would tend to think it would be available if there is a distributor nearby.

I would also think it would be a good bit cheaper wearing a Petro-Canada label, those Orange labels must be awfully expensive to print, they seem to significantly raise the price of everything they get put on.

Maybe a 'care package' from Canada is in order, a couple of barrels of Duratran, couple jugs of Maple Syrup, a pound of cheddar cheese, a bottle of Crown Royal and a case of beer.....

Best of luck. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-05          103554

What does the factor use for hydraulic oil meaning when i bought it what did it have in it? Secondly..Murf - What did you pay? I can buy a 5 gallon bucket at my dealer of " super UDT" for $69. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-06          103621

If you buy a Kubota tractor here in Canada now this is what it will come to you filled with.

They ship tractors crated & dry, they are only filled with fluids during the set-up & PDI process.

Pricing takes a little math, we can get it retail, in either 4 & 20 litre containers, that is the equivalent of 0.945 & 4.725 US gallons respectively, they retail (at my dealer, with the Orange label) for C$15.95 & C$78.95 respectively, that would be ~ US$12.76 & US$63.16 (at 1:1.25 exchange).

The local Petro-Canada distributor gave me a 'ballpark' price of C$12.75 & C$62.75 (US$10.20 & US$50.20) but said that was without any kind of volume discount or terms.

Bear in mind though, this stuff IS now "Super UDT", at least up here. I'm going to do a changeover of the fluid in my own machine and see what if any difference it makes, it's due for a fluid change soon anyways.

Best of luck. ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-07          103741

well, that is a good price but I would be better off buying it local b/c of the shipping costs. You say your due for a hydraulic oil change...how many hours do you change it? Mine holds 11.2 us gallons, what does yours hold? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
TNCHRIS

2005-01-23          104757

i thought they were shipped dry too. but my local dealer said they come with the fluids in them, (except the front axle) they are test run in japan and the fluids are left in.

Art is this true? ....

Transmisson problem

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-23          104767

They are all different. Most are coming with some fluids depending on the degree of factory assembly and it's location. Years ago they would come totally dry do to the amount of assembly. Today many of the tractors are at least partially assmebled and run and tested at the factory. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login