dockdoctor
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-22          102757

Newbee Please help Want to buy soon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-22          102760

The 110 is a smaller machine. The L-39 Kubota is a better match and actually out performs the 110 in most areas of performance. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-23          102802

Art, Can the L48 hoe come off and the machine then be used as a tractor with a 3pth and pto as the 110 can?

David ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102805

Yes the hoe comes off or you can buy it without the hoe as we did. We had no need for the hoe. The 3 point and PTO is just like any normal CUT. One thing that would be nice is telescoping arms for 3 point. Big tractor = big attachments= heavy to move to line up. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102809

The difference in the capacities of the two machines is minor. I own and run a 110 for work and have run an L48 but not as much. First impression is even thought the L48 is a little stronger, I think with the comford and agility of the 110, it would out work the L48.That is if you can keep it out of the shop. Lots of trouble in the beginning but it has been fine for the last 200 hours.
The 110 hoe removes easier, the bucket controll is very comfortable, you can lay your arm on the arm rest and run it with your wrist. The machine can be moved forward and back from the hoe seating position with the finger controls. The L48 you have to reach over and push on the foot pedal.The gauges and throttle setting are where they can be seen and reached on the 110 from bucket or hoe position. It was a well though out machine. The L48 is tough and a little more powerful in some areas. I think the L48 might last a little longer in severe use conditions. The 110 hoe will lift more while the L48 bucket will lift more then the 110.The 110 comes with quick connect loader bucket so all brand skid steer attachment fit right on. I would highly recomend running both machines at the dealers and really use them, not just run them and look them over. On the 110 run it in (A)gear and at about 2500 for the bucket work and 1600 for the hoe.Run the 110 like a skid steer, full speed reverse and hit the forward full speed, on dirt it will slide right around to the direction your steering. Light on the bucket controlls at that rpm. Here is a link that comares the specs. Read up on each machine at their sites for features they offer.

Link:   compare

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102819

I think that was good summation of the 2. I will add that we ordered ours with no bucket or linkage and the dealer had ATI quick tach and bucket on from new, so it would fit all skid steer attachments. I don't know about the deere but kubota skipped the annoying safety switch in the seat, just something to rewire on other models if it is there. My john deere seat switch only lasted 2 weeks before it drove me crazy. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102822

The 110 does have that G,D seat switch. In this cold weather I have to drive my knee into the seat a few times to soften it up and then if you hit a bump it still stops untill your butt warms the seat. What is the quickest, neatest safest way to by pass that thing? Unplug? Jumper wire? fuse? HELP?? ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102824

Denwood, they do have that top and tilt for the 110, I have the regular 3pt but I bet it's nice. How do you like the 520 Kubota, I was reading up on it the other night, the specs are impresive. It take a pretty big Cat to match the lift and lift height. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102828

I know 10 people will bitch about undoing the safety switch, but I took a 3" piece of fine guage wire, stripped 1/2 off each end, folded the stripped wire over the prongs of the plug, and plugged it back in. Done and neatly. I don't know about T&T for either machine. Only thing ever on it was a 6' bush hog. The R520 is in the top 2 finest pieces of machinery I have ever operated. The specs and abilities are seperb, and as strong as it is, it is just as gentle. Kubota hit such a home run that the new series came out and the biggest change I could see was the addition of a cup holder. It is so strong that the engine and 2000 lb counter weight are not enough. We threw on a 55Gal jug of water off the back and it still tips up with a pallet of solid concrete retaining wall. 5 cubic yard pallets of mulch are fine, as are anything esle we have. I routinely stick the forks with trees inside the back doors of vans and trucks. You can drive along with the wheels turning 1 rpm without uning the brakes. I have never used the brakes. It is hydrostatic, but at the same time hooked to the throttle.. As you push the pedal, it revs and accelerates. The hydro tranny automatically gears down while rpms stay high for force. It cannot stall and can spin wheels easily when pushing. Only complaint that I can't control(such as counter weight) is lack of limited slip axles. They did offer them on the R510, the previous series. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102831

I will give that a try with the wires, something like a phone wire,or a fine multi strand. The 520 sounds even more impresive now. I see you can get a backhoe for it too but I think the perfect combo would be the 520 and a kx161 excavator when they put the tilt blade on it like they did the 121.When I have to load wheelers with the 110 I build a 1 foot dirt ramp and I can load them with 8'4" side boards. The 520 will clear over 8'4" with the bucket dumped. Thanks for your input and help. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102833

I agree with the no backhoe unless you must. I opted for the Kubota because of the rear mount capabilities that Yanmar loaders didn't have. Kubota used to have a 3 point option with a gannon box with top and tilt. They may offer it again. New around 45-50k, I got one at a dealer used 1000hours rental to one company, about 21k. Was used by a remediation company to load trucks. I have a Takeuchi mini track hoe. It is the other one in my top 2 machines I have ever operated. So reliable, so powerful, so smooth, so versatile and blows away any other form of hoe. My only complait is tail swing. I really would like 0 tailswing. But it is only my toy and I can't justify a new one if it doesn't earn its keep. I mounted my auger on the boom and it is one digging machine. 6-30" holes anywhere you can reach and way more down pressure than a skid loader. Have you checked out Takeuchi's new big hoe. I don't know if it is the right size for you but it is 0 swing all around. Even in the front, it can pull it's whole boom in and spin inside its track width. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102835

Never heard of Takeuchi untill a few minutes ago comparing Kubota at their site they had them listed. Do you have a link? My power went out a few minutes ago so had to type this over, 70 mph winds at least. I'm on the side of a mountian and the nearest break is about 2 miles away, another mountian. Pieces of tree's are bouncing off the house. Asked the electrician to finish up the genorator hook up few weeks ago. Of course I'll be sitting in the dark tonight because he hasn't shown up. I think I'm going to work toward a 520 and an excavator. Hey everyone, I have a nice 2004 JD 110tlb with hyd thumb 16"and 24" buckets quick tatch, plus a 3pt set forsale. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-23          102836

here is their site http://www.takeuchi-us.com/ The machine I spoke of is the TB53FR, unfortunatly their site is having problems right now but you can see a picture of it on the main page and general specs. Mine is the older series, TB025, a 1997 with 2700 hours, original tracks and never had a failure other than a hydraulic line. I bought as 3rd owner and got complete maint records from selling dealer and previous owner. I sold my bobcat 873 to buy it. What a bull in a china shop it was. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-23          102838

Found the site through google, and it wasn't working but is now. Nice looking stuff, need to find a dealer local and some pricing. I used a Cat skid steer the other day for a while and then jumped out and got on my machine to finish what I was trying to do with it. I told a friend of mine who was hauling gravel to the job at the time, what a useless piece of steel, no wonder they sell so cheap used, he said yah!!! a motorized dust pan. I think he covered it right there. He does have quit a sence of humor, the other night he called just as my microwave was done cooking and it was beeping. He said, what are you in your truck? I said no it's the microwave, he said what do they put back up alarms on microwaves for? ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-23          102859

The L-48 has more reach then the 110 and it also has a pump just for the boom swing just like the L-39 meaning faster cycle times. There is no need for an skid pan for the bottom of either of the Kubota's as they have not had any major damage problems there. Kubota does have the option of the universal Q-tach bucket as well as top and tilt, thumbs from the excavators and the L-48 can run up to a three hundred pound jack hammer or a auger off the hoe. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-12-24          102887

lucerne said:
"I used a Cat skid steer the other day for a while and then jumped out and got on my machine to finish what I was trying to do with it. I told a friend of mine who was hauling gravel to the job at the time, what a useless piece of steel, no wonder they sell so cheap used, he said yah!!! a motorized dust pan."

lucerne, what's the matter with Cat skidsteers? I tried one and really liked it, very easy to operate. I didn't use it enough to really put it through its paces though. A friend is thinking about buying it. Is that a mistake?
Dave ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-24          102890

I suppose it's according to what you use it for. Cleaning stalls in a big dairy farm they would be excellent.In buildings doin demolition with a hammer, forks or bucket I could see. They do lift high but you can't see your load untill it hits you in the face, they don't reach far and where you set so low your blind to what your doing. I found back dragging is a waste of time, they are too light on the front and they spin too easy.They sure don't drive into a pile of gravel like a loader or tlb. With the ground clearance and the tires, I would guess winter and off road use would be out too, I would think as soon as you drop the bucket it would spin. Maybe that is the reason for the newer track skid steers. If you are in and out of your machine alot, don't forget you have to climb over your tools or load, what ever you have on.Performance per dollar I can't see one unless you have one special job that that machine would excell in and will be doing it daily. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-24          102895

I'll add my 2 cents. I agree exactly with Lucerne's points. I have spent many hours in a skid loader, and owned a 1997 bobcat 873 from new for 3 years. they have their spots where they outshine all else, but for me, they are a bull in a china shop. They are great if the ground is super hard like pavement, or if it is somewhere you just don't care like a new construction site. On finished softer ground, you can get one or 2 passes maybe, then things start to really tear up. You save 1 hour on hand labor doing a small task and spend the hour repairing what you ripped up. They are terrible on soft ground. I got stuck too many times, then I would have to dump the bucket and push myself out with it. My best friend called to ask which skid loader to buy and I said one with tracks. He wined that they cost an extra 10,000. I said fine, demos are free, just try them all and you decide. It took him one day and he bought the bobcat T190. He loves it although is has had its repair problems. He has never been stuck and claims to do jobs just not possible and in weather not possible with a skid loader. The only way I will ever buy another is if it is so cheap, I know I will resell it and make money. My wheel loader is perfect for my applications. I can and did just today, drive it for 4+ hours over the same soft gravel with just the pattern of the tires left. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-25          102910

Art, I think if I did alot of backhoe work the L48 would be a better machine, reasons, because of the reach, that extra power,and the hydraulics you mentioned. If Kubota is ok with loading the tires it would be even better. You can toss the L48 around with the hoe in tough digging or frozen ground because of the stick length and power. John Deere says don't load the tires on the 110 unless used without the hoe, I guess you have to have two sets of tires and change them when you take the hoe off, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong the Kubota is a great machine and I have alot more respect for my local Kubota dealer and the company then Deere at the moment. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-26          102941

I've seen them dig beyond a three foot frost line with little trouble and after they got below it then they started to really dig. Some times smaller buckets are great to own for moments like frost. Or the jack hammer to break it loose to begin with as we often have freeze-ups below driveways. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-12-26          102967

Wow - Thats amazing that it can break ground threw a 3 foot frost line!!!! What size backhoe bucket did i thave on it to do that? ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-26          102969

Art, I see your in central NY so you must have pretty hard frost. Our frost is close to breaking through shale, blacktop cuts easier. I have run an L48 on frozen ground and maybe they have more power then a JD 110tlb but not so much it would make any difference. Once you have the power to lift the machine off the ground that is your limit, the weight of the machine for down force. I have beat and scratched the hell out of the ground with an L48 when frozen and it sure isn't any easy task, nor is it with most any machine. Maybe your frost or soil is different then here, but I put my machine away for the winter except to plow in extremly deep snow. It's not worth beating the bushing out of it.Was thinking about buying a single ripper tooth but I'm not sure if that would be worth the investment. If anyone uses a ripper on a 4 ton machine, let me know how it is in heavy frost and/or summer roots. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-26          102974

It was a 12" which is far smaller then normal but after the whole was open the bigger bucket pulled it out by slabs or just big clumps. A good ripper would do well to break open the frozen soil. The ground here can be most any thing but when I watched this it was in gravel. ....

L48 VS JD 110

View my Photos
lucerne

2004-12-26          102976

I have a 24"& 16" bucket because I can't use a 12" with a thumb. It is narrower then 16" though. One mistake Deere made on this bucket is they put four teeth on it. The whole front of the bucket is cutting edge with all those teeth. 3 would have been great. If I had known I would have never ordered it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login