Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-18          102467

I am considering a 3pth backhoe for my 2003 7500 hydro.
I have not looked at size or brand.
Talking to the service manager at my recent 50 hr service,
I got the impression they are hard on the tractor. As
opposed to a subframed unit. I mostly mow with a MMM 60"
and blow snow. But have some digging I would like to be able to do.
Any comments would be welcome.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-18          102470

Grinder; I've never owned a 3pt. hoe, but when I went hoe shopping it was hard to find anyone who had owned one or a dealer selling both frame mount or 3pt. that would recommend one over a frame mount unit. Everyone echoed your service managers comment that the 3pt. just wasn't meant to handle that much twisting and overall strain. I've been real happy with my #48 Deere subframe unit, no problems so far. Have a peacefull holiday season. Frank. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-18          102472

Grinder, this might be a good time to switch up on packages and take advantage of the lower interest rates on new tractors. I say this as Kubota as a full tractor mounted subframe for it's new backhoe on that size tractor. It's a BH75 and it uses the same style hook-up as the BH90 and there commercial machines. I think you would be impressed with it as there is no sacrifice of ground clearance with this machine as with other makes and they are quick and easy to install. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
grinder

2004-12-18          102485

I'm not familiar with that tractor, what about mowing and blowing?
Same to you and yours Frank. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-18          102500

The best intro work that I've seen is at http://www.deenimplement.com/ They are toally capable of all the chores to the best of my knowledge. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-19          102569

Art, I've looked at a used B4672 hoe for my 7800 but it didn't have a sub-frame. I'm a little confused. Should this hoe have a sub-frame for the 7800, or isn't it compatable at all.

When you look at the simple statics, a hoe could put some serious forces on the top link bracket if used on a 3-pt hitch. Just 250lbs. of vertical load 6' from the 3-pt would induce a 1000lb horizontal reaction at the top link, and a 1500ft-lb moment between the top link at lift arm pins. This doesn't seem like a healthy way to treat the tractor.

I would definitely stay with a subframe mount for a compact tractor. It would seem that type of moment should be distributed across the tractor though a stiffened frame, and not induced at the 3-pt. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
Art White

2004-12-20          102581

Beagle, that is the factory hoe for that tractor! They have worked just fine on them for years and had no problems. They will from time to time get a little loose unlike the four point hoe package they offer now but they do work and do it well for there size. Kubota tractors like your B-7800 are unique in there design to the compact tractors as they run a full frame like the big farm tractors do so unlike many of there counterparts. This helps spread the stress from one end of the tractor to the other so they don't break in half at the clutch housings. I have listened to many of the lower subframe people that found they reduce the flexibility of the tractors as well as ground clearance and I've seen the problems with them. It was interesting that a BX23 has more ground clearance then many full compacts with the subframe hoes!! If you are just looking to do some digging on your own I'd say you'd be okay with that unit but if it's tough then maybe you'd want more as I do like the full frame hoes they are offering now on all sizes of the Kubota compacts. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-20          102585

Thanks for the info Art. I have been looking for a missing sub-frame. As long as the top link bracket can take that kind of abuse, I won't keep looking for a sub-frame that doesn't exist. Thanks again. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
kubotatlbownwe

2005-01-26          104941

I have owned a kubota 3710 tlb for a number of years now and the three point hitch hoe is quite tough on the toplink mount. I've redrilled the bolt holes and taped the sizes larger for the bolts. I also welded tabs on each side of the mount area at the top to take some of the stress off the bolts. MY OPINION?? if you can afford the frame mount unit, by all means, buy that model. Also, I personally don't think the pto mounted pump for this hoe is any near as powerfull as the internal system that you'll get with the frame mount. May I add, that it seems that the steel used in this unit is VERY soft and doesn't stand up to what's needed for the usage. Hope this helps Larry ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
denwood

2005-01-26          104951

I also owned a 3 point mount hoe, ARPS 80. I got it used from a man who dug most of the foundation for his house and his in ground pool with it mounted on a Ford 1920. The Ford suffered no ill effects from a good bit of use. One thing important to keep in mind is size. If properly matched to the tractor and not oversized, it will be much less likely to do damage. I also agree that my pump seemed low in power, not speed compared to other hoes. The pressure did check out for the pump. It may have been in the valve relief setting. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-26          104955

I've had a 3pt hoe with a PTO pump for over a year now. It's easy to mount (5 min) and so far my tractor hasn't suffered any ill effects. I use it to deepen the creek that drains my trout ponds so it hasn't gotten really rough use. I'll probably also use it to dig some trenches for buried electric. We have soft sand so it too is easy digging. The 11 GPM pto pump has plenty of output and I don't need to use more than 1500 engine rpm or it's too fast.

There is no doubt that a frame mount BH is able to take more abuse. You just need to look at the short distance between mount points on the 3pt and imagine the torque that you could apply over those mount points with a job like digging out roots. I wouldn't recommend a 3PT BH commercially but if the digging is easy they seem to work well.

My worst experience is when I thought I was completely stuck for a time in a boggy area and simply forgot to raise the stabilizers. DUH!
Dave

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-26          104957

Did you install a heavier top link bracket, or wasn't it necessary on the L-Series? I am most comcerned about the top link bracket and how it is attached to the tractor. The reaction at the top link is certainly the weak point of the system.

I will be doing light digging, sandy soil, and actually for the same reason you did. Level control ditch for my pond. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-26          104959

beagle, I did not install the heavier top link but that might be a good idea. It's not super heavy material but maybe being the weak point would allow it to bend/break before doing damage to the tractor itself.
Dave ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
Art White

2005-01-26          105004

There are only certain combinations that require added support for the hoe top link. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-01-27          105073

Can't help you with a brand or size recommendation, but I've been using my Cadplans 3ph hoe for two years now on my TC29 and it has done almost everything I've needed to. The only stumps that have defeated me are a couple of 3'+ diameter cottonwoods that apparently have an extensive root network. But I've removed some huge rocks from the yard and ditches. and many stumps in the 1' diameter and under range.

A 3ph hoe just isn't the same machine as a dedicated tractor loader backhoe, but you can accomplish a lot with one, if you take your time.

I decided on the Cadplans hoe because of cost and I didn't like giving up the ground clearance for a sub-frame mount.

Good luck,
Bill ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-27          105084

The used hoe I looked at didn't have the top link bracket with it. Da, I would assume it is still on the tractor. I am going to try the folks at TractorSmart for the link bracket. I'm not sure I'll get the BH, but the link bracket may be a good idea anyhow. From what I can tell, it has a much better mount to the tractor than the stock bracket, which would probably be a good idea with my goose-neck boom pole too. ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-01-28          105111

beagle, maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you talking about the normal top link for the 3PT, and the bracket on the tractor that the adjustable top link attaches to? I'm trying to figure out exactly what's missing from the BH you're looking at.
Dave ....

3 pth backhoe

View my Photos
beagle

2005-01-28          105136

The top link bracket on the tractor itself. From what I have been able get from the owners manual for a 4672 and 4690 BH, the bracket ON THE tractor gets replaced with a "reinforced" bracket. I have part no.s for the older series tractors, but not for the 2910 or the 7800. That is why I will need ro do some digging to get numbers for the 2910/7800. I have an old manual from the BH.

It makes sense, especially if the actual mounting to the tractor is "enhanced", for the lack of a better word. I'm not so worried about the top link itself, it is having the bracket tear off the cylinder case the worries me. From the parts manual, it appears that the reinforced bracket has additional mounting holes into the top of the case to help take the horizontal loads from the BH.

Any other information about this would be welcomed. This is as far as I've gotten so far. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login