Go Bottom Go Bottom

What s wrong with this picture

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-07          101814

Do you think this is stolen or a scam??

Link:   BX23

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-07          101820

Looked like a nice tractor to me! A little rough for only 11 hours but the price is real good. I wonder who owns it? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-08          101825

I've never dealt with Ebay, so I don't know much about how it all works. That sure seems like way too much for way too little, I'd be pretty cautious. Frank. ....

View my Photos
bobkro32

2004-12-08          101828

Agree with Ken, although E-bay is not the problem. It's the people who use E-bay that you have to watch.

E-bay is used by crooks to unload stolen items. I have personal experience with stolen bicycles being subsequently offered for sale on E-bay as "good deals."

The usual caution applies: Let the buyer beware.

b ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-12-08          101830

I have never used e-bay before, but I always go by the rule of thumb that if it looks too good to be true it probably is. ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2004-12-08          101835

I've been watching ebay for a certain kind of motorcycle. One was listed in Canada from somebody with no feedback with a "Buy-It-Now" of about half of what the going price is. He didn't get any bids and eventually the ad was pulled (don't know if ebay pulled it, or he stopped the auction).

This one looks like a "too good to be true" deal. It is always possible that stolen items are being sold as well.

I've bought quite a bit of stuff from ebay, including parts for my tractor restoration projects, and have had only one bad experience...lost $5. You can save a bunch of money if you're careful.

Good luck,
Bill ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-12-08          101841

I’ve used eBay quite a bit, both selling and buying. You have to use the same degree of caution that you would use at any auction, or buying from any private party. Or, maybe slightly more caution, due to the seller’s unanimity.

For this item I wouldn’t be so concerned with the starting price being so low. It’s typical in this sort of auction to “start low, so you can sell high”. It’s a way of gaining bidder interest. The thing that would concern me is that it appears to be the first item ever sold by this seller. So, no seller feedback.

If someone were truly interested in bidding on it, I would email the seller with a barrage of questions. Starting with “Where did YOU buy it? What’s the dealer’s name? Etc. that way you can checkup on the seller a bit, to determine if it’s legit.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-12-08          101844

On a deal like this I'd ask for the machine and engine serial numbers and run them through police records (and Kubota, not sure if they track serial numbers like Deere). I'd also want to go there to see it in person and to close the deal. If you start making noises about the serial numbers my guess is that you won't become an "approved" bidder. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2004-12-08          101845

eBay usually has something called a reserve, the seller specifies the starting bid and the reserve amount. The reserve is the minimum price the seller will let the item go for. If the bids go over the reserve amount the seller must accept the bid, if not they do not have to sell it.

I would think the reserve on this has to be around $13000 + US. Nonetheless this guy just has the one machine on eBay and unless you are in Canada and can see it first, it is along shot. ....

View my Photos
zr1john

2004-12-08          101853

Guys,
This is a probably a scam. I deal alot with ebay with autos. When you see the auctions asking for pre approved bidders only, you will usually be asked to place a deposit on the item and then never see yor money again. These type of auction sales usually are for cars and motorcycles. One that I have personally delt with was for a classic corvette that actually had a riduciously low buy it now price. The seller usually has no feedbacks. An email to ebay to check into such auctions will usually end up with the auction disappearing rather quickly. Also you will usually find on a scam auction that the item is not in the US. I would stay away from this one.
John ....

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-12-08          101859

I have seen a number of tractors offered on eBay for unbelievably low prices and without reserves. Although I am not in the market (just curious), I have placed the web addresses in my Favorites to check back close to the auction close date. In every case the address comes up with a dead page several days later. This would indicate to me that these were scam or fake auctions that eBay deleted. For what it's worth, I have purchased a number of small items (all under $25 or so) and have had good success. I personally would be uncomfortable buying expensive stuff sight unseen, though. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-12-08          101883

Personally, E-Bay scares the poop out of me. Never used it, probably never will. I like to be the only person using my ID. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-08          101909

I have used ebay a good bit and this is definitly a scam. I have never seen a real auction limited to preapproved bidders, When it says ship "worldwide", no feedback, only been a member since day auction started, these are good indicators as well as a buy it now too low price. Some scams are very realistic and elaborate. My dealings have been limited to under $13000, and I have bought things unseen. Like my vermeer trencher which I bought used and just resold on ebay for what I paid but 3 years later.( got all my trenching done for free) I always check their other items, feedback, payment options. If they accept PAYPAL with a credit card, I never worry. If it is a scam, my credit card yanks payment from paypal(it did happen on a $700 computer). I don't let paypal debit my bank account, there is only protection through paypal and I don't trust them with that. If they don't take paypal, feedback becomes more important with similar items. If it is a high dollar item, that I can't see, I insist on a full name with a land line phone number that I can reverse search online. When I sell, I accept no paypl or credit cards, I am honest and don't want a scammer yanking my payment. I make sure all payments clear before pickup or it must be only cash if they pay at pickup and I check every bill. Ebay is a great place but riddled with danger and it is the inexperienced that often fall prey. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-08          101910

The one scam that came closest to pulling me in was for a New Holland tc35 or 40? with all kinds of attachments. It had a realistic reserve that did not get met but I was high bidder. I contacted the seller to try a lower price. His first flaw was to come down way to far to quick. Then I dug deep. He claimed he was out of the country on business but an independant shipping company would "hold" the money till I got tractor. The company turned out to be a total fake ISP Freight in Massachusetts, with very elaborate website with tracking etc. Claimed to be in BBB and local chamber of commerse, neither ever heard of company. They had a fake phone number to a machine in NYC and a real address to a real transport company that never heard of them. The seller was even able to give me a real serial number of the same model tractor that did not have a lien on it. New Holland verifed it but added it was sold to Chevron Corp. in Louisiana not a man in Mass. The scammer even gave the real dealer name that sold the tractor new but they were very unhelpful and only verified that it was sold in Mass. I eventually found the real tractor for sale on that other tractor site's for sale page. It may still be there. Be careful. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-08          101912

Here is the inside on this scam. I do a ton of selling on ebay. If you notice this listing it says "pre -approved" bidders only. It will not allow you to just bid. Usually they have a separate email link so it doesn't go through ebay but they realized people got wise to this. Now they create a new ebay id such as this one. They get you to email them and ask about bidding. They get your email and then negotiate a deal outside of ebay where they will ask you to wire the money or send it and they will ship it. Sometimes they will ask for a few hundred bucks to hold it while you come to get it. It's a scam- trust me.

I sell lots of tractors on ebay(small garden ones) Never buy anything big dollar from anyone that requires you to wire funds. Cash upon pick up or don't deal with them. If y9ou insist on buying and having something shipped, check the sellers feedback and click on the items. Some of these dirt scammers will have a great feedback rating but when you check to see what they sold it was 100 baseball cards for a buck each and then the sell a bx23 for 5,000 bucks.

Also, don't fall for the newest scam that some foriegn dirt bag emails you that he has a client interested and your item is 2,000 but he will send you a certified check for 3800 which includes his finders fee. he will ask you to cash it at a check cashing place and wire him the 1800 at the same time- SCAM SCAM...the check turns out to be no good and you sent him 1800 bucks- don't fall for it.

Like the one guy said before- if it's too good to be true it is! Do not buy from anyone who requires a deposit unless it's a reputable dealer on ebay. do your homework, people get slammed for thousands every day. we all work hard to earn a buck these scums will try to rip you off! ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-12-08          101916

Just like others said!!

Would you buy a car from a person that never sold any thing before,not even so much as a cookie jar!! Now I'll agree everyone has to start some where but do you want them to start with YOU???

Seller information
6619patrick ( 0 )
Feedback Score: 0 feedback reviews
Member since Dec-07-04 in Canada

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-08          101921

FYI...if you check the item it's gone! I reported it once I read this listing and it is now and invalid item. I can't stress enough after reading some of these comments do not send anyone cash unless you are very sure who you are dealing with. These scammers will steal someone's password and then even change the email link. They become a guy like me (honest) and the "email seller" link sends the emails to them. They more or less bootleg your account. My feedback on ebay is well over 230 all positive and mostly all 300-2000 dollar machines but they bootleg accounts like mine. Likethe previous poster wrote. get a real phone number and land line them reverse look up. Just put the phone number in the search field of google and it will give you an address. CASH UPON PICKUP!!!! THE ONLY SAFE BET!!!. There are good deals on ebay. I grabbed my 2001 bx2200 with 170 hours in perfect shape with a 211 loader, york rake and a few other attachments for $6,000 last spring. It was a local sale and I went with the cash- no wire! ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-08          101923

This is almost funny how bad ebay is. Here is the lesson of the day as to how ebay can't keep up. do one of 2 things. either copy this item number 3859171036, and paste it in the ebay search field. This is a classic example of the old scam. the guys email is down so email him directly. BX2200 for 2 grand buy it now.

the 2nd thing is go to the ebay home page and type KUBOTA in the search field. When it comes up open up the box that says currently "itemes ending soon" click on "newly listed" and you will see at least 2-5 every time of the scams. These guys actually steal an honest seller's listing word for word and picture for picture and rip not so smart people off every day. Check it out, you won't believe it! ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-12-09          101933

I love Ebay...but I must have fallen for this guy's scam...I emailed him to ask for more info (never heard from him) and asked him how I get to be put on the pre approved bidder list...now he has my email address...I'll probably get a million spams now. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-09          101967

Blueman, I would not worry about him too much. He has bigger fish to fry, suckers. Pun intended ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-12-14          102229

Okay, anyone want to place bets on this one. Low starting price, and "pre-approved bidders only". But, the seller looks more legitimate, than the last. Scam or not? ....

Link:   eBay item 4344267089

View my Photos
Blueman

2004-12-14          102230

He has sold only one other item on Ebay, and it wasn't tractor related! Something this cheap...something is wrong. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-14          102231

this is one of the scammers. he probably stole this guys ebay account. See the low feedback? They send out fake emails from ebay that look real askign for your account and passwords. then they bootleg your account and switch the email contact info to them. You email them for approval, they approve, you bid, you win you pay and not tractor. you go after him and it's some poor slob in the midwest who hasn't realized what happened because it wasn't him! By the time you realize someone stole your account it's too late. ebay takes 24-48 hours to respond to stuff. like I said before, go for it but cash upon pick up or delivery only on ebay. too many scams out there and this is clear cut. watch it, he will become an unregistered user or the listing will be invlaid soon..jim ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-12-14          102233

already gone, 2.40pm central time.

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2004-12-14          102237

Maybe I’m just naive, but to witness the brazenness of these scammers, ... it just amazes me. I suppose if you did periodic eBay searches, these same items (or similar items) will pop-up again, and again, with different sellers from different countries, etc. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-14          102242

Before I bought my cut, I was watching many different brands and models closely day after day for over a year and yes the same item does pop up repeatedly with different sellers, usually the first is real and the following are scams, that is how the ad seems so realistic.
I usually emailed any bidders if it wasn't private and told them it was a scam. Some emailed back and thanked me. Another ebay buyer set up an account and his user name is "its a scam don't bid" or something like that and he just bids on scams to warn people when they see the high bidders user name. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2004-12-14          102243

I bought my first "its too good to be true" ebay item this past week. I paid with paypal so I was not really worried but didn't expect to get it. It did come and was as described, a brand new, still oil and gas, dry 13HP Honda engine for my log splitter. It had a healthy layer of dust on it, but $325 buy it now, $35 shipping anywhere in lower 48, $10 insurance. I have been searching for one for over a year now at a reasonable price. Usually shipping alone is $65 and up and used engines bring around that price. I bought a similar one last year for over 450, but the seller and UPS both damaged it so it went back. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login