Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota BX23 for 100 acres

View my Photos
gdinius
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-30          101318

I'm considering a BX23. I have 100acres of brush, woodlands, grasses, some level, some hillsides. Got a lot of big brush to mow, lots of holes and trenches to dig and some amount of dirt to move, trees to drag, rocks to roll etc.etc.
Is the BX23 big enough, heavy enough, anything else enough to do what I need to do? I'm not in a hurry to get it all done.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
unit5alive

2004-11-30          101320

It wiil get the job done,but you should look into a bigger model tractor. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-30          101321

I agree with unit5alive. I love my BX, but you need more than that. B7800 at least IMHO. ....

View my Photos
Ironpeddler

2004-11-30          101323

I believe you would be better served with the Grand L series tractor. The L series will have more capacity and durability than the BX. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-30          101333

If you had two acres.... yes. But 100? Go bigger.

How big are the trees you intend to drag? ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-30          101349

Another vote for bigger!! You should be looking at the L-series Kubota, 4200 series Deere, or DK Kioti, and at least 30 hp. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-30          101351

Wow! I think I've bragged up the BX a little to much here! Just joking I have many customers enjoying the complete versatility of the tractor near 10 acres but thats about it. You would be getting a lot of seat time to tackle the job but which way would you have the seat facing the most and are you figuring on keeping the 100 acres mowed? Some of it woods? How much ditching and how deep? How much time do you wish to spend doing the different tasks to prep and how much time do you wish to spend maintaining it? Definitely I feel you should go larger! It's just how much? ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-01          101365

I know what's going on here. gd is going to take these posts back to the CFO to re-negotiate what tractor he needs. Glad we could help!! ....

View my Photos
botamac

2004-12-02          101452

I love my BX23, but I only have 2.5 acres at this time and it’s just the right size, but if I had a 100 acres I would go bigger,because the bigger the tractor bigger the implements you can get for it. ....

View my Photos
offtrack

2004-12-02          101474

I have a BX22 for over a year know and love it. I have just under three acres, and if I had a hundred I wouldn't consider it to be big enough. 7800 or 2910 at the very least. ....

View my Photos
WillieH

2004-12-02          101476

gd-
There are many different criteria that must be considered when properly sizing out a tractor. All previous postings take many aspects into account, except some very important ones:
1) 100 acres, Quite a distance from the nearest refridgerator for a cold drink. Sit on a few different size units and decide which will hold the most bottles conveniently, or, which unit may accomodate a small cooler the easiest.

2) How much time does your wife plan on using the tractor? Once she sees how much you enjoy it, she'll want to be on it - NOT you! Plan ahead, buy a large enough unit that your wife deems to be too big for her to use. Then you can spend all the time on it yourself, WITH her blessings!

Willie H. ....

View my Photos
gdinius

2004-12-07          101777

Wow, I'm overwhelmed by all the replies. Thanks to you all.

I hope you'll bear with me if I refine the question somewhat based on the replies received:

A good 75% of the 100 acres is covered with Pinion Pines. I only need to occasionally drag dead ones out of the forest for cutting and splitting. I have probably 10+ acres of sage and other large brush. I have been slowly (and I mean slowly) clearing this with a DR brush mower. Of course it grows back so this is never ending although it gets easier. As for ditching, I have pipes to bury and a stream to occasionally reroute. Some foundation building. All the other myriad of jobs you suddenly find when you have a tractor.

Any additional thoughts on the suitability of the BX23 would be greatly appreciated. ....

View my Photos
jamesrm1

2004-12-07          101794

I also have the BX23 and 2 acres and it is deseptivley strong for its size. My wife cannot belive how much I have gotten done. But just to traverse 100ac of land would be tough on such a small machine. A bigger tire would be more comfortable. Just another point other than the fact that a larger machine would accomodate bigger impements. ....

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2004-12-07          101803

I have a bx2200. Like a bx23 minus the hoe. I have about a 5 acre plot I use it on and am almost done putting in a 600' path over heavy rock wash out. Boulders the size of a VW bug! It took me some time and now that I'm in around the 550' mark from where I dump my piles of chips from the local services I wish I had a bigger machine. This is only 5 acres not 100. Keep this in mind. The smaller machines hold about a big wheel barrow of material so it takes a while if you need to move stuff a long distance. As far as power? If you know how to operate a machine which comes with time there isn't much you can't do. I've dug some serious stuff with this little machine. What it can't lift I can certainly push to where I need it. Some of these big rocks were harder than others but they are a very powerful little machine. I have 5 acres and wish I went bigger, with 100 you will more than likely have the same wish. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login