Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Quarter inching valve vs position control valve

View my Photos
zr1john
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-25          101044

Can someone tell me what exactly is the difference between the quarter inching valve on the B7800 and the position control valve on the 2910? You guys are making it sound like I am not going to like it already. I plan to use my box scraper, pulverizer, rototiller, rear grader blade and landscape rake behind the B7800. Will I have an issue when using these attachments??

I have a B1750 HST now and will be picking up my new B7800 HSD on Monday 11/29/04. How is the operation different from the position control valve that is on my B1750?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-25          101045

Hmmm don't recognize B1750 if its the same as a B1700 on a B1700 I do not think it has position control. It has, I think, just an up or down lever for the 3PH.

The quarter inching valve is a step up from the up down only 3PH control. You push the lever to the mid stop and it lifts the 3PH 1/4 inch at the end of the 3PH for each swing back to the mid lever position. Same for down but you push in the opoosite direction one stroke for each 1/4 inch.

Position control on the other hand allows you to move the lever to where you want the hitch to be. So you do not pay attention to up / down strokes, just where you want it.

View my Photos
zr1john

2004-11-25          101048

Hi Dennis,
I am looking at the original brochure I picked up at the dealer when I bought my B1750 in 1990. In the hydraulic specs where it says implement control, it says (position control). As I move the lever for the 3 pt the arms raise and lower. When I get the implement to the height where I want it I let go of the lever. The lever stays where I leave it and so does the implement. Is this how a position control tractor is supposed to work?
Thanks,
John ....

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-11-26          101056

The action you are describing is position control. Each position of the hitch has a corresponding position of the lever. For most 3-point usage, this would be preferable to the up/down control system, especially where you are wanting fine control like with a grading blade. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-26          101058

John,

Yes that is Position Control, both the quarter inching valve and the up only down only valve are much harder to use on things like a grader blade. If you use implements where you want to fine tune the implements height you will be better off with the deluxe models like the B2910 that come with position control.

I would go over to the dealer and have him show you a tractor with a blade on it so you can see how the 1/4 inching valve works, its really only a small improvement over the simple up down only valve. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-26          101064

The B-1750 is a position control hitch system. I would recommend checking the system to be sure you can operate it comfortably for the tasks you have. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-26          101068

Just for the sake of clarification, let me toss this in the mix.

If you have a numbered scale on the control lever that allows you to repeatedly set at the same position, for instance,you can set it to "6" and the implement goes to the same position each time.... that is position control.

If your lever just says 'up' and 'down' and you must return the lever to a neutral setting to make the hitch stop moving.... that is NOT position control.

That 1/4 inching valve is a variation on the up-down or what I call a stop/drop hitch. It allows you to 'bump' it up or down in small increments, but you still have to swivel around and eyeball each setting to see if it is where you want it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-26          101073

That comment about swivelling around to eyeball the implement reminded me I should share a solution we came up with for this very problem.

In the course of working CUT's everyday, all day, you do a lot of turning around. To the occasional user this is not a problem, after 10 hours straight the novelty wears off. Also, every time an operator turns around is one more moment they're not looking where they're going, and therefore one more potential accident.

Certain tasks require the operator to raise the 3pth and then return it to a *specific point*, not just down. Working with a rear blade, box or otherwise, or a mower, lifting it to clear obstacles for instance, requires a lot of up & down.

Most 3pth controls do have a moveable indidcator which can be adjusted as a stopper for the 3pth, but that doesn't tell the operator where the 3pth IS, just where it is set to stop desending.

I got the idea from the various indicators used on FEL's, but instead used it to show the 3pth position. I ran a 'push/pull' type of cable, the kind used for a manual choke, in fact I used a choke cable kit. When mounted somewhere easily visible in front of the operator, on the upright loader mount for instance, and the end normally connected to the choke flap instead connected to the rack arm of the 3pth, in near it's pivot point where the travel is short, and in the full up position, the 'choke knob' will raise and lower in front of the operator to indicate the position of the 3pth.

A scale bar or indicator lines next to the choke knob will tell the operator at a glance the position of the 3pth.

Depending on how much travel you set the cable to make it can be surprisingly accurate.

Stay safe!!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-28          101206

After a couple hours on my 7800 with the 1/4" valve, I decided I needed an indicator for the position of the 3-point so I wouldn't continuously have to turn around. The first indicatior I built was similar to what Murf described with a cable and a scale, but had some difficulty with the accuracy.

If you look at my pics 2 and 4, you can see the indicator box for the second generation indicator I built. It runs off a bell crank on the lift arms, and a link rod and crank at the box. The box is graduated in 1/4" increments. I can read a 1/4" movement at three point arms with this set up, and after some practice I don't even miss the position control. I can repeat the position of the implement by setting the indicator in the same position. The 1/4" valve works well for this. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-29          101252

Nice work! ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-29          101254

Thanks, a bunch of fun to build too. Beated whining about the 3-pt control. My next version will be electronic, with digital readout. Ceratinly overkill... but why not. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-11-30          101291

There are plenty of componets out there for you to build it as the newer farm tractors in large scale all use the same type hitch assemblys just different metering valves. Many of the newer tractors have the delete for the three point hitch(going to ruin the PTO shaft replacement buisness) as they are realizing they don't need it on all there tractors. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-11-30          101341

beagle,

I see the indicator and your extra hydraulics in photo 4.

Can you go a little further in depth about the indicator mechanism? I think I get it, but more info would help.

Also I would love a description and/or more photos of how the extra hydraulics work.

- JP ....

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-11-30          101342

Would you guys mind showing your 3 pt. gizmos in a bit greater detail e-mail pic is fine too!

I like both approaches and could adapt to my B7510!

That is if you haven't already applied for a patent!!

Dean ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-11-30          101346

The remote hydraulics are a power beyond circuit off the FEL valve. If you aren't familiar with Power Beyond Circuits, visit the Princehydraulics website and look in the SCV valve manuals. There is a rough schematic there that is pretty straight forward. I use the rear remotes for the rear top-n-tilt, and a hydraulic dump wagon. Really came in handy plumbing the post hole auger this past summer, and moving and dumping fill. It is the same circuit that would be used with the Kubota remote kit, but this only cost me $250. I ordered the valves, hoses, fittings, and plugs from Surpluscenter.

The Position Indicator isn't quite as straight forward. A bell crank on the lift arms runs a connecting rod to the slide indicator. Like I said earlier, this was a second generation indicator, the first being set up with a linear cable. The second set up has a lot better accuracy.
The first set up took about 10hrs to build, the second took about 40hrs. Combine the 1/4" valve with this indicator, and I don't miss position control. ....

View my Photos
tommyp61

2009-07-14          164026

I got tired of turning around, to see exactally where the 3 point was , so I mounted a mirror, aimed where I could see
the impliment touch the ground. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login