Go Bottom Go Bottom

New owner 95 Kubota L4200 for me

View my Photos
jyaeks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-06          73250

I hope you pro's can help me with some advice.
I have 6 acres of heavy woods. I'm looking for a tractor heavy enough to move logs and dig/pull up stumps, light bushogging, Not planning on any heavy digging, but would like the ability to scrape and minor digging. I looked at a '95 L4200 4x4 with loader. 970 hours, front tires about 15% back about 40%. small unlighted canopy. The dealer is asking $12,500, which seems reasonable. Is this a good tractor for my needs? What do I need to look for and watch out for when shopping for a used tractor?
Thanks for any input!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-06          73252

I think it would handle what you want to do and have you looking for more! ....

View my Photos
jyaeks

2004-01-06          73253

Thanks Art. How about these tires? (they are industrials)How expensive are they? Where do you shop for the best deal on tires? Think there's any chance to the dealer would replace them as part of the deal, or do they not get distribution pricing on rubber? ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-06          73258

I only have two observations.

First, I would seriously question why the machine has such little tire tread left with so few hours on it, maybe my operators are a little more careful, but at a 1000 hours our tires still look pretty good.

Secondly I would point out that stumps are probably the biggest single cause of fatal failures with tractors.
The ability to abuse a machine more in short time is greater with that one single task than any other.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-06          73272

I wondered before if you might be comparing the tires to ag tires for cleat height? What I try to do with tires especially when there still is wear left is to make a deal to replace the tires at later date. Maybe at this time to look at an offer from the dealer to change them at 1/2 price when they are worn out. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-01-07          73357

Murf, your comment that stumps are biggest source of "fatal failures" is scary. I like to pull stumps with my JD 4310 with 47 BH. What kind of failures would you call "fatal"? I thought this equipment is meant to take this type of work. Are there ways to be more careful when pulling stumps?

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-01-07          73360

Using a tractor to remove stumps I would say is ok for the tractor, BUT the manner in which the stumps are being removed could cause some issues. If you take your time and don't abuse the machine, I think the tractor should be fine. It's when you get into abusing the machine, jerking stumps with a chain, trying to pull a large stump out in one bite, etc. Any task can be harmful to a tractor if propper care is not taken. Patience and time will save a great deal of wear and tear on the machine. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-07          73381

The biggest problem seems to result from a lack of patience on the part of the operator.

At first a little digging is fine, but soon enough "Tim Taylor Syndrome" seems to set in. Slow methodical digging and picking a roots gives way to "The Big Jerk" method and soon the front end of the CUT is dangling in the air as the operator tries to 'snatch and jerk' the stump out of the ground. It is at this point that either the bolts that hold the motor to the bell housing, or the bell housing itself, or both, let go and the tractor snaps in two.

The big chain around the stump and connected to the drawbar is only marginally less stressful on a CUT.

There is really only one way any machine will remove a stump QUICKLY, by good old-fashioned brute force, that is the worst thing to attempt with any CUT.

My full-sized TLB (pic. # 3) weighs 20,000 pounds and it still has to work to pull out a 8" stump, my big excavator (pic. # 4) takes out a 24" stump with out beaking a sweat, but it weighs 40 tons.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-07          73384

Ease (or difficulty) of pulling stumps also depends on the tree type. Many trees like the northern jackpine here has its roots mostly near the surface. I can easily push a 8" jackpine over with the FEL, back up, hook the root ball with my bucket and lift the whole thing out. BUT if I try it on the same size aspen with deeper roots, I can't pull it out with the bucket, not even close. Bigger hardwoods and other deep rooted trees would be proportionally more difficult. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-01-07          73414

I would definitely have to agree with shortmagnum's last comment. I have made a pretty good mess of a rather large area trying to get some small locus stumps out. But a +/-16" pine stump that had an assist from Isabel came right out.

Grinder had some good points in the linked post on a similar subject. I think my philosophy will be give it one or two easy test pushes and if it looks solid, leave for a stump grinder, or just leave it.

I saw a photo of a historical stump puller. Basically a really big wheel, turning a small shaft used as a winch, mounted above the stump on a portable frame that lifted the stump straight up after they got a rope under it. I'd love to adapt that concept to a pto powered, portable rig. ....

Link:   Small Stump Suggestions?

View my Photos
jyaeks

2004-01-09          73541

I'm certainly gaining the wisdom of all your collective experience here. I anticipate many stumps beyond what this tractor can handle, and will stick to protecting the tractor. I had a contractor stand his big crawler on end trying to push over some of these.
Ended up digging around them to push them up.
So how's this price sound $12,500? With possible need for rubber in a year? (Thanks for the negotiating suggestions as well) ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-01-09          73544

jyaeks, It's difficult to for any of us judge the value of a used tractor when we can't see it or try it. I would look at ebay often to get an idea of what it's worth. For instance today there is a '97 L3600 with FEL and 600 hrs that sounds pretty dented up. The bidding is up to 11K.

As far as the tires are concerned, I would consider the 15% fronts to be worn out if I was looking to buy a used tractor.
Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login