Go Bottom Go Bottom

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
retcol
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-03-16          140460

I have prices on a L4330 with a Westendorf loader and a L3940 with a Kubota loader because Westendorf doesn' yet make brackets for a L3940. The L3940 is somewhat higher in price than the L4330.Is there enough difference in the 40 versus the 30 series to make it worthwhile? Also, I am also considering just buying a Curtis cab for my L3830 with a 117 hours to just get out of the wind and snow in the winter. The price of the cab is considerably less than trading. What are your recommendations?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-16          140461

There's a lot of life left in your tractor and a good cab can come off in the summer if you don't like it. It normally is about an hour and a half to install or remove. Do to parts twenty years down the road I like using the main manufacturers loaders. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-03-16          140463

I agree with Art, at 117 hours trading is going to burn up a bunch of money for little (IMHO) benefit.

To put it in perspective, my units often do 60 hours in a week, so your tractor has (from my point of view) only 2 weeks use on it.

As for the cab, we never even took them off in the summer in the pre-A/C days, all we did was take the doors and the windows that opened off the machine during the warm weather. The little impact the remaining parts of the cab had on ventilation were almost always more than offset by the fact you were in the shade of the roof.

Best of luck. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
retcol

2007-03-16          140469

Is it very hard to hook up electrical from the cab to the tractor? I was thinking of a windshield wiper, work lights and possibly a fan or a heater. I was hoping I could see some pictures of what the cab looks like on all sides of the tractor. On the Curtis cab web site there is only a front view. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
retcol

2007-03-17          140474

I just read last night that some of the after market cabs such as Curtis and Sims don't last due to rust. Have you experienced this problem? ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-17          140478

We haven't seen that as a problem on those make cabs. The paint quality seems to be good on them. If you are doing a lot of road work with any tractor you can have rust. The tractor I'm using this winter to clean my yard is a L-3450 that I sold a landscaper new that also plowed snow with it around his town. It has close to three thousand hours hours on it and the cab is fine other then a few attaching bolts and a missing floor mat on the left side and a couple of lights that are out. The rust on the cab matches the rest of the tractor for one that vintage with the hours that it has. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Murf

2007-03-19          140538

Because of delivery timing issues, they couldn't give me enough machines at once, part of my fleet is equipped with factory cabs, and part with aftermarket cabs.

None of the cabs are showing any signs of rust after plowing snow and salting on municipal sidewalks commercially.

To be fair though, the fleet is also professionally pressure-washed after each snow fall, and sprayed with a rust inhibitor each spring and fall.

IMHO, longevity and durabilty have more to do with care and maintenance than anything else. As the old saying goes, "Ignore something and it will go away.". ;)

Best of luck. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
daveinnh

2007-03-25          140728

I'd keep your existing tractor. I put a Curtis cab on our L4310. It's the soft door model with rear glass opt. & hot water heater. I also installed 2 lights forward and 1 rear facing along with a fan mounted behind the driver's seat. As Murf does, I just take the doors off in Spr/ Summer & early fall. It's certainly not as nice as a factory cab, but it beats being out in 10 deg. snow.

After wiring all these features, I see that Curtis sells a wiring switch center. (I had my dealer plumb and wire the heater, but after making modifications, I don't think it woould be too hard for a DIYer.

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
retcol

2007-03-25          140736

With a Curtis Cab on the Grand L 30 series tractor does it impact or affect the operator's ability to check the transmission fluid level or add transmission fluid? ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-26          140746

I was waiting for an owner to reply but here is my feelings on it. I don't see any way that it would interfer with the oil check or fill from the cab for the rear end. ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
retcol

2007-03-26          140761

In order to install the cab on the tractor , do I need to drill any holes in the fenders or the platform? Do I need to remove the assist handles on the fenders? ....

L4330 vs L3940

View my Photos
Art White

2007-03-27          140790

I think I have to say yes to all the above but I don't have instructions handy. They are using more of the tractors original eqipment then they did before. I'd say about six hours but you might want to have some assistants and anyone with good tools can put one on. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login