Go Bottom Go Bottom

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Bostock
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-20          116692

Does anyone have opinion of this machine? I am considering buying one, but i can't get very narrow price range from dealer. I have approx 3 acres of overgrown field to maintain, as well as other typical tractor chores(i expect to use bushhog, post hole digger, FEL, etc.) I also noticed on HST that the PTO HP is only 27 - seems like a big differential....Any opinions (or suggestions) are most welcome. Thanks.....Bostock

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-21          116713

So far all those we've sold have been great. The hydro's PTO power loss is looks like sure disaster to the novice but for people in the know it most often is the most logical choice. For the size of your property you could also consider going to the B-7800. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Bostock

2005-09-21          116718

Thanks Art. I looked briefly at the B7800, but i wasn't sure if the HP (20 at PTO, i think?) would be enough. This will be my first tractor, and it's tough to get a straight answer on what HP i need...but it seems 24+ (at PTO) should handle field mow (some brush), fencing, occassional FEL. I need to keep researching - probably not buying until Feb/Mar. I appreciate any further input/experience.... ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-21          116739

The plus would be the lighter tractor for less turf damage and the ability to have a wider selection of powered front mounted equipment as well as mid mount. The lower price would or could mean an extra attachment. The B-7800 size often is equipped with a five foot brush hog style mower with one inch capacity. To look at a Kubota mid-mower deck for that model tractor you will find cast pulleys and a double v-style belt with a very wide back that have great life. To look at the pulley location the v in the belt is about equal to the same as the bearing height, this is far superior to other designs both in strengh and life. Not to say that if it was mowed often enough that it might not work for the task but. It would depend on what you are mowing and the conditions. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
ccsial

2005-09-21          116747

I love my L3400 HST. I think you'll find that 27PTO HP is plenty for anything you'll do with a tractor that size. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Bostock

2005-09-22          116752

I appreciate all of your comments, it's hard to find info like this locally - most farmers only know what they have and that's it (perhaps - that's the secret to tractor happiness :)

I would like to get the machine that can handle my tasks, without overbuying. I also don't want to buy too small and then wish for something else after 6 months. If my tasks don't change (let's assume, because none of us ever really knows), it sounds like the b7800 can handle the 3 acre rough field, and it's light enough to MMM my clean&green. (and Art points out the quality of the MMM deck system). You guys are making it tough! ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
orangefwd

2005-09-22          116779

I think that when comparing two similar tractors, more HP is always better, however you are comparing two different tractors. It is surely true that the B will handle a three acre field with ease. I have an L3400 HST and love it. However, I am sure that the B would be more manueverable. It seems that size and manuverability are bigger issues here than HP. Decisions, decisions... ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Bostock

2005-09-23          116796

orangefwd - you are correct. Manueverability will be very important. If the HP on that will handle my jobs, i would prefer to have the more nimble machine. As i have not owned a tractor before, perhaps that is where i need more education - what HP for what applications. Dealers are not always the most helpful, they tend to default their answers to "lets go a little bigger...". If you can suggest appropriate HP (for fencing, hogging, moving an occassional stone with a FEL, possibly pushing some light snow), it will help in my search. The dealers have been suggesting approx 30hp (engine), but from what i am learning here it sounds like i do not need as much. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
orangefwd

2005-09-23          116823

I cannot attest to all of your applications, but I can tell you that prior to the L3400, I owned a Cub Cadet 17hp tractor. This machine had 2wd and turf tires but could brushog saplings in excess of 1" wide with ease using a 4ft model. The B7800 will probably handle a 5 foot brushog easily and there is the benfit of being able to use a mid mount mower. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Mark in Virginia

2005-09-24          116837

I am considering purchasing the 7510HST.
Price is 13,900 (36 mo. 0% financing)
I have 11 acres with a 1,000 foot drive (paved)
Like the idea of Turf tires for yard mowing.

Any suggestions? ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
tekdivergeil

2005-09-25          116860

The two most common mistakes people make when buying a tractor are:
1) purchasing on price primarily
2) buying too small.

If you are torn between two or three tractors, buy the largest/strongest you can afford that will physically fit on your property. You will almost never hear anyone say they wish they had bought less tractor, but you often hear people say they wish they had bought more. Ask your dealer the story on each used tractor on his lot, and it is a stone guarantee that at least 80% of them were traded in for more tractor, 10% for a straight replacement on a worn out unit, 5% no longer need a tractor, <5% getting a smaller unit. Personally, I prefer a gear transmission, it is more reliable and gets more hp to the PTO. If you are torn between the 7800 and 3400, get the 3400 and save $2,900 by getting the gear tranny. You won't be sorry. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
tekdivergeil

2005-09-25          116861

Power requirements:

Typically (you will hear of people using less power for these applications, but it is not recommended, and most will not be happy with performance, as well as it falls under the heading of "abuse" to the tractor) you need 5hp per foot of brush hog, 3.5 hp per foot of finish mower, 20 hp per foot diameter on a post hole auger, 6hp per foot of rototiller (these are at the PTO). Pushing snow, hp is not a factor, as the bucket is fit to the individual tractor, and will lift when full of snow. The limiting factor here is traction (read that as weight and 2wd v 4wd). ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Art White

2005-09-25          116901

One of the things that are critical for long engine life is running the engine at it's proper operating temp. That doesn't mean for just five minutes at a time either! It is best for a tractor to have a run of an hour or two at a minimum from time to time. To larger of a tractor often means extra problems from not operating enough. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Bostock

2005-09-25          116902

That makes sense - also true with any engine (that depends on a cooling system).

With regards to longevity/dependability, do you have opinion on HST vs. gear? Again - i am new to the tractor world, but intuition (and postings) tells me the gear tranny is a more logical choice....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Archdean

2005-09-25          116903

If I had the time to write a book for those landowners that have around 10 acres or less I would conclude that for you as well as myself I would flat out recommend the Kubota B 7510..HST You will love it and never look back...................It's what I have, nuff said!

See my pics at the left and feel free to ask any question that you might have and in return you can be sure to receive the most biased answer possible!! ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-10-13          117829

I purchased a used B 2710 about 3 years ago for mostly mowing. My dealer recommened it over an L model for the HST and power steering so my wife could use it. By far for mowing the HST is the way to go if you have trees or such or just to slow down to turn and try not to cut the grass. The first tractor I ever bought the dealer talked me out of turf tires and let me test normal farm tires on his turf. He point was the front tires turning does the tearing and he was right. My B 2710 has industrial tires and they seem to be a good mix of pulling and easy on turf. I also found the HST to be great for any work that requires stop and go such as using blade or rough cutter. Like the manual trans for work that needs a steady speed or you need to be able to turn using the brakes as with the HST that option is lost in real use or on my model it is. Two points I have not seen in these replies is...lighter tractor is rougher riding...does not bog as easy and if it does it easier to pull out...also less traction. If you buy HST be sure you use the right range and not just depend on the light use of foot control. ....

L3400 - any opinions

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-13          117851

For tight quarter work a hydro will out live a clutch anyday! Mowing is also much easier with a hydro. To have long hard pulls a gear would give you better fuel economy but for an occasional pull a hydro will out work a gear drive as you have no flexibility of speed changes with a gear drive. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login