Go Bottom Go Bottom

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
onebadram97
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-07          110815

I recently closed on a house this Friday and it has 2 acres of light rolling yard. I don't think I want to be mowing this for very long with my 22" push mower. So I've been lurking on here and at my local Kubota dealership, which is conviently 5 miles from my new residence. So far the best price he will quote me is $12,700 plus tax with the 211 loader and 60" deck. My primary use for this little orange peel will be mowing and snow removal. Seeing that the drive is gravel and 140' I would like a snowblower, but could probably suffice with the loader for now. Is this in the ballpark for my area or would I be better off driving around the state to compare? I know service will always be a selling point but just starting off with this being my first house, I wouldn't mind buying used either but he doesn't have anything as of yet. Basically I'm in the same boat as everyone else, just trying to get the most bang for my thin dime. Case in point, I havn't committed to the membership fee yet, so I can't read the long messages like this one! Thanks for any info you guys can provide me with. Oh the name of the dealership is Capitol Equipment in Dewitt Michigan if that helps with regional price comparisons. Thanks, Brett

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-07          110817

I doubt you'll be happy using a loader for clearing snow. It doesn't snow here much, but when it does the loader makes for a poor snow clearing solution. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-07          110820

I'll agree with kwschumm. Pop for the snowblower right away, you won't regret it, I guarantee. You'll also need a counter weight of some sort for FEL use. I went with a cheapy King Kutter box blade. It works good with the BX and didn't break the bank ($250 at Fleet Farm last summer).

BTW: Price sounds fair to reasonable to me. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-05-07          110823

Buy the membership.... it will pay back many times over.

Consider the front blade as a lower cost alternative to the blower. In terms counter-weight, or ballast, a pile of bricks on a $90 set of carry-all forks will do the job too.

See my Pics, #11 ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
s chrand

2005-05-09          110860

I bought mine last fall at Flint New Holland. 13,500$ - BX2230, FEL, 60"MMM, 5' rear blade, tax include. With tax, you're at 13,462$. With the cost increase for the new year, his price sounds right to me. For snow, I'll probably have a front blade before next winter. Rear was just a pain.
David ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
botamac

2005-05-09          110870

I have a rear blade on my BX23 and it is a pain removing snow check out front blade or blower.check out Aldermans web page ....

Link:   

Click Here

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
dark_star_superman

2005-11-23          119743

Back in May, kwschumm wrote "I doubt you'll be happy using a loader for clearing snow. It doesn't snow here much, but when it does the loader makes for a poor snow clearing solution." AV8R followed up with "I'll agree with kwschumm. Pop for the snowblower right away, you won't regret it, I guarantee."

I plan to buy a tractor w/ FEL (and MMM), and the primary purpose of the FEL will be to clear snow. Why do you feel that it's a poor snow clearing solution? ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-11-23          119744

For one thing, you have to drive over the snow a load and dump. This packs it down, turns it to ice and makes it difficult to scrape up. It packed down so bad for me that I couldn't get it up without damaging our exposed aggregate driveway slab (which I did). If you just drive forward to shove all the snow in front of you it builds up and dumps over the top of the bucket, or the mound grows so large you just can't push anymore and lose traction. If you try to scrape the snow with a bucket on gravel you can plan on doing road repairs in the spring since lots of rocks and gouges will be created in the road. If you don't have a good place to deposit the accumulated snow it will build up on the edges of the driveway and soon you won't be able to pile any more up. And it is SLOW. It took me almost four hours to do a 75-100 foot driveway and a 3-car driveway slab. Since we don't get a lot of snow I'm pretty inexperienced at clearing it, but I found using the bucket to be a major pain. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-11-23          119746

If you are using only the bucket of your FEL, it fills fast with snow.

If you have a long driveway and no rear blade, you can make one long pass down the middle. With the bucket full you can continue to push and it will spill out the sides. You then can make a whole bunch of passes from one end at a skew angle slightly less than perpendicular and push it out the sides and work your way to the other end. Kinda in a harringbone pattern. With a blower you buzz up and down and possibly take a 3rd pass and you are done. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-11-23          119758

If you get "inches" of snow in a season, the FEL will be fine. If you get "feet" of snow, then it will quickly become too much to handle. Blanket statements are never perfect, but I will stand on mine about the advantages of the front snowblower first, rear snowblower second, front blade third, then the FEL for snow removal. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
Art White

2005-11-23          119763

With snow blowers there are no banks making driveway visibility the best it could be! With out the banks on the edges of the driveway the yard drifting and depth in the immediate area of the driveway is far reduced. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
dark_star_superman

2005-11-29          120045

Ahhh... Thanks for the info. I see I have a LOT to learn. ....

Michigan BX 2230

View my Photos
beagle

2005-11-29          120077

I'm a Michigander and use a hydraulic front blade for clearing a 600' driveway, and several roads. The blower has it's advantages, as previously mentioned, but is slower than the blade. The blower also puts less strain on the tractor. You don't want to be clearing Michigan snows with the FEL. it's a PITA.

Last quote I had on the blower for our tractor was $3200. A little steep when the blade does a great job. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login