Go Bottom Go Bottom

implements

View my Photos
burtalm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-02          78566

I hope to order a new ck20hst soon. At the moment I intend to get the industrial tires, FEL, kioti rotary cutter with slip clutch. Also looking at a 3 pt hitch dump boxand a 1 bottom plow. I will be using it at my new camp which is on 6 acres of mixed woodland. Are there other "essential" implements that I shouldn't be without. Opinions wanted...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

implements

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-02          78567

In my opinion with your ground engaging implements and working in a woodland you may well be better off with R1 ag tires - especially if you have clay soil. R4s don't do well in clay, they clog rather easily. ....

implements

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-03          78588

Do you have a name or a link for the three point dumpbox?

Also: I think Ken is right about the tire selection, especially if you throw a plow into the equation. ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78604

The R4's are acompromise to accommodate the better half. She doesn't want me tearing the grass all up in and near the area that our campsite will be located. I don't expect to plow up a lot of land, just a couple small plots. The other consideration is that the soil is pretty gravelly and I don't think a tiller (my other thought) would work will in the soil conditions. Thanks. ....

implements

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-03          78605

Considering the fact that you will have to disk or harrow after plowing, the tiller might make more sense.... it's what most small CUT owners opt for.

Who makes the dump box? Is it a three point dirt scoop? Or more like a little truck bed? ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78606

The dealer is suggestine a dump box by Walco Equipment Ltd. It's all metal. Model 395 is what i'm looking at it is 10 cubic feet (10x36x36) and weighs 120 lbs. They do have a 30 cubuc ft. (18x48x48) and weighs 290 pounds. This model#495 seems too big for my needs and may be more than I should expect the little CK20 to handle. ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78607

Sorry I have no link for Walco co. ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78609

It is mor like a little truck bed.

implements

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-03          78610

Theres lots of 3pth dump boxes around up here. They are made locally (for the most part) by a local company called "Wifo" (unfortunately they don't have website), they make several sizes, rangining from about 2' x 2' up to 5' x 4' depending on what machine you want to put it on.

They are a 'conventional' 3pth triangle, then there is a 'U-shaped' frame that extends back from there. The box pivots to dump from the outboard end of the frame and the rear panel is half height and sloped out on about a 45 deg. angle, this allows you to pivot the box down to touch the ground then back into a pile and scoop with it. They have a 'tipper latch' similar to a garden cart.

If I can't find a link to one I will take a pic of one that somebody gave me.

Best of luck. ....

implements

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-03          78611

Is this the general idea? ....

Link:   

Click Here

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78615

Thanks Rankin, That's exactly the general idea but the one pictured is way bigger than what I'm looking at.
walcoequipment.com when searched comes up as a non active site. (only cached pages come up. Yjanks again
burt

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78616

Sorry, Momma always said I shud larn how to type bitter! LOL ....

implements

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-03          78621

Mark, that's funny, not only did you peg the exact item I was describing, but you managed to find the exact local manufacturer, Wifo, I was describing. It is a SMALL world after all.

They work very well and are really handy on a small machine. For a sub-CUT they make a nice alternative to loader for chores around the yard. They're also REALLY cheap compared to a FEL. My dad has one and uses it constantly, it makes a great carry-all for chainsaws, handtools, etc.

Best of luck. ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78626

Exactly my thought. It should make a great tool carrier regardless of whether or not I ever use it to carry loads of stuff I may want to dump.

implements

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-03          78634

BurtAlm,
There is always a compromise with tires. R4's usually are wider and tear up the ground less, and if you have 'gravelly soil' would likely be a good choice. If you have wet areas, or clay or silty ground to work, a tire that doesn't slip will do the least damage.
Will you be using your tractor in the winter? Plan to move snow, haul firewood, whatever? If you post your proposed uses, I'm confident you'll get a lot of feedback from members doing the tasks you might have in mind.
Good Luck with your new tractor,
bliz ....

implements

View my Photos
burtalm

2004-03-03          78641

My proposed uses are mainly in my other post. As for winter, I don't expect to use the tractor much in the winter as we don't winter camp. Therefore I'm not considering a snowblower 'cause I figure the loader can handle any early or late snowfall I may get at camp. Most of the soil is very gravelly. almost no clay area. and only a couple spots near a small pond where I have to worry about a big mud problem. Plan to move some more gravelly soil over to the couple of low spots in the old logging trails I intend to use as tractor trails through the property.
Thanks, Burt ....

implements

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-04          78731

Most people who have 3ph dirt scoops don't have loaders since they do much the same work and loaders do it better. If a rotary cutter is to be used for lawn mowing, most of them don't do it too well, especially if the ground isn't very level. I have two small vegetable plots and I use a small walk-behind tiller since it's faster than something on the tractor. For that matter I finish mow with a riding mover about 1-acre in each of two places. There are lots of landscaping and out-buildings. The riding mower takes less time maneuvering, leaves less trimming and does less lawn damage than my tractor.

I did use the tractor to remove sod from the plots first and occasionally use boxscraper scarifiers to break up soil deeper than the small tiller and to initially work compost in. If the soil is too gravely for a tiller then it probably needs some improvement for vegetable plots. Some rock-picking might be in order and maybe top-soil and compost but these are mostly one-time uses and won't keep a tractor very busy. The tractor is essential in making and using compost--at least the way I do it.

Tractors are pretty expensive to buy and maintain and it's good to keep them busy or at least recognize them as an expensive hobby. Using a tractor for jobs that small engine stuff can do better may keep you and the tractor busy but at an expense. You haven't mentioned any need for road maintenance or material handling. Such things plus snow removal keep my tractor busy enough despite my flock of small engine stuff. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login