Go Bottom Go Bottom

Repair Problems - Is this usual

View my Photos
OldSarge424
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-28          99376

I have a new 4110 tractor, 60” mower deck with a 410 front-end loader. With less then 50 hours and still under warranty I needed to get some work done.

1. The hydraulic unit on the loader was leaking and needed to be fixed. I was told it would be replaced with a new unit under warranty.
2. The mower deck will not go any lower then 6” above the ground, which is to tall for yard grass. I asked that they make the adjustments to lower the deck for yard use.
3. Turf tires puncture too easily. Green slime only helped identify holes for plugs. Upgrading to a heavier turf tire.

I contacted my JD dealer by phone and was advised they would be over to pick it up. After some additional calls, three weeks later they showed up stating they had employee problems and had to replace the driver.

4. I also asked that since they were working on the deck to sharpen the mower blades too.

During week five they adjusted the deck height.
During week six they replaced the leaking hydraulic unit.
During week seven they ordered and are upgrading the tires.

I should be getting my tractor back today or tomorrow at the end of week seven. I’m not even asking about the blade sharpening. Seems every time I talked to them they don’t bother to take any notes because every time I talked to them I had to repeat everything over and over again. Seems like my tractor was not on their priority list.

Is this the kind of customer service I can expect in the future? I’ve prepared a letter to send to the company but want to verify if this was normal or not.

Thanks much, OldSarge

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99377

There are many discussions in the archives about dealer support.

This should not be a typical response to your needs.

THIS IS MY THOUGHT! It seems the compact and mower "only" dealers have less concern about your needs than the big ag dealers who also handle the baby tractors. The big ag dealers understand quick response. I've had my little 4400 in for work during harvest season and Cazenovia Equipment did excellent with the repair time when they had big forage equipment in there waiting also.

Dealer support is everything when it comes to a purchase like this.

I'd fire the letter off to Corporate HQ. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-28          99378

This is not typical, my dealer, Rowley Equip. Co. Rowley, Iowa, who is also a large ag equipment dealer almost has it fixed before I call them. They've gone the extra mile several times to make sure things were fixed right. Best of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-28          99385

Sarge: I'm sorry for your problems with your dealer. It can be frustrating at times. Maybe each time you talk to them ask for their work-order number because you "need it for your records to log the call." At least then they will have to open up some screen on the computer, maybe they'll write in your requests. I've used this before with some success.

Opposite to Harvey's idea, my experience with the large ag dealers (in my area) was if you weren't spending $250K you weren't worth their time. Smaller equipment dealers are more likely to help the little guys because that is their market.

I hope things get better for you Sarge. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-28          99388

It is not unusual to get stuck with a crappy dealer. What is unusual is to have so many problems with a 4110.

Were those first turfs from the factory or did the dealer "wing it"?

What brand are you going to replace them with? ....

View my Photos
jedomon

2004-10-28          99396

I work for a JD dealer, we are a multi line power equipment dealer..Stihl, TORO, ExMark, Honda and John Deere through the 5000 series. the notion that CUT dealerships, structured like ours, do not have customer service as a top priority is hogwash. Our CUT sales represent a huge portion of the GP$ pie for us. It would be easy to make the case that the CUT dealer is motivated to do better on customer service than the ag dealer...but I wouldn't make that case because what it all boils down to is the priority that service is given by individual dealer management and the skill sets of the people they choose to employ... NOT whether they are an Ag or a muti line CUT dealer. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-10-28          99404

I believe your problem to be dealer specific. There are good dealers and there are bad dealers. Just like in the auto world.

At my JD dealer, the salesguy was great and went out of his way to help. The corporate staff that handle logistics and such suck major appendages and have no sense of customer service.

It's a shame that some dealers are focussed on sales rather than the customer relationship. The relationship is infinitely more profitable because you will keep coming back year after year for parts, service, new equipment, etc. ....

View my Photos
OldSarge424

2004-10-28          99424

These are the original tires that came with the tractor. I don't know what they are replacing them with as I have not seen the new tires yet. One of my concerns is if they needed to work on other tractors used by full time farmers that needed their work tractors fixed first I can handle that and understand. All they had to do was say so but I think they spent time working on lawnmowers, edgers and chain saws first. This was the first time I've had any repairs done and am quite surprized at their time frames and customer service. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2004-10-28          99425

Sounds like the issues you were having could be considered routine but the service you got to remedy them was really bad. I know my dealer has been great... One of the thing I have done (just my own quirk) is to provide a tick list of things I want done to the unit when it is in for service. This is as much for my own memory as for theirs.

As far as the tires go, I wonder if filling them with foam might not be an option for you. I don't know a lot about it but I seem to remember some of the other posters saying this was a sure way to end puncture flats. I have R-4s on my 4710 and have had no issues with them. They might be too hard on your turf though.

Good luck with the tractor service, it is kind of like getting married when you buy a tractor. You marry the in-laws (dealer) too.

View my Photos
OldSarge424

2004-10-28          99436

They said they put water in the rear tires but when the front tires went flat I didn't see any water around. Also, because of these hurricanes we lost a number of trees. With each tree comes an abundance of sticks, twigs, etc., helping to cause some of the problems with the front tires. Problem is they shouldn't be going flat because I've run over some sticks to small to pick up.

I'll know more tomorrow and post an update. Thanks everyone. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-29          99456

AV8R: I don't want to start any argument as to dealers saying you're not worth their time unless you have 250K to spend. Being in the farm equipment business is'nt for the faint of heart anymore. What with there being fewer farmers each year and there being several major competiors, (Case-IH, Massey, CAT, etc.), the customers coming in the door with 250K to spend are getting fewer and farther between. Most major farm equipment dealerships regardless of brand now have a seperate CUT-lawn and garden division and take it very seriously simply to keep a their volume of business. Frank. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-29          99461

No offense taken at all Frank. I didn't want to name brands, but in my neck of the woods a "certain brand" dealership is still hanging on to the attitude that the "fat and happy" dairy farmers will buy their products no matter what, just because Daddy and Grandaddy had one. If you aren't a lifelong multi-generational customer, you have to "pay your dues."

I didn't buy into it. Like I have posted before the relationship you have with the dealer is way, way more important than the color the hood is painted. ....

View my Photos
JD855inWI

2004-10-29          99468

AV8R: With all those dealerships being bought up by one owner, it makes it hard to go else where. I now travel to Caroline in Shawano. That's is where my neighbor got his 4210 and gets great service, 40+ miles ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-29          99471

JD855inWI: My JD shopping experience was: Wausau Dealer did not treat me as a serious buyer(now gone), Merrill Dealer was insulting to me when they found I wasn't spending $30k(now new owner), Stratford Dealer and Stevens Point Dealer (??? never returned my calls or spoke with me) at that point I gave up and bought the Kubota BX.

I'm sorry, I did not mean for this to be a JD bash, their equipment is top notch (was my 1st choice), but, the dealers in my area weren't helpful or good to me as a potential customer.

BTW the local NH dealer told me (very curt and condecending) they DO NOT and WILL NOT make a diesel sub-compact because there is no market for such a waste of time, this was in the fall of 2003.

View my Photos
reason201

2004-10-29          99475

I don't think they would have put water in the front tires. Generally they put the water in the rears as ballast weight. My assumption is you have a FEL and they put the fluid in to help counter balance the loader. As I said, I am just sure there is a foam product that you can have put into your turf tires that hardens up and basiacally makes the tire solid. If a thorn or nail goes into the tire... so what, it can't go flat. Might be worth looking into. ....

View my Photos
BrendonN

2004-10-29          99486

More on the tire foam topic: I know a guy who does concrete work and had the tires on his skid loader filled with what he describes as "hard foam". He said there is 150lbs in each tire (12.5x16.5's???) and that it cost $1/lb. He thinks it's wonderful that he can drive over broken concrete with rebar sticking out without worrying about tires. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-30          99519

AV8R: Your point is well taken. In any type of business whether selling tractors or bed springs there are certian dealers who allways sem to excell over others. Seems like the ones who are allways in a a slower more steady growth pattern that develop good customer relations, get the service work and the repeat sale allways win out over the complacent never change anything sector or the flash bang can't expand big and fast enough mega dealerships. I guess I'm fortunate to live in an aeria where most dealers are in the second class I described. Enjoy your day. Frank. ....

View my Photos
OldSarge424

2004-11-01          99595

I got the tractor back Friday and it worked good. All three problems were taken care off. The first two under warranty. They must have been quite proud of the Carsile 6 ply tires because two front tires cost me around $150.00 plus labor. I'm going over to Tractor Supply tomorrow and price those tires. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-11-01          99624

If that was the price for the front tires, it is a fair price for 6 ply's. The best internet prices are about $60 each plus shipping.

View my Photos
OldSarge424

2004-11-01          99638

Okay, that sounds good then. Other then taking a lot of time to fix the tractor everything seems to be turning out okay. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2004-11-23          100851

I know this is a little late, but in the Kubota Workshop Manual I ordered under "Tire Liquid Injection" it specifically says "IMPORTANT Do not fill the front tires with liquid."

Sorry but they don't get in to the why part.

They also recommend only filling to 75% full. A 100% filled tire in incompressible.
-JP ....

View my Photos
OldSarge424

2004-11-25          101049

Water in the rear tires only. Green slime in the front. Thanks for your observations. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login