Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
longspur
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-21          98972

I am in the process of buying a John Deere 790 with loader and rear finish mower, It also has Ag tires. I will be doing some mowing in ditch and road areas around my property and also moving stone and sand with the loader. Does anyone have some words of advise for me about wheel weights, vs counter weight boxes, vs tire loading?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-22          99011

BUMP ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-22          99016

What is a BUMP? ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-22          99018

After fooling around with various types of ballast, I have gone to removable, adjustable iron weights.

A couple of leaking/flat rear tires convinced me that there isn't much future in wrestling 200+ pound wet tires.

At least with removable wheel weights I can deal with tire problems myself instead of waiting for a tire service truck to come to my house.

See my pics for some ballast options. ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-22          99019

I don't know what "BUMP" means either. In my opinion, I prefer wheelweights and ballast boxes over loaded tires since you can lose it fast and easy if you don't need it. I like loaded tires for BH use. I have a tractor set up only for BH use and that works best, for me! If you are attempting to mow ditches or lanes you may also want to consider a sickle bar mower to reach down in the ditch. ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-10-22          99024

Yooper: thanks for the replacement chain. I really appreciate it! ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-22          99026

You're welcome! ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-22          99028

What is a BUMP?
DRankin
=======================
A bump is what we use on the below forum to bring a thread back up to the top of the page.
It's usually done if the original poster don't get a reply to his post.
Oft times a bump results in the orginal poster getting an answer to his question or at least a reply to his post just as it did here for longspur .
http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
longspur

2004-11-03          99754

ok, I got my 790 and decided to go with the rear counterweight box. I filled it with sand and also built my own little extension for it to carry some chains and tools around. I've been moving sand and gravel with the loader and all seems well enough. Thanks for everyone's response. ....

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
glalonde

2004-11-03          99755

About the ballast box full of sand:
I did not use my tractor for a while in the fall (because of basement refinishing project). There was a funny smell coming from the tractor (parked in the garage). The cat is using the ballast box/sand as litter. Guess I'll have to cover it from now on.

JD 790 soon

View my Photos
longspur

2004-11-04          99801

Oh, yes. I thought of the litter box problem. I have six cats and they will fill anything like that with crap in no time. I built a wooden box that fits tightly above the sand. It is made out of some 2 x 8's that I had scrap from another project. I put a plywood lid on the box and use it to store some chain and tools that helps add to the weight of the box too. As you may know, sand is one of the lightest filling materials anyway. Thanks for the tip. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login