Go Bottom Go Bottom

Smoke

View my Photos
Mike
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-08          9528

I have a JD855 with 225 hours. I'm wondering if it's putting out more smoke than normal... I know it's supposed to smoke a bit when its first started, but it still puts out some visible smoke when its fully warmed up. The smell of diesel smoke seems too strong, and it seems to be using more fuel than it should. Is there some kind of fuel mixture adjustment on a diesel? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Smoke

View my Photos
ARK

1999-11-09          9531

If you have not already, replace the air filter. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
dana

1999-11-09          9534

what color is the smoke? My 755 does the same thing, but i'm usally pulling it hard! Your only half way to a valve adjustment (book says 500 hrs) so that shouldn't be the reason. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-09          9536

Have you thought about the fuel. Its been easier for me to fill my 5 gallon can when I'm filling the truck with regular diesel. Decided to try the off-road stuff(red), I am not happy with it at ALL!! It starts harder and idles rough, smokes more, and definitely has less power. I'm glad I only have 1/2 tank remaining. I know alot of guys use it, and maybe I got part of a bad batch. What ever the case, I'll pay extra for the clear, at least for a while....then slowly try the red stuff again. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
John

1999-11-09          9540

Off the cuff, I'm going to say you got a bad batch of red diesel. The die is only there to inidicate it's tax free fuel. It should be the same fuel as the clear. We use it all the time with no problems (in vehicles too). Depending on where you live, maybe the distributor is selling some old fuel with the die, keeping the clear stuff for his higher volume. It's tough to say - I've bought a lot of bad gas before too, so who knows. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Larry

1999-11-09          9549

I have a 4100 and recently filled it with fuel from a local party store/gas station. It smoked to the point that I was afraid the EPA would come by and shut me down! I drained that fuel this weekend and replaced it with fuel from a truck stop just off the freeway. No more smoke. Bad fuel will cause major league smoke. Now if I can just get the smell out of my shoes where I spilled the fuel. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Mike

1999-11-09          9557

Hey, thanks for all the good comments. I'll have to check what's in the tank to see if it's red. I wouldn't know off hand, since I just bought the tractor and I haven't re-filled it yet. Even if its not red, I'll probably still drain the tank and try some clear from a reliable source. I hope its that simple. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Norm

1999-11-09          9565

Just to clear the air (so to speak). You should not see a significant difference between red-dyed and clear although they are not always the exact same product - off road may be the same, may be #2 fuel oil which has twice the sulfur. In any case, I would use a good fuel additive such as DEE-ZOL+, which will also lower the winter cloud point without the reduced horse power that comes with mixing #1. I used on-road diesel for quite a while before I switched to fuel oil out of my tank treated with DEE-ZOL+ (and increased the frequency of the oil changes). Aside from the lower price (including the additive) and greater convenience there is no noticable difference in the power output or smoke in my JD755. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-10          9576

I think the only thing "for sure" is the advise to buy your fuel at a location where it "moves". We have quite a few small stations with one Diesel pump, and I hardly ever see anyone filling. As compared to a truck stop. I agree 100%... off-road Diesel should be identical to "taxed" Diesel other than color. Just haven't had good luck with the red stuff.....yet. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Ted

1999-11-10          9577

There are several things that are "could be's". First thing to check is the air filter, if it's dirty, toss it out. Second, fill it with fresh fuel from a source that does a lot of volume. Third, try cleaning the injectors with a quality fuel additive for that purpose. Lastly, and only if the above doesn't work, send the injector pump and injectors to a reputable (ask a local equipment dealer who they use) pump overhaul shop. It will (should) cost about $50 to get them checked, cleaned and calibrated. I do this on all my machines every fall, in between 'leaf eating' season and 'freeze your nuts off' season, so far even the machines with over 3000hrs on them are still going strong. FWIW, the quality of diesel should be the same, coloured or not. Also, if you buy 'regular' fuel, keep the reciept, the taxes can be claimed back later, ask your State or Province Revenue people for the forms. Best of luck. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Mike

1999-11-11          9619

Since no one seems to be shy about using red deisel, let me ask another simple question... what's a good way to get it out of a large storage tank - for example a 275 gallon steel tank? A 12V electric pump? Hand pump? Gravity? ....

Smoke

View my Photos
Norm

1999-11-11          9623

I have a 550 in ground. I purchased a hand pump from Northern for about $25. It is made for barrels, so I had to put an extension on it with an air inlet for letting down the column. Then I pump it dry, take the nozzle off and pour the remainder into my 5 gal can. It sounds like a lot of effort, but after you do it a few times and get the routine down, I can do the whole thing in a few minutes without spilling a drop. I wouldn't care if it were a hand pump or a 12V, but one thing I wish I did have was a pump that self primed: I know that some of the 12Vs do but I didn't want to spend that kind of money. Without question, if you can get gravity to do it all for you that is certainly the best way forward. I recommend using an additive which will stabilize the fuel, increase its lubricity as well as decrease the winter gel temp. I use DEE-ZOL+ but this will be the first winter so I don't have direct experience yet. ....

Smoke

View my Photos
mike

1999-11-15          10126

For the record... Bad diesel was causing the smoke problem. I drained all but about 1.5 gallons, and refilled with #2 clear diesel. All but very minor smoke has disappeared. I assume the minor smoke will go away when that 1.5 gal. is finally used up with the current tank-full. Thanks for the help. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login