Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4000 series front axles

View my Photos
GHV
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-11-06          9471

Spoke with my local JD salesman who informed me that he had just returned from a JD seminar on their compact series tractors. He said that they admitted there was a problem with the front tires tearing up turf, and that they had redesigned a new front axle that eliminated the problem. The new axles will be on the new tractors, and he said they will be taking care of those customers who have been experiencing the turf tearing. Hope this comes as good news to all you who have been dealing with this. Check with your dealer for further info. Note: My salesman just returned from this meeting, so the info is new -- there is a chance not all dealers are aware of this yet.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry

1999-11-08          9519

I have watched your post with interest for two days now. I can't believe that you have not received several responses. Did your dealer say how JD was going to "take care" of customers with turf tearing problems? I have a 4100 that seems to enjoy tearing turf in the slowest of turns. Yes it has turf tires. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-11-09          9537

I would definitely appreciate if you could keep us informed. ....

View my Photos
GHV

1999-11-09          9538

mls,I had been looking at buying a 4600, but had decided to hold off due to all the posts that I had seen concerning turf tearing. My JD dealer knew that I was concerned about this, so when he returned from the seminar he gave me a call right away. I specifically asked him about what JD was going to do with all the tractors out there that are experiencing this problem -- as I easily could have been one of them. He said that JD would be contacting those operators who have complained about the problem, and provisions would be made for replacing the front axle with the redesigned one. He further stated that he wasn't sure if JD was going to do this directly, or do it through the dealers. I don't know what the time frame is for all this to happen, but if I hear anything more I will certainly pass it on. ....

View my Photos
Terry

1999-11-09          9541

I spoke to my dealer on Monday, he knew nothing about the fix on the turf tearing proble and then I called John Deere on there 1 800 number and spoke to a very nice lady and she knew nothing of this, but did seem very interested in where I had found out about the fix, she also told me that it was posible there was and it hasnt gotten to her department yet. I sure hope there is a fix, Ive also seen several posting on the correct way to drive, these people have know ideal how bad the problem really is, like making a fifteen foot circle going as slow as the tractor will go and the out side tire digs up the grass, I would say that pretty bad, its the tractor not the drivers. If your out ther John Deere I want my tractor fix asap! ....

View my Photos
gdr

1999-11-09          9548

please keepme informed, this has been a problem for me all along. ....

View my Photos
Tim

1999-11-09          9568

Hi Terry!I sent John Deere an Email last month pertaining to this issue, and told them that I wanted a real answer back, not a canned response that was generated by a computer. A very nice lady called me back and said she was going to look into the situation, as she had never heard of this situation before. I told her that my dealer told me the new tractors coming out had a revised axle on it, but the new axle wouldn't bolt up to the older tractors, and JD did not have plans to fix the axles on the older tractors. I told her to visit the JPlan site, and see all the postings that have been made concerning this issue. I am not the only one with this concern. I agree that a compact tractor should be able to make a 15' circle at a snail's pace without scrubbing the turf. I also told her that if they do replace the axle, I want new front tires as the rears still have the nibs on the tread, but the fronts are half worn off already. If it is a design flaw that they admit to, they should also take care of the tires. This is my 2 cents worth. I will also keep this posting up to date on what happens. ....

View my Photos
Terry

1999-11-10          9570

Tim I too would like new front tires as well, my right tire has got big dips in it from this problem, in two or three months Ill have to replace them, or someone will. ....

View my Photos
Randy

1999-11-10          9579

I would like to know if this "new" axle has been installed on any machines from the factory. I bought my 4200 in august. I have not experienced turf tearing as severe or the front tire wear that has been posted here. I have R4s on my machine and use it to mow. I also contacted my dealer and he has not heard of the fix either but was not surprised. ....

View my Photos
scotty

1999-11-16          10168

JD Dealer Oxford Pa Here.
In response to the on going scuffing problem......
All new tractors designed and built by JD Augusta Factory after 8/1/99 had a new axle installed on them that changed the position of the front steering arms and cylinders they also have different gears in the 4wd power-train to make the unit less aggressive. As far as when the new axles willl be available we have been told some time after Jan 1st 2000. Each Customer that has experienced problems with their front axle will have the opportunity to have a replacement axle installed in their tractor. The new axles will fit the previous tractors..as far as the tire replacement each individual dealer should be able to assist their customer's needs.
Deere & Co. has not forgotten this problem or your tractors they know there are issues in the field that need to be handled. Unfortunately they have spent the better part of the year answering transmission issues and keeping up with production. My advice is to stay in touch with your Dealer and keep them informed of your problem ...and remember any JD Dealer can honor your warranty issues so don't let them tell you there is no fix.... ....

Link:   sales

View my Photos
Russ Jarvis

1999-11-17          10183

I took delivery of a 4400 this last week. Beautiful machine. The mfwd axle has a date of manufacture of 10/06/99. This machine tears up my lawn AND leaves rubber scuff marks on the driveway (concrete) whenever the steering is moved away from straight ahead. The farther the steering is moved towards lock, the more rubber is left on the pavement. My driveway was starting to look like the approach end of O'Hare airport. How is on turf you ask? The turf takes a beating in any turn effort exceeding 'moderate'. My turf is currently in a very dry state (no rain in the past month) and IMHO suffered less damage than if it had been recently watered and soft. The front tires (outside tread) show distinct wear just from 3 or so hours of mowing duty. Tire wear IS an issue. My dealer has opened a work order with Deere to rectify this problem. I understand Deere is attempting to differentiate axle replacements based on type of work performed by the machine - with emphasis placed on turf damage vice tire wear. If I were using my machine more as a loader on hard surfaces, my tire wear would be astronomical. The front tires, judging from the rubber left on (in) my driveway, would not last thru 3 months of daily service. Unacceptable. I would think if there were enough dissatified 4000 owners to band together, a class action suit would be feasible if Deere didn't resolve ALL scuffing problems regardless of type of service. Thanks for the information all. ....

View my Photos
Terry

1999-11-19          10246

Russ after speaking to my dealer in S.C. I was told that tractors built after December would have the new axles, and axle to fix past tractor would be ready in January. I was also told that there was another fix for a similar problem, to agressive gearing for the differential in 4WD, and thats not whats wrong with mine. Mine tears the lawn in 2WD, its sounds like you have the same problem. Hope this helps, you may want to call your dealer and tell him what you have heard on this board. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login