Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
bmeyer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91372

I'm getting a 2210. It seems like I read that some of you recommend that it is handy to have a chain hook welded onto the bucket for lifting, etc. (someone even had a photo of this). I can't seem to find that discussion again. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any advice on putting on a hook or two.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91373

yes, hooks on your loader are real nice and handy.I welded a 3 sixteenth inch angle across top of loader then welded hooks to it. the angle also keeps you from bending the top edge of loader when pushing brush and things. pic 20 shows it somewhat fair. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
stevenc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-07-19          91378

TRUST ME,,weld them on the top sides of your bucket,,on my Deere tractor I bent the bucket ,,It had a hook in the center of the bucket,,(there must be a reason the Manfacture dosent put the hooks on!OH,,I bent the bucket) ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-07-20          91486

Hi, bmeyer. There are a couple of pics of my favorite style of hook installation in my profile pics. I had my dealer do the work before delivery. The gusset makes for a very solid point from which to lift. I agree that locating the hooks at the ends of the lift arms makes the most sense for balance and weight distribution. You could add a third slip hook in the middle to use for stablizing loads or as a single lift point for lighter lifting and transport. Regards, Pete ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-20          91487

Same thing.... only different. See my pics too. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
plots1

2004-07-20          91506

Drankin, can you move trailers well with that recieiver on the loader? looks like a dandy rig. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
stevenc

2004-07-20          91519

BIGPETE,,I didnt say at the end of the loader arm,,I said on the top edge of the bucket,,close to where the loader arm connects,,I think you would lose the temper of the loader if you welded to the arms,,be sure if you do put a center hook on, it is to only balance a load , otherwise it will "tweek" (bend) your bucket ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
TomG

2004-07-21          91531

You're likely aware of the difference between slip and grab hooks. Some people do use slip hooks on loaders but I think grab hooks are more common.

For securing bulky loads onto a loader bucket (or to a trailer bed for that matter) load binders are useful. Without binders it is nearly impossible to get enough slack out of a chain for the load to be really secure. Often a load shifts a bit during transit and the chain can slack even more. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
beagle

2004-07-21          91534

I like the BIGPETE set up. Transfers the load directly to where it belongs without stressing the bucket. That is a nice set-up. I assume you rig between both hooks with a balancer to distrubute the load properly. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-07-21          91536

Hi, stevenc. I meant the same thing you did when I said "...at the end of the loader arms." That is, where the loader arm quick attach sleeves are welded. I would'nt weld anything to the ends of the arms either. Also, if you use a gusset or reinforce the entire top edge you can avoid buckling the top edge of the bucket under load. I guess if I could do it all again I would do a combination of drankin's setup and grab hooks near the loader arm brackets. I like the versatility of the hitch setup, too. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-21          91541

What my picture does not reveal very well are the loops at the bucket ends.

They are drop forged steel eyes on 1/2 inch, machined shanks. My chain grab hooks swivel on the eyes and I center the load with the big hook in the middle.

The big hook/trailer hitch are backed with 1/2 inch steel plate placed on the backside of the bucket where it is stronger.

With the hitch ball in place, the tractor can pull or spot its own trailer (the 16 foot car hauler) and even haul moderate loads of trash and such . I haven't really pushed it past the 3000 pound mark. When the load gets that heavy... it goes on the rear hitch or drawbar.

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
pkinneb

2004-10-31          99568

bigpete where did you find your hooks? I went to the JD dealer today with a picture of your bucket but he said since his hooks were cast he couldn't cut them like yours. I really like the clean look you achieved and thought since I wasn't taking delivery until Wednesday they could do it and save me a trip to the welding shop. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
denwood

2004-10-31          99570

It sounds to me the JD dealer is less than competant. First saying you can't cut cast is a lie, maybe not with a torch, but thats like holding a butter knife in your hand with scissors on the table and saying hair is not something that can be cut. A tiny thing like a hook can be quickly cut with a wafer wheel on a 4.5 inch hand held grinder, a common thing in any shop. Secondly with the readily available FORGED hooks like bigpetes, I would not want cast iron welded to mild steel. Especially by someone who thinks cast cannot be cut. Cast is also more brittle and can snap where forged will bend before breaking. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-31          99577

Any industrial supply shop will have forged weld on hooks in various sizes. They will charge a fraction of the price that JD, NH or Kubota will, too. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
bigpete

2004-10-31          99589

My dealer was smart enought to say he didn't know the best way to fabricate bucket hooks, but said he had a top notch technician/machinist who did. It never seemed like a big deal to the shop tech. You might try talking to someone back in the shop if you can. If your dealer can't handle the job there is most likely a machine shop or welding shop that can do the work for under $100. Good luck. Edit: Forgot to mention that the charge on my work was part of my negotiation. It showed as a $60 shop fee and a $60 credit. I did pay materials and I think that was less than $20 including the hooks, plate for the gussets, and paint. ....

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
reason201

2004-11-01          99627

I picked my hooks up at Tractor Supply, I think they were about $7 each. I really like the clean look of Bigpete's gussets, my dealer used angle iron instead. I am sure it will work just fine but it just does not look as nice. (Not like I can even see them from the seat) Guess once you have seen what you want, if the final outcome is different, it just eats at ya.

Chain Hooks

View my Photos
Ardician

2004-11-03          99782

I got my tractor (JD 4310 with 420 loader) a few weeks ago and asked the dealer to weld on some hooks. He acted like this was an unusual request but was super nice and told me that he couldn't do it but that he would get it done for me before delivery at a welding shop down the street, with me paying for it seperately, which was agreeable to me. He was suggesting that I just have one mounted in the middle, because he was concerned that one toward either end would result in an unbalanced strain on the loader. I assured him that I would use both hooks together to distribute the load. Upon delivery, I had a hook in the middle and one on each end, nicely welded and freshly painted green. Also, the dealer picked up the tab for the job. The ones on the end are welded to the square plates which form the connection point for the loader arms, which make for a good solid weld. No signs of any bending after a good bit of heavy use. The middle hook will obviously only be good for lighter use. If I can figure out how to post decent sized pictures, I will show them off. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login