Go Bottom Go Bottom

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
aricsmith
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-20          88963

Hello, this is my first post here. I have a 4710, with a 7 foot finish mower. I need to trade it in and get a rotary cutter. I have about 15 acres that need mowed, mostly pastures, ex alfalfa fields, and a little lawn grass, etc. I'm also looking at doing mowing for hire for other people. My question is would an MX8 rotary cutter work on a 4710? I’m looking at a semi mount setup, as a direct 3 point would pull the front end off the ground. My dealer says an mx6 may be better, but time is money, so the extra two feet would be a big plus. Any thoughts or opinions would be most helpful. I just don’t want to buy a mower and it not work out.
Once again, thanks in advance

2003 JD 4710, 460 FEL, Frontier 1084R mower

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-20          88971

The attachment compatibility list on JD's website shows that either the pull-type or semi-mount mx8 will work on the 4710. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
Toller

2004-06-21          89045

A couple of times I've stumbled on the compatability chart and then when I next look for it....CRS. Can you tell me how to get to that page so I can add it to my favorites?

Thanks

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
aricsmith

2004-06-21          89046

I looked at the literature that John Deere has on the mx8 and 4710, and i think i found an error. They list the mx8 to be 84 inches (on paper), on their web page, its 96 inches. Seeing how its an eight foot mower, Id say its 96 inches. I see it also shows that the mx10 would work on my tractor, but that seems really big for a 4710. I will definitly be getting a semi mount. Im just concerned that in really heavy grass it will require to much power, but being a hydro tractor I guess i can go as slow as needed.... ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-21          89049

It is funny this post came up at this time as I just got off the phone with my dealer about this very issue. I just got my 4710 about 3 - 4 weeks ago, I did a little mowing over the weekend and was seriously considering changing cutters.

I currently have the LX-6 with the slip clutch option. I asked the dealer about moving to tne MX-8, obviously there would be a considerable difference in price. The MX would be a much heavier duty unit. The dealer said as long as what I was cutting was not tremendously overgrown, I should be ok with the MX-8. I am just trying to decide if I want to pony up the dollars it would take for the change.

BTW... I am mowing between 20-25 acres ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-21          89050

Looks like yet another JD documentation error. The JD MX,HX,and CX marketing literature lists the MX-8 as having 96 inches of cutting width as you'd expect. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
aricsmith

2004-06-21          89051

You and I must have bought the 4710s the same day, funny. I get mixed thought from dealers around here. Some say yes, some say no, some say maybe. My concern is will my tractor get this thing started without having to run it at full power and then pull the pto switch up (not good, wont do it). And yes, they are quite expensive....semi mount for me, I want to be able to swing it under trees, etc. You? ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
reason201

2004-06-21          89053

I went lift mount for easy of manuvering. As I look more at the difference in weight (more than double) and price (More than double) I am going to stick with my LX-6.

While I don't want to spend more time than necessary mowing, it only needs to be done a couple times a year.

It sounds like you will be using the mower to generate income, so that 25% larger width might come in handy. Either way I would think you could get the blades swinging starting at about 1500 rpm... at least that is where I think I am engaging the unit I currently have. (Tach needle basically vertical)

Good luck which ever way you go... let us know how it turns out.

Make sure whatever cutter you get, it has the slip clutch option ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
dsg

2004-06-21          89072

I run an MX6 with my 4700. It's good for anything up to 2.5 inch brush, anything over that is taxing the hp.

If you get a mower too large, then you will have to limit your jobs to light/med grassed fields. 75% of my mowing jobs are fields but I wouldn't want to turn down to many jobs because I didn't have the right equipment.

David ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
aricsmith

2004-06-21          89073

What are you mowing thats 2.5 inches in diameter? Small saplings, trees, etc? I only want to do pasture grass, weeds, stuff like that. Roadsides maybe, open space, smaller things. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
jedolson

2004-06-22          89137

For MX8 lift type, min size tractor is 4 cylinder 5000 ten series or equivalent...pull type and semi mount versions require a tractor with a minimum of 40 PTO horespower. As you know the type and volume of material being cut will affect horsepower requirements. You might be getting in to too much mower for the 4710. An MX7 requires a min of 50 PTO HP and is targeted for use on 5000 series or larger. The real issue is you will be running at the top end of the range of the tractor....so, maybe not today...not next week....but at some point and sooner than you'll want, you'll bust up the PTO clutch...its not worth it. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
Billy

2004-06-22          89138

According to the JD charts, the MX7 was the biggest cutter listed for the 4710.

Course that was a while back, could have changed since then.

I think the MX6 is the best match for the 4710, in general cutter use. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
reason201

2004-06-22          89139

Not sure I totally followed jedolson's facts and figures but I do agree with him on the fact that the MX-8 could push the 4710 to the limit.

I mowed about 5 acres last night, the growth was about 18 - 20 inches. I cut it down to about 4.5 inches. (All Pasture Grass) I set the hydro in A range and ran at full speed. I have the LX-6 and it cut great.

I guess one thing to consider aricsmith is that if you are at the tractors limit because of the larger mower and you have to mow at a slower speed because of it, are you really saving any time?

You might check with your dealer to see if he has units in stock and if he would let you trade up or down if you were not happy.

Again... good luck ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-22          89141

This is interesting. The online JD rotary cutter chart (see link) says that the MX-7 is NOT compatible, but the MX-8 pull and semi-mount cutters are. I guess the MX-7 is too heavy and is only available in a lift-type configuration. I was by the dealer yesterday and looked at an MX-8, boy that sucker is a monster. My guess is it would be operating at the 4710 limits. ....

Link:   4710 rotary cutters

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-06-22          89142

Argh, apparently the link is relative and won't work. You can find it by looking at the 4710 on the JD website and clicking on attachments. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
reason201

2004-06-22          89145

You are right kwschumm, the MX-8 is massive. (1600 lb. vs 1050 for the MX-6) Looks like an impressive unit though. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
aricsmith

2004-06-22          89146

I looked at the mx7, but in my owners manual, and the mx7 implement code, there isnt enought weight that I could add to the front of the tractor. The mx7 is to heavy, and its a single gear box cutter. My dealer told me it takes a ton of power to get it spun up. Looking at my JD 4710 literature, it says a mx10 is compatible with my tractor, that I truly dont believe would work. ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
Billy

2004-06-22          89147

Ken

I guess it's like everything else "subject to change".

I do remember the MX7 was the biggest on the chart and only recommend for the 4710. The MX6 was the biggest for my 4610.

I think, as has been mentioned, it boils down to how far back it hangs. Maybe JD figured out it's not good to drive a tractor on the rear wheels ;) ....

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
reason201

2004-06-23          89230

aricsmith,

Just a couple items I am finding...

The MX7 is a cat 2 hitch unit. Your 3point has the capacity to lift the unit as it can lift 2500 lbs. and the MX7 weight is only 1332 lbs.

It looks like HP is your issue. The MX7 Minimum Rec. PTO HP is 50. The Min. Rec. PTO HP for both the MX8 & MX10 is 40. (I am looking at pull type models for the MX8 & MX10)

Total weight for the MX10 is 2113 lbs. so you might have some issues on slopes as this is near the max capacity.

Don't know if any of this helps or just causes more confusion.

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
dsg

2004-06-24          89265

aricsmith,
Yes, Saplings and small trees are what I was referring to.
Also you may want to consider cutter width, in my state (Maine) you have to have a permit to travel on the road with anything over 8' 6" .

David

mx8 or mx 6 on a 4710

View my Photos
Chief

2004-07-11          90546

If you are going to be mowing for hire, I would strongly suggest you take a look at the Deere 609 or 709 rotary cutters. The MX cutters are VERY nice cutters and WELL up to most any task but if you plan on using it for hire, there is no telling what you may run over or into with the cutter. The 609 is a monster with respect to construction and steel thickness as compared to the MX series cutters. The 709 may be at the weight and power limits of the 4710. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login