Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Steve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-10-13          8746

A friend of mine is looking at purchasing a JD 4200 w/mfwd, hydro, and loader. I have read a few posts on this forum that indicates that the 4200 is underpowered for its weight. What do you 4200 owners think? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
doug

1999-10-14          8786

I have a jd 4300 and it has no power compared to the jd 955 that I should have kept. The 4300 does not work as smooth ( Loader) as the 955 and in general has been a pain in the ass to keep running It is also to heavy for the front turf tire size and cuts the turf when you turn it to tight. Find a 855 or 955 and sve yourself some money or wait for JD to improve the 4000 series before you buy. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-10-14          8787

My comparison would be between my previous 955 and my present 4400HST: They are entirely different critters and comparing them as similar tractors isn't easy--the 955 is a very fine lawn tractor whereas the 4300/4400's are ag tractors. Since the 4300 or 4400 weighs in about 1000 pounds heavier, it is more likely to scuff turf. In regards to power and handling, the 955 was more like a sports car--fast and nimble, whereas the 4400 is an ag tractor with less agility, but lots more torque. The loader on my 4400 is very smooth in operation, has higher capacity and with the ability of a very tight turn radius, it can do much more loader work in a shorter amount of time. However, with R4's on my 4400, I have to be very careful in turning to avoid tearing out turf in my yard. The lights on the 4300/4400 are far superior to those on the 955. The 955's 3-point sway chains and turnbuckles are (IMHO) much easier to use than the sway bars on the 4300/4400. The suspension seat of the 4300/4400 is far superior to that of the 955. The 955 didn't have a cool cupholder;-) While I like my 4400 better than my 955, my 4400 was an early model and had some problems which the dealer quickly and efficiently corrected. Each of these two tractors are fine pieces of equipment and each has its good and less than good points, but on the balance, my vote goes with the 4400. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Randy

1999-10-14          8788

I have a JD4200 with a 60" mower and 420 loader. It has more than enought power for the mower. I also will spin the wheels in 4wd mid range 1st gear. The loader with heavy duty bucket has lifted a heaped bucket of wet gravel with now problem or hessitation. IMHO the 4000 series is a dramtic improvement over the 55 and 70 series. They are heavier, a definate plus for loader work, and more comfortable. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Frank

1999-10-16          8825

The 4200 hydro does not have enough weight to stop its wheels from spinning when it cannot pull a load and never stalls from a lack of power. If someone thinks that the 4200 is underpowered at the wheels (not the PTO), they need to learn how to operate the tractor. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Mike in AL

1999-10-16          8842

I agree with Frank. I have a 4200 hydro 4wd with finish mower and 5' box blade. The mower has not bogged down the engine while mowing as fast as I felt comfortable driving. When using the box blade, the wheels would spin (in 4wd) before the engine stalls. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Steve

1999-10-17          8846

Some of the comments that I have read on this board indicate that the 4200 has a hard time pulling a hill in the B range - requiring one to use the A range, which is very slow. Any comments appreciated. Thanks. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Brad

1999-10-17          8851

As a 4200 owner I would agree! ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-10-18          8903

I have a JOHN DEERE 4200HST, and it has the 420 LOADER, w/6 Heavy Duty Bucket,and also have a 72" mid-mount mower deck, with Loaded Rear tires.So basically I have a very heavy machine. I do have to say it works greatfor Loader work in both A + B range, but I do admit, B range is a litte to much for driving around on hills or rolling grade while dragging a belly mower or especially a rear rotary mower. But as far as Loader work goes, this machineis great, and is also able to carry any load in A range. ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
Lee

1999-10-28          9209

I have a 4200 with a 72" belly and a 420 loader. I feel the tractor has plenty of power for mowing and loader work in both A and B speeds. I do feel the tractor is under-powered when it is in C gear and out on the road. I frequently road my tractor with the mower and loader attached and have problems climbing hills without easing back on the hydro pedal. Occasionally I have had to drop back to B gear and these hills aren't very steep. It doesn't sound like anyone else is experiencing this so maybe I will have to have the tractor checked out! ....

JD 4200 power vs weight

View my Photos
brett

1999-12-14          11021

I have a 4200 hst 60" belly mower it has no trouble mowing or bushoging in the a or b range but out on the road if you start up a grade you will soon run out of power in c range. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login