Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for advice-JD 955 won t start

View my Photos
KaseyT
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-14          86056

Thanks in advance, everyone.

My tractor ran great on Sunday. I tried to start it yesterday, and it won't start. When the key is in the neutral position, all the lights are on. When I turn it to the start position, everything shuts off, just like throwing a switch.

It did the same thing this winter, but it turned out the hydro pedals were not level and when I leveled them, it started. I assumed it was safety switches.

This time the pedals are level already.

The batter cables are new and clean and the battery is good.

I talked to the mechanic at the dealership today, and he told me I was wrong about the safety switches, that the lights would stay on in the start position if it were safety switches and that my experience last winter was just a coincidence. He said leveling the pedals had nothing to do with getting it to start. I don't buy it, so that is why I'm here.

I have two questions:
1) I know where the safety switch under the seat is, and it seems to work fine. Are there others, and where can I find them?
2) What else should I check?

Thanks!
KaseyT

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-14          86058

I know you said the battery is good, but have you actually load tested it? It may read 12.6 volts and still have an internal short that will cause it to fail under load, which would cause the exact symptoms you describe. ....

View my Photos
Mikef54

2004-05-14          86061

Hello KaseyT, What Ken Said! I had the same problem with my 755 a couple of years back, the battery read 13 volts, so I ran through all the diagnostic test in the service manual- all passed OK. Turns out the battery WAS bad.
Mike. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-14          86066

Check all of your battery terminal, block ground strap, and starter connections. You may have a corroded or bad connection in the loop somewhere. The battery has already been mentioned. ....

View my Photos
KaseyT

2004-05-14          86083

OK, the batter it is.

I already checked the cables, ground and terminals, all are OK and snug. The cables are new from last summer.

I will work on the battery tomorrow. I let you know what happens.

Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-16          86151

So, is she converting diesel to smoke and noise yet? ;o) ....

View my Photos
KaseyT

2004-05-17          86191

No, I had family come into town this weekend, so my wife said it had to wait. I just can't figure out some people's priorities! ;^)

I'll squeeze it in one evening this week. ....

View my Photos
KaseyT

2004-05-22          86584

OK, guys, one new battery later and it behaves exactly the same as with the old battery. Lights and gages come on when the key is in neutral position, then everything goes dead when I turn it to start.

I still think it acts like safety switches, but I don't know where they are, besides the one under the seat.

I will have to have the dealer pick it up unless someone here can launch something brilliant. :)

I can't afford to have it down much longer, and I don't know how long the dealer will take.

Thanks again!
KaseyT ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-22          86591

Have you checked and thoroughly cleaned the frame grounding strap/cable and positive connection at the starter? Sure does sound like a corroded connection. Check the seat, clutch and pto safety switches but that does not sound like the culprit from your description. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-22          86599

Hmm. Sorry that the battery wasn't the problem, I hope you load tested the old one before spending the money! I wonder if the ignition switch is bad? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-05-23          86625

Does the selonide on the starter click? If so Put your battery tester on and turn the key. Does the voltage drop to 0? If so I'd look at the starter/selonid. If not It is possible the ignition switch has a short, loose plug or go and look for loose connections in the small wiring harnesses many run into relay switches. Or as you have mentioned a safety switch it makes sense that the lights would not go out if a safety switch was not operating but the key might disconnect all that in the start position so you have full crank power. I'd check pto. Then look Under the tractor many times a branch will wiggle a switch wire. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-05-23          86631

I'd try Harvey's ignition switch idea. If the aux circuit contacts make in the on position and drop out in the start position it would do as described. All lighting, gauges and especially the safety relays feed off contacts in the ignition switch. Jumping the starter might get it going and also would be diagnostic. Maybe your dealer would tell you how to try that. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-23          86639

If you are absolutely certain you have good continuity on both ends of the system; I think Harvey and Tom are on the right track. It would surely have to be either a starter switch, relay, or a the starter/solenoid.

A REMOTE possibility is that the starter drive could be jammed on the flywheel and cannot turn which would exhibit the same symptoms as the zero voltage short you are now seeing but this would be a highly unlikely scenario. Try removing the starter and bench test it to confirm proper function.

This is NOT a plug for my dealer but call them and ask for Eddie or Jimmy in the service section. Their phone # is 1-800-726-7172. They are VERY good techs. and will help you out. (they have answered MANY questions for me) If it turns out that you need a part, at least consider buying the part from them and ask for Ricky in parts. He will give you the best price on parts you can get......at least that has been my experience. (I have purchased MANY from them) Tell them Randy sent you.

If anyone can help you out, I am sure these guys can. I am assuming that your local John Deere dealer has been of no help with the above offer. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-05-23          86655

I did not high light it BUT B4 I spent any more money. I'd recheck safety switches and plug in connections for the switches. I'd even use a jumper wire across them. A contnuity tester will also show if your switches are good. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-05-23          86666

There are two safety start switches on your tractor. The one on the hydro linkage is kind of tricky to get to. it is inside the right hand frame on the lever coming out of the side of the hydro. The other one is kind of under the seat area on the left hand sideof the transaxle. that one is for the pto. Is the pto lever pulled all the way back? another item that is a potential problem is the ground strap on the right front engine mount. I have seen these break or come loose. You can test this by connecting a jumper cable between the engine block and the frame. Since the engine is mounted on rubber, this cable is the only way for the starter and the alternator to get a ground. Sometimes when this cable breaks, it will fry the throttle cable trying to ground through it. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
KaseyT

2004-05-23          86668

Thanks, everyone, that is a boatload of good suggestions. Unfortunately, it was not any of the really simple ones.

I'm going to pull in someone a little more mechanically inclined than me to give me a hand with some of these suggestions.

I'll let you know what it turns out to be.

KaseyT ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-05-23          86670

Belay the "clutch" safety switch thing........had my head up my arse and was still thinking about the 1070 post I was answering. ;o) ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-05-24          86700

If indicator lights go out when trying to crank the engine its usually an indication of one of two things. 1) Battery not providing any amps when called - you already checked this. 2) Starter motor requiring too much juice. It sounds like you may have a bad starter motor and or circuit. To check this put a heavy duty ammeter in the starter circuit, if you attempt to crank the engine and you see many amps being drawn then you know you have a starter motor problem. If not you can go back to saftey relays. I would isolate the starter motor and see if you can get it to turn independently. You could spend an awful amount of time trying to isolate a saftey switch problem that doesn't exist. ....

View my Photos
KaseyT

2004-05-26          86942

I promised a follow-up when it was running.

The gentleman who came out to help me showed me where the safety switch on the hydro is. We jumped it and it started. My original guess was right despite being told vehemently by the dealer mechanic it could not be the safety switch. Oh, well.

So I'm up and running and ordering a new switch.

Thanks, guys, for your help.

KaseyT ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-26          86943

Thanks for the follow up. It still seems odd that a safety switch would cause everything electrical to shut down, but I guess now we all know it can happen. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-05-26          86961

I don't think it is the safety switch that is causing the lights not to work. Some ignition switches do not keep the contacts engaged for accessories in the crank mode. If you would actually pay attention to the indicator lights when cranking, I think you would find many of them go out while cranking. ....

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-05-27          87019

The neutral safety switch activator arm is a common problem
because it is hard to keep lubicated. There is an extra-long zerk on it (JD5814, I think), but it seems to often get broken off. There are also 2 exposed bearings that are supposed to slide inside a V-slot in the HST control. They
get NO lube, so they eventually stop turning. The symptom is your go pedals don't like to stay in neutral, which was mentioned. You can remove this arm pretty easily by removing the 13mm pivot bolt, accessible through a hole conveniently place in the right side frame. ....

View my Photos
Lozroyce

2013-06-04          187206

I know this was posted years ago but I was hoping to get some advice. I just purchased a JD 955 from an auction that stated the tractor overheated and won't start. I take delivery of it tomorrow what do you recommend me looking at first? The tractor turns over but will not start. How do I know if its a head gasket or a total rebuild? It has 1600 hours and was maintained by the city. Any help will be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-04          187210

I would begin with a careful inspection of the tractor. Of course check fluids for level and contamination. Also look for any sign of cracked head, block and injector pump. Check the air intake to be sure it is clear. There was a reason for it to overheat and a reason it cut off. May be it did cut off totally due to the overheating and then might not. Any idea how they knew it over heated and any idea how hot it really got? ....

View my Photos
greyhorse

2013-06-04          187214

Besides looking for contaminants in the coolant and oil I would do a compression test. Let us know the results. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2013-06-04          187215

If it turns over it should run some way shape or form. Might not be pretty.

As KT said check fluids. Me I do not have very much confidence in the quality of most public paid employees.

I'd check the fuel level and fuel system some dumb SOB could have shut off the valve. Who Knows? ....

View my Photos
boscos

2013-06-04          187217

If you do the compression test, should one of the cylinders be reading low, remove the tester and pour a shot of oil in the cylinder and retest, if the reading goes up then rings / scored walls are the likely problem otherwise the valves/head are bad. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2013-06-04          187218

1. Get a complete shop manual. I prefer the shop manual on CD. That way you can print out each task, take out to the tractor and not worry about getting greasy finger prints on it.

2. As already mentioned, check the fluids. Look at the oil....is there coolant in the oil. Is there oil in the coolant (radiator)? If not.

3. Change ALL of the fluids and filters.

4. Check the charge on the battery. This would be a great time to clean up the battery area and ensure the terminals are clean. Removed the battery and check behind it for corrosion on the oil cooler if it is mounted close to the battery. Another thing to check is to ensure all of the safety switches/operator presence systems are working properly so when you attempt the start, these will not be a problem.

5. If you found coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant, chances are IF you are lucky, the cylinder head gasket is bad or blown. If not, the head may be cracked. You will have to remove the cylinder head to inspect for cracks as well as checking it for being flat and true (no warpage. Also check the cylinder bores for damage. (gouges, scratches, rust pitting, etc.) If damaged much beyond a small scratch, you will likely have to at least hone the cylinder. If the cylinders show damage, this will require removal of the pistons for inspection. (one thing leads to another.....at this point a rebuild may be worth considering)

6. Presuming you found no signs of damage and the fluids all looked good, you have replaced ALL the fluids & filters, and the battery is cleaned up & good to go.....you are ready to attempt a start.

a. Attempt the start. Does it start up? If not, are you at least getting gray smoke?

b. If you are getting good gray smoke on the start attempt but no start or stumbling while intermittently firing, you might try and small shot of ether to help it along while cranking. Hopefully this will be enough to help it start. TAKE IT EASY with the ether. Just a little (1 or 2 second shot while cranking).

7. If the engine does start. As Harvey mentioned, if there was some type of problem, like a dead cylinder or other problem, the engine will not sound real happy to be running. A dead cylinder could be something as simple as a bad or dirty injector. Remove them all and have them pop tested, balanced, and cleaned if needed. It could also be a bad pump. Best to try to get it running first and THEN we can assess what conditions need to be looked at and corrected.

Good Luck! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-05          187231

In reading the others recommendations and all great one thought came to my mind..and Chief covered it but look at fuel carefully. Something beside "clean" diesel may be in there. Might have been a mix up on what was last put in there or could be contaminated fuel. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login