Go Bottom Go Bottom

Overjoyed with JD4310 - Even With Small Acreage

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-13          85979

Although I only have 2 acres, I have had a ball so far with my JD4310 HST, 430 loader, 47 Backhoe. In 1 1/2 years I have 240 hours on it. I have a) expanded a poolyard which required 80 railroad ties, tons of stone - fill and finished, b) used the backhoe to install 100 foot of 6" pipe with 2 catch basins in an area with lots of shale, c)transplanted 4 - 8 foot pine trees this spring, d) planted 20 6' skyrocket junipers on boundary last Fall, e) dug new item #4 pulloff drive to the side of my blacktop drive for my teenage son to get his car out of the way, f) brush chopped all the brush up from trees we cut or trimmed, g) brought 40 buckets of chips to neighbors, h)spread and raked some piles of dirt for a neighbor, i) moved stone walls and boulders, and the list goes on.

I have really enjoyed every attachment and the way the tractor handled them - IM502 bruch chopper, no name 6' back blade, no name 7' stone rake, no name 4" angle iron 3 pt hitch forks.

I have expansive plans for continuing to finish my yard, move stone walls, plant and transplant larger trees as required. I wouldn't show you the pictures today - but I have a plan in my mind for how it will look. Hopefully I can still find projects when I retire - I think I will still find them because there seems to be no end to what you can do with these tractors. My wife keeps ordering trees and bushes - so as they grow I have to continously move them as they get too large. I just need to learn more about the plants I am planting.

When people say that you you only need a small CUT on a small piece of property - I think it all depends on what that person wants to do. I am very happy that I purchased a CUT with 30 HP range.

Most people ask me if I'm retired and do all this. The answer is that I haven't gone anywhere on vacation in 5 years - I work at home on my vacation time. I find working in the dirt relaxing. My wife and I had our fill of vacations in the past - but we are getting our kicks doing this right now. Although the wife has expressed interest in taking off sometime soon :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-13          85987

The saying "size doesn't matter, it's how you use it" comes to mind :) Seems to apply to small tractors on large acreage and vice versa.

I've been extremely happy with my 4310 as well. My only (minor) complaint is that the 47 backhoe takes awhile to get on and off. I'm sure that will get easier with practice. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-13          85988

Yep, I think getting the backhoe on and off just requires doing it a few times. I am getting more comfortable with it now. Most of the job seems to be getting the backhoe to not lean back too far when you take it off. If you do, then you have to level it up b4 you put it back on. Hoses are much easier now that the seat bracket is on the outside of the metal support. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-13          85990

Even with the seat bracket on the outside I have to remove the seat to install the loopback hose. I need to talk to the dealer about that. There has to be a shorter connector than the one I've got. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-05-13          86005

One of the sales guys at my dealer has a kubota L3404 (I think) with a cab and AC. He used it to blow a 200 ft long driveway and cut less than 3 acres with a 84" 3pt groomming mower. He when a little crazy. He was talking about buying a kubota M the was on the lot for to long, to cut the grass. He is nuts. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-05-14          86021

This is an interesting discussion. I really do not consider a 4400 a large machine. It's much better than a lawn tractor or a sub-cut (I guess thats the term).

I have looked at bat-wing mowers for mine 9'-10' range.

I do not get a lot of time off during the construction season. So I look for any advantage to maximize my time off.

I don't have problems getting on or off the 48 hoe. But it is a PIA moving so generally I move from the hoe.

Ken the hook up is bad. You do have the 2nd hose? I can hook mine from the ground most times. But the crooked fingers with arthritis coupled with age (53, I know I'm just a kid to some of you :-)) do tend to get in the way of each other.

Bigger is usually better in many cases even if the old saying goes "smaller is better if you know how to use it". I think that was made up by guys with small things to start with :-)

C-YA ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-05-14          86030

Ken, I was able to install the hoses with the seat bracket on the outside. But it was still a tight area to work in. Like Harvey - I never move the hoe, leave it somewhere in the yard - but usually have to work to relevel it for pickup. I don't have a system yet since I haven't left it in the same area twice yet.

Harvey, I guess the outdoors work is a break for me since I work in an office all day long. I did lots of outdoors work as a kid - so its like returning to my childhood.
Its great as long as you can pick and choose the weather conditions you work in.

I also agree that "large" is relative. The 4310 looks small without the loader and backhoe. There is always a bigger tractor around the corner. I keep thinking I am young - but I am near you in age (51). Didn't know I was old until "itsgottabegreen" said he isn't old enough to drink yet. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-14          86036

Removing the seat only takes a minute or two, but I shouldn't have to. If the dealer can't figure out a cure I'll probably go to a hydraulics shop and see if I can find a different connector. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-14          86039

Ken, I agree with the 'size doesn't matter' philosphy whole-heartedly. In fact I just put a BFR (Big F--- Rock) on a lawn in a subdivision. My sister saw some of the field stones I have in my landscape and decided she had to have one too. When I asked her how big, she said "As big as you can bring me." So I asked the boys to keep their eyes out for a nice looking one and not to scratch it up too much. Well, a piece of Canada about 4' around appeared while digging a pond. They carefully made a basket hitch around it with chains and hoisted it out and onto the back of the big float with the excavator ahead of it. Before they new it the excavator was hoisting that hunk o' granite onto their lawn. They now have a very definite 'focal point' in their landscape.

Green, I have an L4310GSTC for my 4 acres of paradise and I don't even use it for cutting the grass. But then as Harvey stated, maximizing R & R time is important.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jedolson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-16          86158

have you tried using loader parking stands when removing the FL or is it a different problem ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-16          86161

Different problem. The clearance is very tight between a hose connection and the backhoe seat when the backhoe is installed, making it difficult to connect/disconnect the hose. ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-05-19          86405

Ken - i'm surprised you havent gone to your local hydraulics shop already. It will cost you no more the $30 to have them make you the correct length you need. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-19          86416

It's a relatively minor quibble. Since I don't remove the backhoe often and since it only takes a couple of minutes to remove the seat I'm living with it so far. I'll probably check at the dealer first next time I'm there. If they come up with a free fix I'll be money ahead :) ....

View my Photos
grassgod

2004-05-21          86489

True, true. I guess i just dont consider that option anymore after the bad experience i had with my old deere dealer. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-23          86671

Maybe I am confused? I think that the larger impliments get hooked up with the same sized tractors and the other way around otherwise it might break? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login