Go Bottom Go Bottom

Questions about Attachments

View my Photos
reason201
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85707

Hi all... I am looking real hard at a JD-4310 CUT. I also want to add the FEL, a rear cutter and PHD. My questions are...
1) Is there a heavy duty bucket for the 430 FEL?
2) Is there a JD Tooth bar for the HD Bucket?
3) Should I look at the MX-5 Cutter rather than the LX-5?

I want to go to the dealer with prices in mind, do the following look reasonable?

4310 e-hydro, 4-wd, front and rear PTO, R-4 tires -- $17,250

430 FEL -- $3,000

LX-5 -- $1,300 (w-slip clutch)

31-C PHD -- $??? Augers -- $???

If anyone can give price idea for HD Bucket with toothbar for the 430, I would appreciate it.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-10          85716

1. Yes, I have a 61" heavy duty bucket with a bolt-on cutting edge on mine. Can't give you the price since I don't have the price here but I'll try to post it tomorrow. I remember it being WELL worth the price. You may also want to have them weld some hooks on top of the bucket to use for lifting stuff with chains or straps.
2. I don't think JD makes a toothbar. Your dealer may have a source for these. Others have bought them and the prices seem to be around $250-$350.
3. I have an MX-5 and have nothing but good to say about it, but it's spendy. What are you cutting? If you regularly cut stuff that is 2" thick I'd go with the MX-5 over the LX-5. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-11          85756

reason201; I have a 4310 W/430 loader and MX5 cuter. Don't buy any loader without the HD bucket, if I remember correctly the HD bucket was about a hundred dollars more than the standard 61 inch. Unless your cutter work is all light duty get the MX5, you'll easily get the cost difference back in lack of repair costs or resale value. I don't know anything about PHD's, never owned one. I've also got a Deere 4 in 1 bucket on another 430 loader on my 4410. That's a sweet machine, kind of amazing the things you can do with the 4 in 1 bucket. They have a couple negatives tho. I don't know the actual weight difference but the 4 in 1 is heavyier to carry around, the total bucket capacity seems to be a little less than a 61 in. HD bucket , and they are a little pricey, you need the third valve option on the tractor plus a line kit to feed the clam cylinders. both bucket types have their place, If you don't need the 4 in 1 it's kind of a waste of money, but since I've gotten used to it I'd have a hard time giving it up. Enjoy your day, Frank. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-11          85777

My invoice doesn't have a separate breakdown for the HD bucket, but if it helps I paid $3300 for the 430 loader with the HD bucket. The bolt-on cutting edge was another $225. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2004-05-11          85781

I really appriciate the information... This will be my first tractor and to say the least, I am nervous about purchasing it right the first time.

I have 20 acres with a 3 acre pond that needs to be drained and deepened. Most of my jobs will be digging and mowing. I hope I am looking at the right unit. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-11          85783

Keep in mind that a loader is not really designed for digging, but more for scooping and lifting. It is possible to damage the loader by pushing off-center and cylinder seals can pop if you shock load them by ramming into hard soil. That said, a toothbar will help with digging and plenty of folks do some light digging with their loaders. For deepening your pond you may want to look at getting a backhoe or at least a box scraper. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-11          85786

As I think about it, deepening a 3 acre pond would be very difficult with a small tractor backhoe. You'd have to move the tractor hundreds or thousands of times. A box scraper would probably be a better bet, but maybe someone else has some ideas. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-11          85788

Ken is right, doing anything over 3 acres with a CUT definitely falls into the category of 'retirement project'.

We routinely have to create or enlarge ponds, even with a BIG excavator it is a BIG job.

To put it in terms that are easier to visualize, here is a 'thumbnail' of what this would inolve; An acre is 43,560 sq. feet, 3ac. would be 130,680 sq. feet, and if we take a tandem dump truck load as 500 cubic feet of material.

Then in this scenario each single FOOT of deepening will generate about 260 truckloads of material.

But we are getting a little ahead of ourselves here though, because the aver B/H on a CUT will only scoop about 1 cubic foot of material, so you would have to make 130,680 scoops just to get to that point.

And even that assumes your B/H will reach high enough to load a truck, otherwise you will be handling it twice, once to dig it, once to load it or move it.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-05-11          85799

The HD bucket on my 430 has the holes in the edge the cuttinmg edge of the bucket where it appears a new cutting edge could be bolted to, but I've got nothing bolted to it. Perhaps that is why mine was only like a hunderd bucks more than a standard bucket. Yes If you've got pond digging in mind you could dig a real small one with the loader but you need a box scraper to move that much dirt. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-11          85800

You mentioned digging a 3 acre pond deeper. That is a pretty good sized pond. If it is drained, I'd suggest renting a CAT D6 or D8, angle the blade and work from the inside out and plow the dirt to the outer edges. The pile produced at the edge can be leveled making a gentle slope increasing the pond depth by not removing any soil but just relocating it. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-05-11          85808

Frank, that is certainly where the bolt-on cutting edge goes but I thought they had to drill the holes when installing the edge (?) ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-05-11          85815

I just double checked and my bucket has a row holes drilled in the cutting edge about two inches back from the front edge. I'm beginning to wonder if the holes in my bucket are meant for digging teeth instead of a new cutting edge. I used to own a # 725 loader on a 7810 Deere 150 HP farm Tractor that had similar holes in the cutting edge of the heavy duty bucket. I got a set of bucket teeth form Deere that installed with one bolt for each tooth similar to what you see on a dozer bucket. That made an awsome digging bucket out of it. Just for the curiosity of it I'm going to check with the dealer to see if teeth are avaliable for mu 430 bucket. Frank. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2004-05-11          85830

I probably should have been more clear about the pond. I am going to have it drained and then when it dries enough I am going to have a contractor come in and use a dozer to contour the proper depth. I am going to have him place the soil on the back side of the current dam. I want to use the 4310 to be able to move smaller amounts of dirt to areas on the property for fill and leveling.

I think the estimate the contractor gave was moving something on the order of 25,000 Cu. Yrds of soil. Definitely not a job for the 4310.

My assumption is that the 4310 would work great for finish grading work around the 42 X 64 outbuilding I am putting up. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-05-12          85834

Sorry, I did'nt understand you were having the grunt work on the pond done by heavy equipment. That makes the 4310/430 loader a real neat outfit for your needs. A 3pt. box scraper will also speed things along when you get to moving soil around, and also elimenates the need to buy a 3pt. weight box for the loader. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-12          85850

Yeah, now your talking about doing it correctly. That machine will definitely work well for finishing it off. If you're planning to stock it with fish, make sure you have a deep spot somewhere that won't freeze to keep your little fishes alive in the winter. I'd guess in Neb. you could have over 3' of ice. Suggest throwing some stumps and other natural debris in for cover. ....

View my Photos
reason201

2004-05-12          85910

The pond is going to be a big job but I want it done right... Going to go to 18-20 feet max. with the majority being 8-12 feet. I think I am going to try to reuse some of the brush pile that was created when the pond was originally dug.

If anyone has any more info on PHDs for the 4310 I am all ears.

Thanks for the info so far... you guys are great!!!

John ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login