Go Bottom Go Bottom

kubota not so great

View my Photos
petushead
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-05-09          85612

I am sad to say I was pulled in by all the negative remarks and recalls with the John Deere and made the mistake of getting a less than perfect machine...a Kubota. My dad really wanted this awesome 4310 with a loader but after researching and finding problems with the ehydro and the fact that JD is made from all over the world, also the plastic hood was a concern..well...we went with the Kubota. He likes it but we both realize now how nice it would be to not have a clutch pedal to deal with..about that plastic..he dropped a rock on the metal Kubota hood 1hr after the purchase now he has a nice dent. We had to get pretty creative with are feet with the brake being on the same side as the foward pedal. He hates the rattling and location of the loader joystick....the JD location is much better....we should of spent more time test driving.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

kubota not so great

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-09          85620

First, I am sorry to hear to you are not happy. I know there is alot of talk about all the different tractors out there and why one is better then the other. I am just glad there are so many options and that we have the choices. I know what you mean about the creature comforts of the Controls and foot pedals. I did some test driving and played with the front end loaders and I ended up deciding on the New Holland. But I didn't think about the Spilt brakes and control pedal on the same side. But Honestly after driving a few different brands. I don't think it would have mattered. I still would have gone NH, but that was just the one I felt most comfortable in ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-09          85626

I am confused. You have the brake pedal above the forward HST pedal and you are having trouble operating the clutch at the same time?

I think you have too many pedals there. If there is a clutch pedal it is for engaging the PTO, not for driving the tractor. Doesn't your tractor stop when you release the HST pedal? It should. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-10          85634

the problem is when you are on a hill. I dumped a load of sand next to a pond and needed to hold the brake because the tractor would move foward even with your foot off the foward pedal. I had to use my right foot to hold the break as I lifted and dumped the bucket and then used my left foot to hit the backward pedal to back up..if not I would roll foward until I could touch the backward pedal or give my tractor a bath. If I had the JD I would just keep my left foot on the break and my right foot on the HST pedals. The Kubota has the clutch on the left, brake and HST controls on the right. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-10          85648

Sorry. I got the impression you were using the clutch while doing all that other stuff.

Yes it is normal for the machine to roll on a steep slope. I had a BX with a similar pedal set-up. I think I understand the tap dance you are talking about.

Try this: Instead of driving down the slope let it drift down on its own while you control the forward motion with the reverse pedal.

That way your foot is in the right place when it comes time to back out. It would also be a good place to use 4wd as I am sure you already do. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-10          85653

Thanks.. I will try it. I just got the tractor and so I am not that educated on all I can do with it. Do you know if this will hurt the transmission doing this? ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-05-10          85656

I'm too am sorry to hear that you are not happy with your tractor purchase. I think Deere is the only one that makes the pedals different. After having my Cadet for 7 years with pedals like the Kubota, I test drove a Deere a few months back and couldn't get used to the Deere. I think after you have it a while you will grow to like it.

I'm able to hold position on steep inclines by just lightly tapping the forward or reverse positions without using the brakes. I rarely use the brakes. Once you become accustomed to using the tractor it will grow on you. Just give it a chance.

As for the dent, you shouldn't be dropping stones on it. Assume the bucket was filled to full and was tilted full back and loader was raised to near top position. I'm anti-plastic in most instances. JD uses a very thick material but am still concerned about the long term affects on the hinging, etc. in cold weather. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
petushead

2004-05-10          85661

Thanks for the advice. Yeah my dad went too high with the bucket because he never used one before and filled it too full. He just wanted to see how much it could hall. So far the tractor has been able to do every chore asked of it. He had an old john deere (110) and this had the clutch brake on the left...think this is why he is having problems..overtime he will probably grow to like it...sure beats mowing 3 acres with a jd 110. I should add that one of the reasons my dad did not get the deere was he felt the plastic would not hold up in the long run just like you thought...he thinks a tractor should be metal and not plastic like a toy. Thanks again... ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
rklink

2004-05-10          85668

I know exactly how you feel. I too - bought a kubota 7610 instead of a deere. What a mistake. Don't let any one tell you different. I had the same problems. But now that you own a kubota I quess you'll have to make the best of it. Good luck ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-10          85673

This debate rages constantly. I bought a Kubota instead of a Deere, and am not at all sorry. I drove and researched both extensively before I bought. There were pro's and con's to both. In the long run, the Kubota has been a great tractor. Would I change some things, of course, but I would have changed things on the Deere also. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
Murf

2004-05-10          85678

I suspect that just as DRankin alluded, the lack of experience is a big part of the dissatisfaction level.

I have, to say the least, several Kubota's, as well as many other hydro. drive units of different type and manufacture. They will ALL do what you are describing. The only options are to use the reverse drive power to hold you in place, or practice the old 'heel-toe' style of operating the unit.

Hills can be a real challenge for ANYBODY, let alone unaccustomed to the machine.

Best of luck. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
jdcman

2004-05-10          85689

This is kind of an interesting discussion, this business of the hydro holding on a slope.

I have a jd 4400 hydro that I purchased before I bought a jd 245 lawn tractor. I also have property with varying degrees of slope up to about 33 deg that I routinely work with the tractor. I got use to the tractor crawling up and down these slopes with predictable behavior, i.e., “take my foot off the control and the tractor stops with little or no creep”. I made the mistake of believing that all hydro's perform the same and expected the 245 to be as well behaved as the 4400 --- big mistake.

Two rolling crashes later I've learned to just use the thing on flat ground. Very unpredictable.

kubota not so great

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-10          85708

I agree. but one thing is clear, never tow a hydro in gear. Forcing the motor to act as the pump will cause serious damage to the unit. The slow roll on a slope, depending on the gear selection, appears to within what either the pump can tolerate, or the pressure relief will accomodate. The last hydro I had wouldn't budge an inch without pedal movement. My kubota will roll, although I haven't really tested how much. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
Art White

2004-05-11          85763

I would say that the dealer never prepared the operators as to the operation of the tractor and it's potential. I feel that is the reponsibility of the dealer to spend some time with the new owner so they are aware of do's and don't. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2004-05-11          85791

I don't think someone should trash a tractor just because it is new and they aren't used to its operation. Using a tractor takes a lot of seat time to get accustomed to the machine. When I first bought my machine, it seemed like it took me forever to move a pile of dirt and now 75 hours later I have gotten faster at it and more efficient. I'm sure this trend will continue as I get more and more seat time. All tractors will have short comings that you are not happy with. Either you can learn to cope with the short coming or complain that it is no good. The latter will do nothing but compound your problems. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
grinder

2004-05-12          85832

Operator error aside,what is mechaniclly wrong with the machine? ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
Art White

2004-05-12          85835

I don't feel this is a tractor problem at all. It's to bad it got listed that way. I've seen people who can't drive cars after having doing it for years but nobody blames the car! Well most times they don't. ....

kubota not so great

View my Photos
jjfinn

2004-05-12          85901

I have a Kubota BX23 and have not had a problem with the situation you describe with either the HST or the brake. When I am ready to drop the load from the loader, I use the brake when I am pointed downhill. Then simply move my right foot immediately to the reverse drive pedal to begin backing up. Remember that you have a differential lock pedal on the left, if necessary, to help during your reverse. If the brake were on the left, how would one get to the differential lock pedal? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login