Go Bottom Go Bottom

Which JD Compact Would You Recomend

View my Photos
millers1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-30          84799

Looking for some educated opinions, here.

My local JD dealer is a family run outfit, that's been around for a long time, and has a good reputation. I've dealt with them before with lawn tractors and feel good about buying a compact tractor from them. They've been helpful but I can't decide on which unit to buy. I bought my LT155 there and plan on keeping it to keep the lawn cut (wife handles that one real well!).

I'll be finish grading about 3/4 acre, backfilling around a new pole barn, moving mulch, maintaining split rail fence, maybe pushing some snow and keeping the gravel driveways in good shape.
I'm thinking a front end loader, post digger and possibly a tiller is all I'll be running.

I've considered the 2210.. but I'm a bit nervous about the post hole digger that it will accept. Apparenlty, it's a sub-compact and requires the smaller implement. A standard catagory 1 will, I'm told, bend or break the top mount. The downside is the mini-post digger is around $900.. On the upside, this one is reasonably priced, has hydro tranny and 4wd.

I'm also considering a 4110 and 4210. They aren't out of the question but seem to get pricey when we start talking Hydro trans. The 790 seems interesting and I'm wondering if that's not a bargain compared to the others?

Someday.. I *might* want to run a mini- backhoe on my tractor, so that's a consideration, too...

So.. do you think there's any advantage to a hydro tranny over a gear drive, that will justify the price difference, for my application? Which unit(s) would you recomend (hopefully from your experience)?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-30          84812

I was thinking small until you mentioned the PHD. They require a reasonable amount of PTO hp. For the size piece of land and uses you propose, I would say the 790 is a near perfect fit and a great value compared to the 4000 Ten Series with respect to basic tractor applications and ability. That having been said, the ehydro and hydro transmissions are VERY nice and cover a much wider range of applications as well as increase substantially the ease of use. If the hydro transmission is not a priority for you and you want to keep cost down; I would suggest going with the 790. If you want the bells, whistles, and goodies that come on the 4000 Ten Series machines; I would suggest the 4110 or 4115. The 4115 being the priciest of the bunch but offering much in a small package. ....

View my Photos
justair

2004-04-30          84825

I would recommend the 4110. Go to your dealer and operate the different tractors and you will make a much better informed decision. I chose the 4110 over the 4115 because I plan on using a 60" deck. The 4115 was designed for use with a 72" mower.The hydraulic capacity is the same on both, except the 4115 has a little more hp and lugging power. I didn't feel the 4115 was worth the extra money for what I will be using the tractor for. I also ordered the FEL with the 61" bucket. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-05-02          84967

If there might be backhoe in your future, then your choices are the 4110, 4115 and the 790. These three, along with the 2210 and the 4010 are the most trouble free CUT's John Deere makes.

I have had a BX22, a 4100 Gear and currently a 4115. The 4115 is a very impressive machine. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-05-02          84973

The more I look at the 790, the more I like it. I got a price for a 4210, hydro, PHD, FEL at $18K. I think I can do a bit better on the 790.

I've never operated anything but a hydrostatic tranny and all of those have been on smallish lawn tractors. 790 being gear drive, I wonder if that's going to be a problem, given that we only currently have an acre we're messing with..? Small area, tight radiuses... lots of clutch use, maybe?? comments? ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-05-02          84974

Forgot to mention.. I can get the 4110, FEL, PHD, Hydro tranny for $15K... I think the 790 would come in right between the 4110 and 4210 as far as price... ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-05-02          85024

might i suggest a B7510, a can of green and a can of yellow. LOL HAHAHAHA just kidding. I would get the 4110 if you plan on getting a PHD. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-05-03          85102

Seriously considering the 790, now. From what I can see, it's not much more expensive than a 2210. Gonna talk to the dealer again this weekend. Might all come down to the difference in price of the Front End Loaders between the two models.. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-05-03          85104

Millers.... make sure you sit on and drive several models before committing.

Though I like the simplicity of the 790, I simply could not own one because I don't fit on it. The 4110 will have a lot more operator space. ....

View my Photos
millers1

2004-05-03          85116

Good idea.. I plan on doing some test rides this Saturday. Turns out the 790 is not much more expensive than the 2210 (not including accessories). The 4000 series is quite a bit more...

I'll check the operator's area and operation and see if it's going to work. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-05-04          85147

For what you want to do, I would stay away from the sub-compacts. You have already mentioned the limitations of the 3-point. That problem will come up for many other implements you may want to use. The 790 is a nice machine, but you will sacrafice the hydro. Hydrostats make FEL use so easy, that if you have FEL use in your future, you may want to look hard at a hydro tractor. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login