Go Bottom Go Bottom

When did JD start using composite body panels

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-05          78935

I don't want to start another Plastic vs. Metal debate here, but am curious. How long has JD been using composite body panels? Did the original 4000 series use plastic panels? I don't recall anybody complaining about them, except the anti-plastic folks who have strong preferences and little data, so I'm curious how they're holding up for everyone.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-06          78987

I have a JD4700 with plastic hood, fenders, which I think all the 4000's had. Everything is holding up, but i'll comment via pos and neg:
Pos:
1. No rust. my JD1070 was rusting at fender seams, etc even though it saw no salt.
2. Quieter than steel.
3. Holds paint. My JD755 and others had the paint lift off the bare metal. JD didn't believe in primers apparently.
Neg:
1. Poor fit. The 4700 hood, nose, side panels have problems with aligning to each other. The hood doesn't fit over the rubber air inlet tube.
2. Rear fender wiggle. When using the hand grips on the fenders, they bend and sag -- I prefer a solid feel. The fenders are fastened with a couple of bolts and fender washers -- needs additional strength. I like the NH boomers that have their grips attached to the ROPS.
3. Harder to repair.
4. Cheap feel. The cover to the fuse box (under the steering wheel) fits poorly and is poorly constructed.
For years I hated Chysler products because of poor fit, cheap materials on their bodywork and interiors. Apparently their engineers were handsomely rewarded every time they substituted 2 screws to hold something that needed 3.
I see that same trend in some JD products.
jim ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-06          78996

I don't think the fit and finish issues have anything to do with the materials used. The Kubota L series I looked at seemed to have the same fit and finish problems. I thought the NH had the best fit and finish of the big 3 and IIRC they used composite panels. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2004-03-06          79020

The 955 and 855 have a plastic hood/grill with steel side panels. They were introduced in 1986.
I have no idea if the larger tractor predate this introduction of plastic. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-06          79038

So did the 318 etc. garden tractors. The guy that farms my ground has a 4560 and I am pretty sure it has a steel hood. ....

View my Photos
Peter

2004-03-19          80403

I have a 1999 JD 4400. The plastic panels just above the instrument panels broke at the attachment points near where the hood pivots. This is a BIG negative since the attachment points are little tabs with holes in them. I don't see any method of doing a field repair.
No, I don't have any idea of when or how they broke. I just noticed a gap between the panels one day and saw the broken tabs. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-03-19          80405

I'm one of the guys that voice very opionated comments about plastic vs: steel in favor of steel. About a month ago I took one of the JD test drives as advertised on this board. I wanted the free chair! Was also thinking about up-grading from my 9 year old tractor to something new.

I intentionally opened the JD hood and tested it for fit and feel since that post had mentioned this. Was pretty impressed. Works differently after it is a year old and in cold weather. Was also impressed with the rear fenders. The composite material is 1/4" to 3/8" thick. Mostly, I've always seen some thin stuff.

I don't have much faith in the hinging methods on most of the plastic/composite hoods. In most instances when it looks like it is going to break, it will!

My newer Cadet lawnmower tractors are the same way. They break and no field fix is available. I'm somewhat convinced that some plastic is OK, but not in all the places it is currently being used. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-19          80408

I have no complaints about the plastic on the JD4310 and have not had any damage. I think its one less place to rust up on the tractor - and - if you keep it covered it should look like new for a long time. Lighter plastic hood and panels are easier to lift up and check things out. ....

View my Photos
Abbeywoods

2004-03-19          80419

Ken, from what I'm told by the dealer the 4000 Ten series is the first Deere to have composites to such an extent. The hood and side panels are net molded of a plastic generically known as Zytel (around since the early 90's), which has its color molded through the entire part for scratch and dent resistance. The fenders are a fiberglass like layup that requires finish trimming in a trim and drill bonnet after the resin has cured (look at the outside edge of the fender through a magnifier and you'll see the plys). I think they use a water jet to trim the part, but I admit I could be wrong. As far as the fit argument goes I pretty much think it is a learning curve at the factory. Early models may suffer until everyone gets up to speed. In defense of Deere, my 4610 has exemplary workmanship. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-19          80423

Fatigue failures certainly aren't limited to plastic panels. We have to drive on a gravel road about five miles to get to our house. After a couple of years of this one day the trunklid on our Ford Taurus popped open. The bolts attaching the trunk latch to metal trunklid pulled completely through. The dealer welded it and it held for another six months before breaking again. This time the dealer welded and reinforced it. It's held for six months anyway. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-19          80428

I have had steel and now the plastic with my current tractor (4410) and I think I like the plastic. Its quieter as already mentioned and can be restored to as good as new with a buffer and some McQuires #49 Heavy Duty Oxidation Remover and some Gold Class wax. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login