Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
DennoAce
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-28          78169

Just wanted to say thanks to all who gave me advice when I asked for it. I could not find the thread for some reason to simply post it there but one of my main issues was gear vs. hydro. It basically came out that hydro was better for sure and I do see why. BUT, I ended up getting what I consider a very sweet deal ($11,500 with 410 loader) on the gear model, so I had to grab it. I tried it out and it works sweet, also the loader easily does two functions at once (another concern of mine) despite an opinion I read somewhere to the contrary.

Anyway I can't wait for her to arrive later this week....something I found INCREDIBLY ODD was that the dealer (he could be reading this right now) has to go to another state to get me AG tires, and he said I was just about the only one to want AG tires in 3 years of selling CUTs!

Also I went to another dealer and he said he couldn't even FIND a 4110gear to sell me closer than IDAHO! (I live in Maine) The dealer I finally bought from had 4 right there and it seems they are few and far between (??) so I grabbed one.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-28          78171

DennoAce, congratulations on a fine tractor and purchase! Depending on where you are located; you may want to consider having the dealer installing an engine block heater kit. The worklight kits are another really handy option as well. Get both front and rear facing work lights. Now is the best time to negotiate the best price on impliments if you hand any thoughts of buying them as well. Enjoy! ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-28          78172

Congratulations on your new tractor! Hope you enjoy it.

Tires are sort of funny. My dealer told me that in 2002 they couldn't sell tractors with R4s and the very next year they couldn't sell tractors with R1s. Goes in cycles I guess. ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-28          78183

DennoAce
Was that the special in Uncle Henry's? Chad Little? ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-02-28          78185

- Thanks for the advice and salutations guys. I am too cheap to buy any attachments now although you are right. I was gonna get the heater thrown in but thought I would see how it goes. They seem to start very well anyway? I may put one in later myself. I asked the price on a 46 hoe and there is NO WAY I am spending $5k on a backhoe. I will build one myself someday.

- Grinder, yes it is the Uncle Henry's deal. Are you a dealer? Or just looking? I assume you are from Maine in any case...where from? I am near Augusta. ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-02-28          78205

Hi Denno,

You gonna love you machine for sure...I have the GEAR JD 4100 and I remember your post and commented in it as well. I guess I painted a picture on the gear models as being not desirable or capable. Thats far from what I was trying to say. The gear is a great machine and very capable, and the hydro has advantages. But it better to have a machine you like regardless, and I love mine...
As for Implements to more you can get now the more money you can save. Otherwise Corriher has some great prices !
Post some picts when you can

Ducati ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-28          78213

I miss my 4100 Gear sometimes. I had a lot of fun on that tractor.

Ducati, I never asked.... what sort of tires do you have on yours? ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-02-28          78218

I'm surprised you still miss your 4100 gear!! I have the R4's and they are CaCl filled w/ tubes..

Duc ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-28          78225

I guess it is inherently a little more "tractor like" with all those levers and pedals. Kinda like learning to play a pipe organ and then stepping down to a keyboard......

Anyway, DENNO: If'n you don't mind to much, why do you want R-1's? Trips to the woodlot? ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-29          78236

DennoAce
No,I'm not a dealer,I was just curious.I looked everywhere
last summer and fall at tractors. I missed them somehow.
I thought that was a great deal on that tractor! I ended
up with a Kubota 7500,nice machine but now that I have it I wish I had something with a hoe,and maybe a little bigger.
How are those guy's to deal with?
Belgrade ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-29          78247

Denno, sounds like a nice tractor. So far I like how my gear tractor works with the FEL. I like that I can easily idle the motor down with the foot throttle which reduces the pump flow for more delicate work. In my case it was picking up and piling logs with a grapple.

I have a more typical loader project coming this summer, digging sand out from a sidehill so a friend can build his cabin into an earth berm. I'll see how well it works then.
Dave ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-29          78258

Congrads on the new 4110, you'll love it. Before I ever bought a CUT the dealer brought out a 4100 hydro. It was a nice machine, but having driven farm tractors all my life that have the brake pedals for your right foot and a clutch for the left foot I was just more comfortable with a gear drive. I'm going on my 3'rd 4000 series with 12/12 reverser. My wife loves her 345 mower with the same hydro control pedals as a 4000 series, so I guess it's just what ever your the mosr relaxed with. Probably 50% of the hours on our 4000's are loader work so the shuttle just seems a natural for that use. My 4410 is scheduled to be built on Mar 12'th, so I too am like an expectant father. I'm real anxious to see the factory canopy for it, as my experience with umbrellas hasn't been good, like puting the tractor on a trailer, starting down the road, checking the rear view mirror. After a chewing myself out for not folding the umbrella, I thought a canopy might stand my absent mindness a little better. Again have a ball with your new toy. Frank. ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-02-29          78261

Denno, sounds to me like your dealer went the extra mile. My 4100 took 2 MONTHS to come. Dealer had told me when I ordered that gear model might even come *quicker*, but I knew that anything not the most common model would be a problem. He told me if it turned out to be long, he might be able to get one from another dealer -- no dice.

Anyway, you'll love it. I was out with my new v-bar chains yesterday -- THANKS GUYS! -- clearing 18" of snow off the garden so the soil would warm up weeks earlier. Crazy, never would have dreamed of doing that before. Actually it was only semi-successful because we hadn't thought about it in the fall, so there was a lot of junk in the garden (BIG rocks, fencing, posts) buried under the snow, and I eventually chickened out not wanting to screw up the tractor.

But the machine will obviously do it, and next year we'll be ready... ....

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
DennoAce

2004-02-29          78274

- Thanks again all for the nice comments.

- DRankin, Actually I am still dumbfounded why many people would NOT want the R1s! hehe I can see that they are definately a good "all around" tire if you mow grass along with other stuff but all of my work is definately more basic ground work. I plan to do a lot of bucket work, till, woods work (trail-making and firewood pullin'), and eventually build a backhoe, etc. I have used R4s on construction machinery (Case 580k, skid-steer, etc) and yes they are a great compromise tire for different sites but in the really rough stuff they just don't bite enough and in the muck or deep wet snow they quickly turn into slicks. Not to mention that as far as I know, they are more expensive to replace and while I like the flotation aspect (esp. in the front), I still would trade that for a little less stress on the front end parts due to width and needing more power steering help to turn them. I used the same logic to specify the smaller 49" bucket for the 410. Yes more size is nice but in the long long run, the smaller the bucket the less stress on the machine overall and the less temptation to overload the front. I am pretty nit-picky I know but I have worked on and with machinery all my life and I know these little things do add up over time and hours.. Of course these are just my opinions. Again if I was doing more "estate" type work I would probably go R4, and I will admit, as some others have said...the R4s do look pretty damn cool. :)

- grinder, They seem ok to deal with although my experience is rather limited so far as I have only been there to buy the machine. I will know more if troubles arise. That is usually when you see a dealer's true colors. I will keep you posted if I can.

Bought new 4110 gear

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-29          78282

I honestly can't say that I've ever saw a 4000 series with R-1 tires around here. You still see a rare new one now and then with the closed tread lawn mower type tread that towns or golf courses buy for mostly mowing duty, but I'd say 98% of the 4000 tractors around here have R-4's. I too have worked around construction and ag equipment all my life, and R-1's are far superior for absolute pulling traction, but just a little too severe for turf type duty, so the R-4's seem to be a nice compromise. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login