Go Bottom Go Bottom

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
sshuma
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-05          76062

When purchasing my 4310, I found that JD doesn't make wood splitters. I'd like to get a medium-duty 3-pt splitter for household firewood. I see Northern Tool and Equipment (northerntool.com) has a horizontal and a vertical/horizontal model -- but it's not clear to me what else is needed to make it work on my tractor. Any help -- or other suggestions -- would be greatly appreciated!

BTW, my 4310 has Dual + Third SCV's, and Power Beyond.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
loghouse95

2004-02-05          76064

you will need hydraulics for your wood splitter, so does your tractor have a remote spool ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-05          76065

This is an idea if you wanted to make use of the FEL to mount the splitter. ....

Link:   click here

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-05          76066

Here is another design. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-05          76067

This is probably overkill. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-05          76068

Good simple design. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-05          76070

In my opinion, you are far better off with stand alone gas engine powered log splitter. They are cheaper and puts a LOT less hours on your tractor, not to mention the potential of introducing contamination into your hydraulic system. On the other hand no extra engine to preserve of maintain. If you don't mind the extra hours on your tractor, its definitely an option. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-05          76077

sshuma your power beyond is plenty to run an average size splitter. I really do not have a preference for a 3ph they are all about the same. Now if you build your own that is another topic.

I am building a large splitter and intend to run it from the power beyond for a while. Murf has a cool idea so I am shopping for a small 2-3 cyl diesel with a BIG pump.

Good luck ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-02-06          76176

harvey you might try a forklift or skidsteer slavage yard. Most of them have large hydro pumps. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-09          76410

Power Beyond Kit for 4310 (etc.) tractors is LVB25085 (previously priced at $331 CDN, but now marked OBSOLETE and no price available)

I am trying to order one for my tractor so I'll see.. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-09          76413

Far as I know most any dealer or hydraulics shop or many ordinary owners could make a PB kit. They are just fittings, hoses and brackets so another valve or valve assembly can be hooked in series with the loader's PB return line. A kit also would include a hose to connect the two ends of the PB line back together when the rear valve isn't connected. I think the only thing special about the JD kit is that it was intended for their hoes. Their hoes use different fittings for the inlet and return lines, which matched the hose fittings supplied so a hoe couldn't be connect backwards.

Incidentally, this type of PB hookup still connects with the 3ph, which is down-stream. Any valve fed by the PB kit should be power-beyond rated. Some valves would have a separate tank line that would have to be plumbed into the loader valve's tank line or blank plug on the cases. I don't know how JD hoes handled the PB thing. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-09          76418

In a lot of cases (primarily with Japanese CUT's) the PB kit is a machined block which replaces a blank plate in the under the seat area.

Although I have seen them made by machine shops they are usually no cheaper than the factory unit. If the factory no longer supplies them that's another story.

Kadorken, did you try the 'green power group' a group of dealers banded together now as a single unit, you can check the parts inventory of 8 dealers with a single call, if any one of them has it they send it to your nearest dealer. See the link below for contact information.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Green Tractors.

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
jbs

2004-02-09          76462

You should have plenty of power with the power beyond kit already installed. You might need longer hoses to reach the splitter. Good luck, JBS ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-02-10          76506

Even though part is marked obsolete on my JD Parts web page, it let me order it anyway (online), and it sent the request to my dealer. The dealer emailed me within 20 minutes (7:53AM) requesting confirmation (and visa number). I called, and the parts should arrive in 1-2 weeks.

Price was $309 CDN (down from $331 earlier this year when CDN dollar was weaker). Still at $210 US versus $309 CDN, that is a $1.47 exchange rate (a little high given today's currency rates).

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-10          76507

You may be right Murf. I think I was describing the kits that were discussed here some years back in the 4000 series days. I don't recall any mention of a block but I might have missed something. The special hose to reconnect the PB line was mentioned several times. We even helped somebody whose tractor wouldn't run right after removing the hoe (the hose apparently got separated from the tractor). The sort of thing you describe sounds like a better arrangement and the price also is less than what I recall discussed.

Even though I assumed more positive connectors than common quick-connects would be used, quick-connects aren't desirable in PB lines and they also have greater losses then threaded connectors. I wonder if what I described was an old type kit and that's what is obsolete?

The block you mentioned would be especially desirable if it has an internal passage that automatically connected the PB line when implement feed lines were disconnected. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-10          76521

Tom, I don;t know about the other brands, but on our older 'Bota's the PB block did in fact automatically connect the PB passage.

The norm for high flow rate lines is to use flat-faced quick-connects, they have much better flow rates than the comparable sized ball-type, they are also easier to connect under pressure.

With a splitter getting optimum flow might be handy as it would speed up cycle times, tractor-powered units are notoriously slow. They are still faster & less work than the 'manual' version though.

Best of luck. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-10          76527

Morning Murf: Yep me too; I was taking my description from how I remember the JD kit described as opposed to have actually seen one. I didn't think what I understood sounded really great and the need for a connecting line when the hoe wasn't mounted just isn't very good. The Kubota setup sounds much better than what I understood about the JD kit--maybe it's reflected in the cost too. Flat face connectors are what I see on the rear of many larger tractors and now you've confirmed why. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Abbeywoods, LLC

2004-02-10          76533

The power beyond kit is important for any attachment like your potential purchase of a wood splitter. The 3rd selective control valves are great for operating a remote cylinders, they may/may not have the flow required to run a splitter. Remember, your hydraulics are open center, so you need to have a return to tank line, and it sounds like you do. I wouldn't buy a 3 pt log splitter, and own a trailer unit with self contained hydraulics. I say this because it gives me the flexibility to use my loader to stage/load heavier pieces onto the splitter. I like the freedom a separate unit offers, the tractor is free to do other work without having to remove the splitter. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-10          76536

For anyone who might be interested Harbor Freight has log splitters on sale. For some reason HF does not allow links to this sale item. The item# is 41912. If you type this in the item # search on their website; the log splitter comes up priced at $899 for a 24 ton trailerable log splitter. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-10          76537

Here is a little smaller unit also on sale. For some reason HF does not allow links to this sale item. The item# is 46155. If you type this in the item # search on their website; the log splitter comes up priced at $799 for a 22 ton trailerable log splitter. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
yodaddyo

2004-02-18          77264

hi guys, just a little spin on this log splitter thing. i recently purchased a 4310, (SO FAR IM NOT TOO ENAMORED WITH IT). i bought a 3pt chipper for it and then i was going to buy a splitter from northern tool but then realized i would be doing two things, one running up the hours on it and two i would have to keep changing implements. so i have decided to get a gas engine splitter. any thoughts on this? ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-19          77281

I already had a gas powered log splitter but I would have bought a stand alone splitter regardless for the same reasons. I don't want to run up all of those hours on my 4410 when I can do it on the Honda engine that powers the splitter. In my case, that would mean 50 or more hours per year. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-19          77290

I designed and built a trailer mounted hydraulic power-pack for a friend a few years ago. He had several hydraulic and/or PTO driven implements that he wanted to be able to power WITHOUT having to connect them to a machine.

It was basically just a small trailer with an engine, pump, reservoir and cat. 1 'hitch'. This allowed him to hook up to his splitter, stump grinder or whatever else he wanted to have powered without dedicating a machine to the task.

It was powered by a 4 cyl. Toyota from a wrecked pickup, the output shaft was machined to drive the pump directly, the clutch was lever-operated. This allowed a variance in gears through the transmission for different loads. For light loads the transmission could be put in high gear and the engine just slightly above idle, for heavier loads the engine could be sped up and the transmission placed in a lower gear. It would comfortably run all day on only a few dollars of gas. The overall cost of building it with scrounged parts was less than buying a few 'self-powered' items brand new.

The big benefit to him was his ability to easily travel with it. He didn't have full-size truck, just a mid-sized SUV, so trailering his CUT would be too much for it. However, he still wanted to be able to use his splitter, etc., at the cottage and self-contained splitters are not desined for highway travel anyways.

Best of luck.

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-19          77294

As far as "running up the hours" and 3 point splitters are "notorious slow", I have a little experience to share now.

I am sure that the free standing units are faster, based only on their rated hydraulic flows. I have never actually seen one run to have some sort of comparison.

The hydraulic flow on my 4115 is rated at 5 or 5.5 gallons per minute when you separate out the power steering system.

That produces enough power to split a cord of wood in about 60 to 75 minutes.

I'm not talking a face cord here....but a full 4x4x8 cord. and I am working at waist level, standing up. Not down on my knees.

So, if I burn 5 cords a winter how much time am I running up on my tractor? Maybe 7 or 7.5 hours. A year. And fuel? It's just sipping, since it's not doing any real work.

Most of you folks have tractors larger than mine with greater hydraulic flows. Some of you could crank your engines down below 2000 rpm's and keep up with me.

As far as tying the tractor down.... my splitter sits horizontally on the 3 point. If I want to use the tractor or FEL all I have to do is let go of the handle, get in the seat and drive away.

My splitter weighs at least 300 pounds, so it is actually pretty decent ballast for hauling wood, which is not your heaviest load in the FEL.

I guess I am not seeing any serious drawbacks at this point. It certainly takes less time to hook the splitter up to the 3 point and attach a couple of hoses than it does to futz with a gummed up carburetor that you haven't run for a year. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-03-02          78482

My search for a splitter continues. I've found a couple of nice options -- American has a splitter that you can add a PTO-powered pump to at a later date if you find the tractor hydraulics won't drive the splitter fast enough. Nice option. But so far, I haven't been able to find one that is iMatch compatible.

Does anyone have experience in making something iMatch compatible? What is involved? ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-02          78486

If you are going to go to a tractor-powered splitter then you really need to find a splitter with an adjustable backstop on the hydraulics.

If you look at the splitter in my # 8 picture you will see that there is an 'extra' arm on the lever that actuates the valve. This extra arm contacts an adjustable stopper on the moving portion of the splitter, by adjusting this stopper you can adjust the point at which the splitter stops opening automatically. If the wood is all 16" long why open the splitter to 24", the extra 8" times two (open & close) means it is travelling an extra 16" every stroke, that means it is travelling 1/3 farther than it needs to in order to accomplish the same work. This all contributes to an overall slower operation.

Best of luck. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-02          78490

Here is the unit I bought: ....

Link:   

Click Here

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-02          78491

Your unit is equipped with an auto-return type of valve, as most splitters are. The problem is that the valve stays in the return position until the cylinder is fully retracted.

I don't know of many people who burn 24" long firewood, in fact more and more I am seeing that people prefer 12" firewood over 16" long pieces.

In most cases it is a pretty easy adaptation to make the cylinder stop where you want it to.

Best of luck. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-03-02          78495

I stick a 4 to 6 inch chunk of wood on the other end.

I don't worry about splitting it since I have to stand there with my hand on the controls anyway. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-02          78499

That works too, you just have to be careful about it kicking out if the wood is not cut very straight.

The one in my picture also has a handy feature.

There is no detent for the 'neutral' position on the valve, and there is a spring which holds it in the retract position. This works like a 'deadman switch', if you let go of the handle the spring pulls the valve into the retract position and when the stopper hits the valve lever it pushes the valve until it reaches neutral and the cylinder stops moving.

Best of luck. ....

Wood Splitter for 4310

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-02          78505

sshuma, as to your question about making implements iMatch compatible. I have experienced four problem areas on Cat-1 implements with iMatch (not that there aren't more, but...)

First, the vertical distance between the top and lower pins needs to be about 15" (not sure of exact dimension). Often implements are more like 18".

Second, the top and bottom pins need to be approximately in the same vertical plane. I have a Jinma chipper whose top pin is about 6" rearward from the bottom pins and that causes a problem.

Third, when the bottom pins of the implement are properly located in the iMatch adapter there has to be enough room for the cams to move out to lock the pins in place. I had some Rankin forks whose brackets interered with these cams.

Fourth, on some implements the pins are too close to the ground to allow the iMatch to drop down low enough to pick up. This is an inconvenience if you have to lift the implement up to get it onto the iMatch adapter and defeats the ease-of-use feature of the quick hitch.

Also, the bottom pins have to be spaced 26" apart - I haven't found this to be a problem but it might be on some implements.

The solution to these problem may be simple to impossible. I have a 3-point carry all and a welder charged me $50 to relocate the bottom pins and fabricate a new top pin bracket. The same guy is charging me $75 to modify the Jinma chipper to work with iMatch. In the case of my pallet forks the dealer is trading them for forks from a different manufacturer. If you have a welding shop in your area you might stop in and talk to them about it.

The iMatch is great, but if you have incompatible implements there is a hassle factor up front. Once fixed, though, it sure is nice to use. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login